One Food You Avoided Since Childhood

124»

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    Robyn973 wrote: »
    Fish Sticks and any fish that might be the type of fish used in fish sticks. Made me sick as a child so I will not eat any fish that could have been used in fish sticks.

:o I looooove fishfinger , egg and relish sandwiches :D

Cooked beans.. ewww love them fresh off the vine though
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    canned peas

Same here; they are disgusting.

Me three.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Anything spicy, now I put hot sauce on everything!
  • This content has been removed.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Ketchup. Never liked it as a kid. Had a cousin who used to douse everything he ate with ketchup and it always turned my stomach. In high school I worked in a restaurant and one of my tasks was refilling the ketchup bottles from a giant tub in the back fridge (bet you never thought about why the ketchup bottles on restaurant tables are always full). The smell would make me retch every time. And when the bottles of ketchup were crusty around the rim...I shudder to think about it.

Whenever we went out for Chinese food, my family would order shrimp and lobster sauce. It was my brother's absolute favorite...but the sauce always looked like mucus to me. Now it isn't something I'd order, but it doesn't taste as gross as it looks.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,794 Member
    Always thought these looked too gross to try.

une-hostess-sno-balls.jpg
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Always thought these looked too gross to try.

une-hostess-sno-balls.jpg

Oh...they are revolting (marshmallow and coconut are two more things I don't eat)...but they were my mom's favorite growing up.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Asparagus
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,867 Member
    I ate everything and anything, but not cauliflower. I haven't tasted cauliflower until I was 18. Something to do with how it smelled when boiled (grandma).
    Now I really enjoy it, although it's one of the foods which can be a bit nasty during digestion :)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 697 Member
    Canned Sardines, they stink and taste funny.
  • slimgirljo15
    Paw paw .. smells like vomit..
  • romeandrylan
    romeandrylan Posts: 101 Member
    Beans

Should be jail for those that grow them :smirk:
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Black eyed peas,
    still don’t eat them
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Eggplant
    It was disguised as a lasagna, smelled amazing, took one bite with the Rock's eyebrow thinking wtf is in this? My mom said it was eggplant. First of all you should warn people you're putting strange stuff in food, second it looks like a egg pod from that movie "return of the body snatchers"
    And to answer the other question, as far as I know I have never eaten it again. By choice. And I won't.
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Asparagus..have tried it and hate it still
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Radishes..... oh god whoever thought this was food?

They're like spicy peppery dirt. Blech! I've tried, no thanks.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    PIMENTOS :s>:):#
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Liver, raw oysters, under cooked eggs (white must be cooked, yolk must be runny), cooked spinach. So, I'm thinking anything that resembles slime.
  • slimgirljo15
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Liver, raw oysters, under cooked eggs (white must be cooked, yolk must be runny), cooked spinach. So, I'm thinking anything that resembles slime.

Absolutely agree with you on eggs..uncooked white reminds me of snot.
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    Liver, it’s a texture thing
    Cauliflower because it smells like farts
  • Jenna2315
    Jenna2315 Posts: 614 Member
    Onions & green peppers
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Can’t do liver after my father forced me and my brother to clear our plates despite knowing we didn’t like the stuff. And despite trying repeatedly, I still can’t get on with olives. Other than that I will try just about anything.
  • ilovefood87
    ilovefood87 Posts: 41 Member
    Peas and brussel sprouts. They're just little green balls of evil grossness.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Liver!!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    I avoided olives as a kid because they tasted like metal. I like them, though.
    I also avoided Lima beans, but I can tolerate them now if I put cinnamon and molasses on them.
    And one thing I avoid now that I loved as a kid are potatoes! I got sick three or four times after eating them, and the last time I threw them up I was like “nope not eating them again!”
  • This content has been removed.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 151 Member
    I was a super picky kid, but I’ve (mostly) gotten over it. I still don’t like foods that have a combination of a slick & chewy texture. So mushrooms are still out except in tiny pieces. Scallops are iffy. Sashimi is hit or miss, and it’s expensive so I usually don’t even bother to try. Pad Thai was hard to try, but now I love it.

When I was a kid I wouldn’t eat blueberries, peaches, onions, olives, tomatoes, or any kind of pepper, and I like all of those now. I don’t think I ate any fish other than canned tuna until I was an adult.

My childhood was a very typical midwestern 70’s/80s better living through chemistry. We had hamburger helper about 3 nights/week, and I almost never saw fresh fruits or veggies except carrots, potatoes, and corn.
  • MsDollyDimple
    MsDollyDimple Posts: 391 Member
    Milk. My older brother had a milk mustashe once that made me gag (I was about 5), never touched a drop since. I shudder at the thought.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Sandwiches, I like pitas, but hate normal sandwiches, reminds me of grody childhood lunch (which I remember hiding in my desk or under my bed until it was mouldy). Open faced toasted "sandwiches", I'm ok with.

Admittedly I do crave a grilled cheese. Someone posted about grilled cheese on garlic bread a while ago and I keep thinking about it...dipped in marinara sauce would be amazing