why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Everybody chain smoked. Just because they were skinny doesn't mean they were healthy.

Most of my father's family were smokers, and none of them chain smoked.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    That's almost a liter bottle. I can't even finish that much soda in a whole day, nevermind a single meal. A 1.5l bottle lasts 2-3 days for me.

Yeah, was never a problem for me. A liter of pop with lunch was normal up to a couple years ago. Now it's that much water.

Normal portion size is an 8oz glass at table (maybe a 12oz if you like), so why do people drink more than that when buying meals out??

Your normal portion is not my normal portion.
    I can easily drink 40 oz of whatever beverage I’m having with supper, be that water, Coke Zero, regular coke, root beer or milk (though that much milk does weigh heavy on the stomach).
    I’m that guy who the waiter can never keep up with when it comes to refills. I drink no less when I eat at home. It’s very rare that I get through a meal without a refill or two.

Okay. So that's your usual portion, not necessarily a "normal" portion.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    they rode bikes,skateboards, danced and walked to the park to play. they ate basic meals without them adding 100 ingredients AND we were broke/poor so couldn't spend much money on groceries. Now days...it seems as though we have to have a recipe a mile long and with bread on the side. dessert every night. the list is endless.

Yup!! I often talk about this change too, whenever I can get someone to listen. :)

Why does food always have to be a "recipe" now??

What an odd odd string of conversation this is. I have three of my grandmothers cookbooks. She had all sorts of recipes handwritten as well as the actual cookbooks... She wrote them on the pages at the front and back of the book plus stuck them on tablet paper in between the other pages. Recipes for things like soups, goulash, bread, pies, cakes, meatloaf, meatballs... Not sure where this idea that recipes are some kind of new fangled thing came from. These cookbooks were from the 20s and 30s.

I get what you mean, but I had a lot of "plain" food at home, compared to what I see when we go out socially now. Why do good old healthy vegetables need to have oil, cheese, fruit, nuts, bacon, etc. added to them to make a modern SALAD!!?
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    I know this is a couple of decades off (1950's) but this is one thing

8f9b6gg6o93h.jpg

other than that people use to get a lot more physical activity... today physical activity = checking facebook and seeing what new and wondrous things you can be offended with and whine about

Let's not forget, back then people went to restaurants on special occasions and most cooking were home meal cooking. Nowadays, it's common to see people at restaurants/fast food chains almost every day.

Again, another statement that makes me wonder a) if you were alive in the '70s, and/or b) if the experience was really that different in different places.

We went out to eat quite often - at least as often as we do nowadays. Definitely at least once a week, sometimes more, and 100% definitely not just for special occasions. Sometimes it was a chain restaurant, sometimes a mom-and-pop place, sometimes fast food.

Yes I agree there were and still are cultural differences between places. Yes I was alive in the 70s and my parents didn't do this eating out thing. The occasional fast food restaurant for a treat, but never restaurant meals as a substitute for our daily meals at home. And now I don't do it in my own house with my wife and children either. Just doesn't appeal to me.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    they rode bikes,skateboards, danced and walked to the park to play. they ate basic meals without them adding 100 ingredients AND we were broke/poor so couldn't spend much money on groceries. Now days...it seems as though we have to have a recipe a mile long and with bread on the side. dessert every night. the list is endless.

Yup!! I often talk about this change too, whenever I can get someone to listen. :)

What an odd odd string of conversation this is. I have three of my grandmothers cookbooks. She had all sorts of recipes handwritten as well as the actual cookbooks... She wrote them on the pages at the front and back of the book plus stuck them on tablet paper in between the other pages. Recipes for things like soups, goulash, bread, pies, cakes, meatloaf, meatballs... Not sure where this idea that recipes are some kind of new fangled thing came from. These cookbooks were from the 20s and 30s.

I get what you mean, but I had a lot of "plain" food at home, compared to what I see when we go out socially now. Why do good old healthy vegetables need to have oil, cheese, fruit, nuts, bacon, etc. added to them to make a modern SALAD!!?

Mostly, so that people actually want to eat it.
  • KatsuKitty
    KatsuKitty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    meth :laugh:

Nope, meth wasn't invented yet! It was all weed, coke, acid, PCP, shrooms...
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    we ate less snacks , and fast food was not easy to get in most neighborhoods . we had to walk 3 miles to the cinema if we wanted to save the buss fair for a 26 cent Mc Donalds cheeseburger after the movie ! that would have been about 1971- 72
    we walked to school and to the library , If we wanted to go any where further walked to the T station when we got to our stop we walked to the pool or skating rink , played outside earned a dime or a quarter running to the store for neighbors
    ( because if you were indoors mom would find chores )for play time we rode bikes, climbed trees , skated . in the winter we made snow caves and forts and went ice skating and sledding . TV was so limited and reception was not great .
    It is so different now even the grocery store is full of fast food
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    KatsuKitty wrote: »
    meth :laugh:

Nope, meth wasn't invented yet! It was all weed, coke, acid, PCP, shrooms...

Check your history:

"By 1970 amphetamines by themself or combined in other mixtures turned out to be one of the most abused drugs besides marijuana throughout the United States"

http://www.crystalrecovery.com/the-history-of-crystal-meth.html
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

But fresh veggies and salad taste perfectly fine and delicious on their own. If you aren't hungry enough to eat fresh veggies, you probably aren't that hungry.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

This. Also fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate bars and chocolate biscuits were treats, for parites and weekends only (and not always at weekends)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

But fresh veggies and salad taste perfectly fine and delicious on their own. If you aren't hungry enough to eat fresh veggies, you probably aren't that hungry.

But then, my salad is a side dish. If I want a light lunch or dinner, I want to add some protein to it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    That's almost a liter bottle. I can't even finish that much soda in a whole day, nevermind a single meal. A 1.5l bottle lasts 2-3 days for me.

Yeah, was never a problem for me. A liter of pop with lunch was normal up to a couple years ago. Now it's that much water.

Normal portion size is an 8oz glass at table (maybe a 12oz if you like), so why do people drink more than that when buying meals out??

Your normal portion is not my normal portion.
    I can easily drink 40 oz of whatever beverage I’m having with supper, be that water, Coke Zero, regular coke, root beer or milk (though that much milk does weigh heavy on the stomach).
    I’m that guy who the waiter can never keep up with when it comes to refills. I drink no less when I eat at home. It’s very rare that I get through a meal without a refill or two.

Okay. So that's your usual portion, not necessarily a "normal" portion.

And what data do you have to show that people only drink 8 oz of fluid with their dinner when dining at home?

You claimed that people drink more when eating out than in their own homes. That isn't my experience nor have I ever witnessed it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Because it tastes better?? People don't tend to go out to eat with expectations of plain, boring food. If we're going to pay good money for a meal, we want it to be delicious.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There were a lot of reason, but one people forget is that there were also stronger diet pills as well. There were a lot of people on diets even back then, it's not like everyone was thin and never had to work at keeping their weight down.

I remember my grandmother (who was morbidly obese) eating "Ayds" diet candies in the '70s. The active ingredient was benzocaine, later changed to Phenylpropanolamine (aka beta-hydroxyamphetamine).

My mother did Dexatrim, which was Dexedrine and I remember Ayds and a few others. Then there were also the fad diets like the Scarsdale Diet and my mother was at Weight Watchers so often I thought I was an orphan! :lol: