Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd actually separate OP's issues, which might well be some kind of eating addiction and currently are probably related to her weight loss program (which is really restrictive) and not having gotten to the point of working through how to reintroduce a variety of foods and not fall back into old habits, which hopefully will be a part of it, from those claiming that fast food (or, bizarrely, sugar, which seems off-topic) are akin to heroin (or perhaps worse than given recent developments in the thread).
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So is gambling addiction just a habit since there isn't physical withdrawal?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I am sure there are psychological withdrawl symptoms (which can become physical) with stopping gambling for addicts.

The physical withdrawl I was describing wasn't about addiction though. I was just pointing out how crazy it is to compare sugar and fast food to opioids. If you are on round the clock dosing for more than a few days you will experience withdrawl to various degrees (ranging from a headache and perhaps flu like symptoms if you are on them a few days to full out you want to die with convulsions, sweating, electric zaps, shaking, pain amplified by 1000, etc). If you stop eating fast food and or sugar, even if you have been eating it your whole life, you will not experience anything at all like that. My post wasn't even about addiction because what I was describing isn't addiction but rather depence.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

No, not just a habit.

I would say it is a behavioural disorder - like eating disorders and other destructive pyschological disorders like cutting oneself.

That isnt to say these aren't real - they certainly are - but not physical addiction.