MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    <3 freeloaves

GARD, GARD, GARD, GARD
    THE HOBBITS THE HOBBITS THE HOBBITS THE HOBBITS
  • notsoskinnyminnie
    notsoskinnyminnie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an idea. An idea that has been done several times before, I'm sure. But I don't care, because it sounds fun. I'm walking from The Shire to Mordor, just because it sounds cool :) and dude, it is like 1100 miles, 1560 if you go the way Frodo and Sam went. That's a pretty dang good workout, I'd say! I just wanted to let you guys know, so you can join me or make fun of me or whatever. Feel free to add me :D and join me in my journey if you'd like :)

Aweeessssoooommeeeee!!! :bigsmile:
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oh, i love this! Geek Central! B)

Im currently reading through the books (again), just started book 2 in the House of Elrond. Im currently working on C25K so i wonder if i can catch myself with running up to where i am in the book; and then keep the 2 together (i am a slow reader... and slower runner ha).

Would be interesting :S lol
  • beckyl325
    Options
    This is such an awesome idea! I'm totally in!
  • beckyl325
    Options
    Hey all... I have been doing this walk for a while and use the markers and milage found on the Eowyn Challenge.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

I would love to share this trip with others. I am 73.6 miles into it and have finished Day 3, making it to Crickhollow.

Nharah

Look!!! A map!! http://home.insightbb.com/~eowyn2challenge/Location_Finder/location_finder.html

that map only goes up to 280 miles
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    Hey all... I have been doing this walk for a while and use the markers and milage found on the Eowyn Challenge.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

I would love to share this trip with others. I am 73.6 miles into it and have finished Day 3, making it to Crickhollow.

Nharah

im now using this website what Nharah posted, iv gone uber geek and added my milage and where i am in middle earth according to that site as part of signature!

whos else will add it? haha show your support for the hobbits! :)

i dont believe your need a map, just saying where you are is enough i think; and if you really want to, you could always whip out your copy of LOTR and have alook in maps sections :D
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Ahhh!! I NEED to be a part of this! I am so totally geeking out!! I have all of the extended editions on blue ray and already have a watching party booked for Friday evening!!! Can I please please join?! I promise not to go all Boromir on your arses!!

Edited to Add:: I kind of don't want to go with the Sam and Frodo... is that horrible?! I love me some Aragorn!
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    1560 if you go the way Frodo and Sam went.

oddly, this is almost the exact mileage from my house to the Strait of Gibraltar, tip of South Europe. hmmmmm...
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Only vaguely related but I was eating my breakfast and planning the day's snacks/lunch and realized.... I eat like a Hobbit:
    breakfast (6am quickie), second breakfast (breakfast), elevensies (mid morning snack), luncheon (lunch), tea (afternoon snack), dinner (early evening snack) and supper (supper).

Hmmm who knew the trainers of the world got their meal plans from Middle Earth?
  • _Khaleesi_
    Options
    So I have a question. Is there a quick way to translate calories burned into miles? I don't do a lot of walking/ running but I bike, do the 30 DS, etc.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love it! Count me in!
    Feel free to add me, too :happy:
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love it:bigsmile:
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    I think I read some where its 145 cals per mile for men and 120 cals per mile for women approx., based on a good BMR so work from there I guess lol is only an estimate though. Hope that helps :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    So I have a question. Is there a quick way to translate calories burned into miles? I don't do a lot of walking/ running but I bike, do the 30 DS, etc.
    For me, my 25min 30DS was roughly equiv to walking at 3mph for 40min. You could go into the database and enter times for walking at various speeds until you find a time that's equiv for you.
  • msbeavert
    Options
    I love the fact that I'm not the only geek girl here! I'm totally in!!! :happy:
  • _Khaleesi_
    Options
    Thanks guys!! So... where should our first milestone be??

Edit: I'm off to Rivendell. :)
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Did the first 5 miles this morning... I WAS only gonna do 4, but my legs kinda over-ruled my mind..
  • cfremon
    cfremon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Count me in, if the fellowship isn't already full-up. ;)
  • samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Before I was like "Yeah good on you for doing it! Wow!" but now I think, you know what? I'll do it too. I'm in!

I'm going to leave for school early today and walk as far as I can. I think it's about 6.2 miles into the city - I doubt I can do all of that in one go, but I can knock a bit of it off.

Good luck, everyone!