How to track HIIT, specifically Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

When I searched for both "HIIT", "High Intensity Interval Training" and "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred", there were no results. This is a workout that has three six-minute circuits of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work, and it meant to be very intense. How do you record things like that? Thank you :smile:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I always logged 30 Day Shred as "circuit training." It was one of the first things I searched how to do here like 5 years ago.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you for your response, diannethegeek! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Circuit training would be reasonable.

By the way resist any suggestion to use a heart rate monitor as that would be completely inappropriate and just give highly exaggerated calorie counts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    remoore23 wrote: »
    Thank you karafa95. Thank goodness we have such knowledgeable fellow posters who are willing to give their opinions so freely, without even being asked!

Interesting take. Anyone knowledgeable would know that HR is an extremely unreliable approach to estimating calorie expenditure in the type of activity you describe.

I'd agree with the suggestions to log as circuit training. 18 minutes of mixed calisthenics doesn't really compare well to anything else in the database.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    karafa95 wrote: »
    I only ever train HIIT, weight lifting, or some other jumbled up style of fitness as long as I’m staying strong and burning calories, without my polar flow and heart rate monitor I wouldn’t know I burn 900-1400 cal a session, when I sync it up to my polar flow app it syncs as walking here on MFP and I just go down and readjust the calorie count to the actual count.

Too bad you're not burning anything like 900-1400 calories per session.

Oh I don't know. I burned 900 calories on Tuesday night. Had to run 10 miles to do it though ;)

LOL, I can do it in 6... but I've got a few pounds on you, and I'm willing to bet that my 6 miles and your 10 were in about the same timeframe. In fact, it's possible that your 10 were faster than my 6.

And Neither of us finished in under 45 minutes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    LOL, I can do it in 6... but I've got a few pounds on you, and I'm willing to bet that my 6 miles and your 10 were in about the same timeframe. In fact, it's possible that your 10 were faster than my 6.

I was very slow, took me 1:50, as it was my last solid training run before my next race.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I was very slow, took me 1:50, as it was my last solid training run before my next race.

Is that the 50K you've been planning or just a half/full?
  • MeanderingMammal
    It's a full, although apparently conditions are pretty rough underfoot and it may be a bit longer.

The 50K is the first day of a double weekend in April.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Log it as 'circuit training'.

This is a classic example of the garbage marketing going on in the fitness industry. Jillian Michaels fitness videos are not HIIT in any way, shape or form. HIIT has become very trendy (just like intermittent fasting and keto on the dietary side) and there is a lot of magick and wizardry being ascribed to it/them that are, shall we say, a bit far-fetched.

This 1000000%
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Log it as 'circuit training'.

This is a classic example of the garbage marketing going on in the fitness industry. Jillian Michaels fitness videos are not HIIT in any way, shape or form. HIIT has become very trendy (just like intermittent fasting and keto on the dietary side) and there is a lot of magick and wizardry being ascribed to it/them that are, shall we say, a bit far-fetched.

This 1000000%

Agreed. But I guess accuracy and facts are not what is important to the OP.