March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    beaten by the snooze this am. Rest day before race tomorrow isn't a bad idea. Starting to feel the nerves and adrenaline already.
    @PastorVincent just wondering what are your expectations on the 5k and 1 mile run if you're running the half at race pace? From all it looks like a 20 mile day for you, you can't expect to do most of that at faster than your marathon pace.

I plan to PR all three of course! That is the only reason to run a race :)

Haha funny man... sounds like a good challenge though!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've got a 1k kilt run tonight. I will probably collect my medal and keep going to 1 mile because I'm a bit OCD like that. (Last weekend my garmin was at 3.86 when I finished the 4 miler so I ran around the parking lot until I hit 4.)

And my s9+ should be waiting for me when I get home tonight but I don't want to switch it over immediately because I have an 8k Saturday and my note 5 is all set up. Haha
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for those of you with Garmins that have Connect IQ...Do you use any of the Widgets? If so, which ones? Do they affect your watch's performance at all?

I have one that tells me if it will rain in the next 120 mins from accuweather and that is it. Everything eles I care about is already built into the watch.

This ^^^. It's called MinuteCast, it doesn't affect performance at all, and at least in my area, has been very accurate. To expand on @PastorVincent's description...it breaks down any rainfall expected over the next 120 minutes so that you have a better idea of when a break in the rain is going to occur, when it's going to start up again, and when the rain will be at its lightest and heaviest. Very useful.

@angmarie28 Over 3.5 minutes of improvement in just one year...that's pretty darned impressive and something to be proud of!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    3/1 Run 10.22 Miles
    3/2 Run 10.22 Miles
    3/3 Run 26.25 Miles
    3/4 Run 10.11 Miles
    3/5 Run 10.01 Miles
    3/6 Run 10.23 Miles
    3/7 Run 10.29 Miles
    3/8 Run 10.33 Miles
    3/9 Run 13.21 Miles
    3/10 Run 17.01 Miles
    3/11 Run 10.45 Miles
    3/12 Run 10.41 Miles
    3/13 Run 11.06 Miles
    3/14 Run 10.26 Miles
    3/15 Run 10.22 Miles
    3/16 Run 13.24 Miles

75 day running streak
    193.52 miles for March
    766.53 for 2018
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent are you just going to ignore the concept that runing that many miles in that short of a time at PR pace will likely result in an injury that could undo the great training you've done? This is a bad plan. I hope your connection to higher power saves you but I would understand if that higher power did not intervene.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for those of you with Garmins that have Connect IQ...Do you use any of the Widgets? If so, which ones? Do they affect your watch's performance at all?

I have one that tells me if it will rain in the next 120 mins from accuweather and that is it. Everything eles I care about is already built into the watch.

This ^^^. It's called MinuteCast, it doesn't affect performance at all, and at least in my area, has been very accurate. To expand on @PastorVincent's description...it breaks down any rainfall expected over the next 120 minutes so that you have a better idea of when a break in the rain is going to occur, when it's going to start up again, and when the rain will be at its lightest and heaviest. Very useful.

Well that's one I won't need here. :D:D:D
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Non-running day today but I have race package pickup in the evening and I'm going to take advantage of 10% off for SHOES. Hopefully no more black toenails!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I want to share this article since I think it might be of interest to some.

When a Stress Expert Battles Mental Illness

Our columnist literally wrote the book on peak performance, but he had to reconsider everything after an unexpected battle with mental illness

https://www.outsideonline.com/2279856/anxiety-cant-be-trained-away
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Our columnist literally wrote the book on peak performance, but he had to reconsider everything after an unexpected battle with mental illness

Thanks for that article. It can definitely hit anyone. And what really scares me is the amount of high school and college students it hits. Maybe it always did... and it was kept quiet... I don't know. But as a high school teacher and college adjunct I hear about it so much more than I used to. In fact, 15-20 years ago I had no students suffering from panic attacks/anxiety. Now I always have several a year. It's in my family too, so my heart just breaks for the kids suffering from it. Makes me wonder ... why is so common... no answer for that I know.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

@7lenny7 I appreciate this as a member of the OCD community. What he related in the car, been there, done that- I actually find running minimizes my behaviors still not controlled by medication though which doesn't seem to be his experience. Possibly because GAD and OCD aren't *that* closely married but interesting nonetheless.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Thanks for that article. It can definitely hit anyone. And what really scares me is the amount of high school and college students it hits. Maybe it always did... and it was kept quiet... I don't know. But as a high school teacher and college adjunct I hear about it so much more than I used to. In fact, 15-20 years ago I had no students suffering from panic attacks/anxiety. Now I always have several a year. It's in my family too, so my heart just breaks for the kids suffering from it. Makes me wonder ... why is so common... no answer for that I know.

Look up the ACEs study, it has a lot to do with rise in mental illness. I see it every day
  • danniej312
    danniej312 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So I had to start C25K Week 3 and intervals again today after vacation screwed me up. My right leg is still having issues but it did seem to improve a bit by the end. I’m going to do intervals for a week - no breaks - and next Saturday I’ll give a free run a go again and see how I do.

19.54/62

Upcoming races:
    Orphan Run 4 Hope 5k - April 14
    Spartan Sprint - December 9

p2tuklpp9znm.jpeg
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent are you just going to ignore the concept that runing that many miles in that short of a time at PR pace will likely result in an injury that could undo the great training you've done? This is a bad plan. I hope your connection to higher power saves you but I would understand if that higher power did not intervene.

:lol: So serious! :) If I get hurt it will be cause I tripped over empty air and bashed my face in a puddle of acid rain or something, nothing as cool as claiming 3 PRs in one day. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    beaten by the snooze this am. Rest day before race tomorrow isn't a bad idea. Starting to feel the nerves and adrenaline already.
    @PastorVincent just wondering what are your expectations on the 5k and 1 mile run if you're running the half at race pace? From all it looks like a 20 mile day for you, you can't expect to do most of that at faster than your marathon pace.

I plan to PR all three of course! That is the only reason to run a race :)

Haha funny man... sounds like a good challenge though!

:D:lol::D

My current plan is to run the 1/2 hard. It is my first official half so it is the race of the day I care about. How fast I run the 5k will depend on how I kept warm between races.

Right now I am thinking that I will finish the 1/2 with about 50 mins until the 5k. It will be in the 20s F and cloudy. So I plan to swap out my cold gear shirt and hood for another cold gear shirt and hood. My second hood is not as warm as the first, but I have a wool hat I can add. The removal of the wet base layer shirt I think will help a lot. Then I will either:

1) Find a warm building to crash in
    2) Sit in my truck with the heater on
    3) Run for 15-20 mins out, 15-20 mins back on the course at conversational pace.

If I do #3, then the 5k will turn into a standard "fast finish" work out. That is where I am leaning now. The one mile is not an event I really care about, and I will likely jog it out as a cool down. Sign up more cause I will already be there and warmed up so why not? :)

If I do 1 or 2, I will run the 5k much faster, and then use the 1 mile race as my "fast finish" work out. But really I am strongly leaning towards #3 because I need more push the limits long runs and if my wife goes a little faster than predicted I will be able to meet up with her on the course.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I will need to read this later. Hopefully I do not forget.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run today, had planed easy shake out run but too many things to get done and not enough time. Ah well.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I will need to read this later. Hopefully I do not forget.

Same here. I've got general anxiety and probably ocd and sometimes depression (mostly went away when stopped eating gluten) but docs keep telling me there's nothing to do besides managing thru lifestyle since it doesn't disrupt my life.