What things annoy you at the gym

Options

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The guy who refuses to allow people to work in with him because "people slow him up and throw off his groove", yet he cleared off half the dumbbell rack and now lives in the squat track. This dude had the nerve to give me an eye roll for using 2 benches for feet elevated dips because the machine was taken.

People who crap talk other members on their physical appearance, how much they lift, how "amateur" their workout looks... we all started somewhere. Focus on yourself.

Leaving the sink area sopping wet. Leaving behind wipes, hairballs, and pads in changing rooms instead of the trash. Nasty.
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @Cherimoose

Great meme LOL

Good thing I dropped a few lbs before you made it ;)

Maybe you should try being less pissed off about what others are doing and focus more on yourself :)

Just a thought.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Pretty much only the poppy playlist they keep playing right now. If I take out my headphones for whatever reason it feels like assault :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My pet peeve (and this is my problem, not something I would expect other people to be thinking about) is when I want to use the cable machine, and the last person has left the pulley at the top. I'm 5'3" with short arms and not much upper body strength, and I end up either going through comic contortions getting the pin out with my finger tips and not dropping the cable on my foot, or hanging around looking pathetic until a taller person looks available and I can ask for help.

eta: I just thought of this. When I'm on the treadmill I'm sure I look like I'm staring at the butt of the person in front of me. I'm not. I need a fixed focal point when I'm running to keep my balance. I'm not staring at your butt, I'm staring at the cup holder next to your shoulder.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Not putting away weights/cable machine equipment.

Leaving sweat puddles on the machines.

Using more than one machine at a time & refusing to let people work in

People that stare.

Talking to me in general (aside from maybe 2 people I can stand at my gym) I’m not the friendly gym type. I’m there to focus.

Asking me why I’m “Not smiling & so serious”

Playing your own personal music out loud. That’s what headphones are for.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    35 lb plates
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest one is people not reracking weights or dumbbells. At my gym it is common to see half of the lower weight dumbbells (that a lot of people use) just gone and scattered around at the gym. One time I opened a locker in the locker room and a set of 15 pound dumbbells were just sitting in there!

Another one are the people who hog the racks, all the dumbbells, weights, etc. Like I get you might be using all of them, but for the 20 minutes you are not, let others use it.

When it comes to the stares, eh whatever. Like others, I'm sure some people think I am watching them, when in reality I am staring through them as I huff and puff through.

My other one are people in the locker room who just sit on the benches and have happy hour. My gym doesn't have a lot in terms of benches to put your stuff on, get ready, etc., so when girls sit there to talk about their latest issue with the guy that is seeing 3 women at once while I am trying to get my life together to go to work...ugh.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    My pet peeve (and this is my problem, not something I would expect other people to be thinking about) is when I want to use the cable machine, and the last person has left the pulley at the top. I'm 5'3" with short arms and not much upper body strength, and I end up either going through comic contortions getting the pin out with my finger tips and not dropping the cable on my foot, or hanging around looking pathetic until a taller person looks available and I can ask for help.

I've never thought of this before. I leave it at the top after using it. It's not a pin but a lever and I bet you would have a tough time moving it.

I'll try to remember to move it back down after. Not for you, obviously, but yeah I can see how that would be considerate to others.

I think I'm in love!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Not too much annoys me at my gym other than it's size. The things that do end up annoying me (like the fact that there's only ONE assisted pull up machine, which means it's frequently in use, and I've ended up having to miss/skip that part of my workout on several occasions because of it) could be avoided if the gym were larger.

Even at 5 am when they open, we are often left fighting over flat benches in the free weights area. There's no dedicated area for stretching, so the space where most of do it is also the crossfit/open workout area, and if it's busy, people are practically tripping over each other.

I'd hate to see what it's like in the afternoon.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Only really one. And it's very specific: Pool walkers who refuse to share lanes with other pool walkers.

Pool walking? Fine. Great. You go do you. You've paid the same membership fees.

But I do not understand why they are each taking their own lane, instead of buddying up and sharing with multiple people who are *also* walking. Our pool limits the number of swimmers per lane (walkers are the exception) to two, so it's split lane and not circle. And then you've got the walkers sprawling out, and not recognizing that if *they* buddied up, we could have more swimmers in.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Only really one. And it's very specific: Pool walkers who refuse to share lanes with other pool walkers.

100%