The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• gilahalleli
    gilahalleli Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    drjoe68 wrote: »
    Two weeks away from my 50th b-day. Managed to lose 10 lbs since mid January, hoping to lose another 30 this year to get me back to my 29 year old body. Feel free to add me.

Mazal tov on your birthday!

• Mx6goatgirl
    Mx6goatgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    Total noob here. Where do I start? I'll be 49 on 11th March, (Mother's Day!) I'm 5' 4" been a bit overweight most of my life. I was athletic once, for about a year in my early thirties, had a baby when I was 38 and due to the shock of this I was about 8.5 stone (54kg-ish) just after having my daughter. Then I gave up smoking completely and ballooned to 13.5st (85.7kg). I have been battling, winning, then losing with my weight ever since. I had some success with the Michael Mosely "5&2", though I did "4&3", last spring and went from 12st (76.6kg) to 10.5st (66.5kg) in about 3 months. I wear a fit2 watch now I got free with my last mobile contract and walk every day with my dog Jake. I average 20k steps a day. However, my weight did creep up a bit as I can really love my food, then at the tail end of last year my dog tore his tendon and was banned from all walks except for toilet trips while he healed, (5 mins, on lead, 3 x a day!00), and, ironically, I slipped a disc and after an MRI it looked as though I was heading for a spinal surgery but, thankfully, I was put in contact with a marvellous chiropractor who rescued me but I was also reduced to being sedentary for months. Both mutt and me are back on track with walking again and I started dieting 2nd week in January when I was 12.5st (79.6kg). I have managed to get down to 11st 5lb (72.5kg) but it's been slowing down and my daughter, now 10, was off school on half term last week and I found it impossible to fast and make lunch for her, so I tried My Fitness Pal while she was off and it wasn't terrible. I lost 2lb. Fasting does make me irritable on diet days, (My daughter calls me "Hangry"!) and I think I'm finding MFP easier than fasting but want to reach out to other users for motivation, tips etc. Questions. Should I go Premium? If you are using MFP do you input all your cardio? It bumps my calorie intake by 700kcals for 2 x 90 min walks. Does eating all those added calories stunt your weight loss much? Using MFP with friends can be a real motivator. How do I add/find friends? (sniff). Username "Mx6goatgirl"
  • gilahalleli
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hello there!
    If you are using MFP do you input all your cardio? It bumps my calorie intake by 700kcals for 2 x 90 min walks. Does eating all those added calories stunt your weight loss much?

I'm new to MFP but have been using LoseIt; just made the switch. I record the exercise BUT I don't add it to the food budget unless it's a huge workout (e.g. I run a 10K) and I need additional calories to get through it. Even then, I don't eat the entire value. I figure that the exercise it giving me a bit of an extra push for weight loss. I'm also assuming that the program is probably more generous than it should be about how much I'm burning. :)
  • gilahalleli
    Options
    Question for those of you who have already dropped weight.... My #1 (and #2 and #3 etc) motivation for keeping myself on this diet is vanity. I want to buy nicer clothes. I would like to get more male attention. I would like to date more. I want to like how I look and have more confidence. (My doctor gives no *kitten* what I use to keep me on the diet, so long as I stay on the damn thing and my cholesterol goes down. She's a practical sort.)

The problem? I'm 47. And half of me is thinking "you can lose the weight, and you'll look better, but it's far too late for any ugly duckling stories and/or big changes in your love life and you are deluded if you think otherwise. That train has left the station and you missed it."

Anyone here have any nice encouraging stories to keep me going here?
  • pattydook
    pattydook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the community, just starting my journey. I will be 47 this year in October. I am looking for support and encouragement and offering the same in return. Please feel free to add me!
  • gilahalleli
    Options
    Our work week started yesterday. I've been rocking and rolling for 36 hours already. :(
  • mcummins78
    mcummins78 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So I'm 40 in July and looking to be fit (again) for 40. I'm not sure when I became unfit (and a bit fat) but it definitely sneaked up on me. I used to be super fit and healthy so I know what I need to do but I seem to have lost some of my willpower! Anyone who fancies a chat or just wants to add me...go ahead I'm pretty friendly!

M
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    39andfat wrote: »
    what age are you considered middle aged? (asking for a friend)
    Lol! Tell “your friend” it depends.
    Someone, in this thread I believe, stated 40 is the new 20!
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am not the best friend for diet and exercise motivation. I often give in to my cravings for chocolate, pizza, Russians, cookies, cakes, etc. Plus I have to sometimes drag myself out to exercise. But I am fun and weird

You just described me too lol
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Very interesting this past week:

A 28 year old supervisor was in my office talking to her manager who's in his 30s, discussing a new 21 year old employee. Apparently now that she's so "old" she finds it difficult to understand these young people.

Then I left to visit one of my customers, and in conversation I discovered he's 42 and glad for all the wisdom he's gained in his "long life" so far.

What should I say at 52, when all these people think they're so old already?!?!

Just smile and keep it moving...people feel old because with every passing moment, you're the oldest you've ever been.
  • ebrandt64
    ebrandt64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll be 54 this summer. Recovery is the hardest part of getting older. I still feel like I can do what I want, I just feel it longer.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    49...just weeks away from 1/2 century. My goal is to run 1000 miles this year...I'm 21% there.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    gexking wrote: »
    49...just weeks away from 1/2 century. My goal is to run 1000 miles this year...I'm 21% there.

Awesome! That is amazing!!

https://youtu.be/Cwkej79U3ek
  • gexking
    Options

I didn't expect that...thank you much :)
  • Versicolour
    Options

I have a song for everything (filed away neatly and on some occasions, irretrievably) :smiley:
  • gexking
    Options

I have a song for everything (filed away neatly and on some occasions, irretrievably) :smiley:

Actually I tend to do the same thing...or it may be a movie quote. It gets weird when not everybody gets my obscure references.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Haha!! Yeah. But then you just pretend they are the weird ones!
  • linseypeoples
    linseypeoples Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    42 and the struggle is real. My body ain't what it used to be. Aches, pains, low energy, slowing metabolism... ugh. Need all the help and support I can get. :smile:
  • biddie69
    biddie69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me need a bit if support and motivation