Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    ArmandoG28 wrote: »
    short people that move my settings .

Tall people that move my settings :)

Got to admit, in truth, when people ask to work in with me, once I point out the adjustments that would need to be made to do that, we usually agree it would be easier, and quicker, to just wait until I am finished.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You know when people are listening vs talking because you can hear their half of the conversation. Last week a girl was yelling at her kid on the phone while occupying a leg machine and flipping her legs up and down like she was doing something. Very little effort bring expended. I did multiple sets on multiple machines while she was carrying on. I don’t come to gym to listen to other people’s annoying conversations. It’s very distracting.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I text my son to check on him if he is home while I’m at the gym, sometimes I answer an urgent work email that comes in, and I have my workouts stored on my phone so it would be out even if I wasn’t doing those things. Who cares? Unless someone is sitting on equipment not actually using it there shouldn’t be a problem. Everyone there paid for membership and has an equal right to use it
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can always go to Planet Fitness :smiley: The one I go to has signs plastered all over the gym "no cell phones allowed except in the lobby"
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    At my YMCA, there are teen folks that bring cell phones into the large Jacuzzi spa tub and take selfies or do skype/face time with their girl friends/boy friends.

The gym has a assigned area for cell phone use, and it is not in the pool areas and locker rooms. But the life guards do nothing about it.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What about the people who are training at say 85-95% of their 1rm that day and require 3-5 minutes of rest before safely and efficiently completing their next set?

On my phone or bot in still gunna be using that rack for upwards of an hour.

But if that person is just sitting there for the sake of sitting there, then yes I see your point. At that point, why not put your big gurl panties on and ask them how long they’ll be or if you can work in.

People tend to move faster when they feel pressured.
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,785 Member
    Options
    Im on my phone all during my sesh.....my workout is recorded as i go on bodyspace .....reps and weight ....not a full on convo tho ...and in between sets....text sometines...not an ish for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You can always go to Planet Fitness :smiley: The one I go to has signs plastered all over the gym "no cell phones allowed except in the lobby"

That would be a deal breaker for me. My phone serves as my workout tracker, my rest timer, and has my workout playlist. So I’m definitely on mine while at the gym. Any gym that says I can’t use it during my workouts isn’t getting my money.

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options

That would be a deal breaker for me. My phone serves as my workout tracker, my rest timer, and has my workout playlist. So I’m definitely on mine while at the gym. Any gym that says I can’t use it during my workouts isn’t getting my money.

I only go there for cardio. I belong to another gym that doesn't have strict rules
  • jumpsquats
    jumpsquats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The amount of people I see running on the treadmill having full on conversations over the phone
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jumpsquats wrote: »
    The amount of people I see running on the treadmill having full on conversations over the phone

Perfectly reasonable during an easy paced run.

I did 15Km the other night and could have easily held a conversation throughout.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ha! I knew people were going to lose their minds over this post! Sorry Stacie, but people just sit around and wait for posts like this so they can go in for the kill. No worries, it is all good. Many posters get what you are saying and agree with you, myself included.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Sorry, when I'm lifting 90% of my max and above my rests are long and I'll do what I damn well please during them.

I’m with you on this. Sometimes I need more time than someone doing a bro split or even hypertrophy work. If it means sitting there for 5-10minutes between sets I will sit there. I am not going to stare at a wall or perv out watching folks. So why not read the news?

I don’t mind if people want to work in but ask they help reset my weights. Strangely no one ever asks to work in. They would rather wait and that’s fine with me also.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jumpsquats wrote: »

Perfectly reasonable during an easy paced run.

I did 15Km the other night and could have easily held a conversation throughout.

The bad thing is, in most commercial gyms. because of the crappy music piped in and the noise of the cardio equipment, you have to talk so loud that people in a large circle around can hear you.
  • Ripd27
    Ripd27 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @ Melissa6771
    "Being respectful and basic etiquette in a gym is not a lot to ask. If you're not using something, don't take up that space. Whether it's texting, talking or using it as a coat or coffee rack. If you're using it, that's a totally different story.

I think we can all agree that we use our phones for music, tracking and other stuff. That's normal."

I couldn't agree with you more. I think so many people have posted about what they do that would be considered legitimate use of a phone such as scrolling through a playlist, etc. I do not believe that was the point of the OP.
    Being respectful is a two way street. I wouldn't dream of rushing someone along who is legitimately using equipment just because I had a certain ideal order in my head for what I'd like to do. Just to make this perfectly clear, there is basically zero chance of confusing rest between sets, logging stats, or scrolling a playlist with idle *#$@%*% around. With that being said, the people using equipment as a texting chair, coat rack, or whatever other overly entitled behavior would highly benefit from not dreaming of making others wait just because they have a certain ideal order in their heads...being texting and socializing first and working out a distant second.