Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• meganhirschi
    meganhirschi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I relate my addiction is all carbs... I had spaghetti last night and spent the rest of the night wishing i had made more so there had been leftovers. Im still thinking about it and it makes me crazy.

Usually no one wants plain spaghetti, though -- it's the combination of pasta and a sauce that normally has fat and protein in it. (Maybe I'm weird, but the sauce has always been the most important part of pasta for me, easily.)

Of course it has sauce lol traditional tomato with beef
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    If the OP is still around, or if anyone else is interested, some find success with cognitive behavioral therapy. The Beck Diet Solution is a good tool.

Yes, if she's really struggling that's a good idea of something to try.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The fact that a generic word (addiction) means different things to different people does not change a person's reality. If a person can not live in peace because he/she feels the need for a "fix" should be considered an addiction and be dealt with it. Dismissing or belittling the condition does not help the situation. My 2 cents on that.

I think the real debate here is about the best way to help OP. We really need more information from OP at this point, but that OP used the word "addiction" doesn't mean there's one correct approach for her and it must be based on the way drug addiction would be handled (whatever one thinks the right approach there would be).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I relate my addiction is all carbs... I had spaghetti last night and spent the rest of the night wishing i had made more so there had been leftovers. Im still thinking about it and it makes me crazy.

Usually no one wants plain spaghetti, though -- it's the combination of pasta and a sauce that normally has fat and protein in it. (Maybe I'm weird, but the sauce has always been the most important part of pasta for me, easily.)

Of course it has sauce lol traditional tomato with beef

So not just "carbs" -- that was my point.
  • amandastardust89
    amandastardust89 Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Cooking is fun and homemade meals are delicious, but something about a big, greasy hamburger and some French fries just calls to me!

We eat fast food at least once a week...it's just convenient, and sometimes, cheaper than buying actual groceries. Of course, I'm the only member of my household that can't exercise control.

Like any other addiction, you just have to make those better choices! So yes, I do believe you can become addicted...psychological or otherwise. Addiction comes in many forms. Im sure for a lot of people on this site, it is food.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thank you for all of your support. Sorry, I didn't mean my message to sound like I'm arguing about food addiction. I do agree that this post should be about how to deal with feelings of being out of control around food, because that's what I'm kind of dealing with right now as I'm sure we all are. I just really hate when people say, I'm not this or not that, especially because in my mind, I do think that food addiction does exist because for months I didn't have fast food and I was fine but than one day I had it, I was completely out of control and I read tons of articles online about it also. So for me, I do think it exist. It's okay if some think differently. But this was just my opinion. I'm also on a very strict medically supervise program, called HMR which I don't regret joining because this program has given me back my life. Anyways, thanks again guys. Hope everyone has a great week, full of goals and determinations!

There is a difference between behavioral and physical addiction. Which one do you feel you have when it comes to fast food? and yes both types can be agonizing to overcome.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This is Burger King's nutritional information (forgive me, but I had a stroke two years and I'm still not up to par with grammar):

A Whopper is 49 g of carbohydrate and 11g sugars. Where's all this carbohydrate coming from? The sugar-laden bread, atop a 40g of fat and 980 g of sodium.

Metabolic syndrome, diabetes,impaired glucose tolerance -- layer over layer of sugar of refined foods. Yeah, I crave Slightly Sweetened Chai tea, 7 g sugar (8 g of Carb). The Original Tea is 19 g of sugar (22 g of carb). Whole wheat bread should not be flavored with corn syrup. A yoghurt shouldn't be an amount of sugar akin to Snicker's bar.

How to Stop Eating Sugar

I saw the "That Sugar Movie" last night!

Is that with everything on it? Because the tomato, cheese, and condiments will also include sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is Burger King's nutritional information (forgive me, but I had a stroke two years and I'm still not up to par with grammar):

A Whopper is 49 g of carbohydrate and 11g sugars. Where's all this carbohydrate coming from? The sugar-laden bread, atop a 40g of fat and 980 g of sodium.

Metabolic syndrome, diabetes,impaired glucose tolerance -- layer over layer of sugar of refined foods. Yeah, I crave Slightly Sweetened Chai tea, 7 g sugar (8 g of Carb). The Original Tea is 19 g of sugar (22 g of carb). Whole wheat bread should not be flavored with corn syrup. A yoghurt shouldn't be an amount of sugar akin to Snicker's bar.

How to Stop Eating Sugar

I saw the "That Sugar Movie" last night!

I can tell!

Blaming sugar for the appeal of fast food makes no sense to me. What most strikes me about it (and why I'm not really someone who enjoys it that much) is that it's quite fatty compared to what I'd make at home.

Quarter Pounder with Cheese: 530 calories, of which 27 g (or 243 cal) are from fat, 31 g (or 124 cal) are from protein, and 41 g (or 164 cal) are from carbs. Of those carbs, 10 g (or 40 cal) are from sugar. Why? Small amounts in the onions, ketchup, pickle, bun.

Medium fries: 340 cal, of which 16 g (or 144 cal) are from fat, 4 g or 16 cal are from protein, and 44 g (or 88 cal) are from carbs. NONE of the carbs are from sugar (fries get their calories from potato plus oil).

So we have a meal of about 870 calories, of which you have about 387 cal from fat, and 10 g (or 40 cal) from sugar, and we hear that it's an issue because sugar -- a significant percentage of which is probably from the veg (or fruit, as a tomato is a fruit). Oh, MFP...

Exactly...