Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes? No? Why?

For what? A medical condition, or fast weight loss?

It works but I hated restricting carbs so much so now I'm trying the normal CICO.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    karl317 wrote: »
    You aren't arguing that your way is *the way* (except, of course, for you), but Fung/Taubes/Lustig, they are (unless I'm seriously misreading them). Your personal results are impressive! So are mine, in my opinion. That we found very different ways to get on the same path underscores, to me, how foolish it is to assume there is "one best way" for everyone to eat.

Well, for what it's worth - Lustig (of the three you mentioned, plenty more are out there) is probably the one most guilty of this. Particularly when he goes on about how Sugar should be regulated like the opiate he feels it is. I don't really get that vibe from Taubes though. Fung, well, from him I generally get the feeling that he was simply genuinely sick of watching a lot of his patients getting fat and having their diabetic feet lopped off.

Taubes, I get more of a "here's the research, and here's what I think" vibe. From what I've seen, Taubes has done some studies through NUSI that didn't exactly show his own theories in the best light - but it didn't stop NUSI from publishing them. I remember reading about the NUSI/Kevin Hall debacle and thinking, "Holy Crap, I'm surprised Taubes didn't try to mothball that study entirely..."

I don't know, I don't have all the answers. I only answered a few of them for myself in a way that let me get healthier even when the people around me told me I was doing what they thought were the wrong things. So much of this nutrition stuff is paradoxical now, at least by media standards. ("Eat bacon to lose weight? Are you MAD?!?")

I can only hope that people can tune out the "noise" long enough to at least try something that seems absurd enough to work. If you were to ask me 2.5 years ago when I first heard about this "keto" stuff, I would have thought you were crazy to even suggest my trying it. I can follow dogma just as good as anyone else, straight to personal failure :)

But it was dismissing that dogma that got me reading stuff from Taubes, who proposed the idea that "You're not fat because you're lazy. You're lazy because you're fat!" It was an idea I hadn't considered because I was so convinced of the "personal moral failure" reasoning for why I couldn't keep my weight off. The first book I read on the subject was "Why we get fat", and it was such a departure from everything I knew and accepted about nutrition I couldn't help but be intrigued.

Taubes is the one I've read the least of, so apologies for mischaracterizing his work.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You aren't arguing that your way is *the way* (except, of course, for you), but Fung/Taubes/Lustig, they are (unless I'm seriously misreading them). Your personal results are impressive! So are mine, in my opinion. That we found very different ways to get on the same path underscores, to me, how foolish it is to assume there is "one best way" for everyone to eat.

Well, for what it's worth - Lustig (of the three you mentioned, plenty more are out there) is probably the one most guilty of this. Particularly when he goes on about how Sugar should be regulated like the opiate he feels it is. I don't really get that vibe from Taubes though. Fung, well, from him I generally get the feeling that he was simply genuinely sick of watching a lot of his patients getting fat and having their diabetic feet lopped off.

Taubes, I get more of a "here's the research, and here's what I think" vibe. From what I've seen, Taubes has done some studies through NUSI that didn't exactly show his own theories in the best light - but it didn't stop NUSI from publishing them. I remember reading about the NUSI/Kevin Hall debacle and thinking, "Holy Crap, I'm surprised Taubes didn't try to mothball that study entirely..."

I don't know, I don't have all the answers. I only answered a few of them for myself in a way that let me get healthier even when the people around me told me I was doing what they thought were the wrong things. So much of this nutrition stuff is paradoxical now, at least by media standards. ("Eat bacon to lose weight? Are you MAD?!?")

I can only hope that people can tune out the "noise" long enough to at least try something that seems absurd enough to work. If you were to ask me 2.5 years ago when I first heard about this "keto" stuff, I would have thought you were crazy to even suggest my trying it. I can follow dogma just as good as anyone else, straight to personal failure :)

But it was dismissing that dogma that got me reading stuff from Taubes, who proposed the idea that "You're not fat because you're lazy. You're lazy because you're fat!" It was an idea I hadn't considered because I was so convinced of the "personal moral failure" reasoning for why I couldn't keep my weight off. The first book I read on the subject was "Why we get fat", and it was such a departure from everything I knew and accepted about nutrition I couldn't help but be intrigued.

Taubes is the one I've read the least of, so apologies for mischaracterizing his work.

I don't think you did. He was the least willing to accept the NuSI results and suggested it must be false (although at that point he couldn't stop it from being published), and he seems to think that calories are not, in fact, the reason for weight gain.

Oddly enough, and going against the MFP grain, Lustig is actually the one I give the most credit to. (And I think his big focus, kids who have huge amounts of excessive sugar, make his reaction understandable, and unlike the other two I don't think he claims that carbs are the problem or that we all should be low carb or are gaining weight because of carbs, despite the blue zone areas, which are the claims I find most absurd. Taubes also cherry picks studies pretty badly, although it's been a long time since I read either of his books.)

I think Taubes tells people they didn't overeat to gain weight or that overeating was not in their control, and that makes them feel good and vindicated -- someone else to blame. But I don't think that's an honest understanding of what happened -- for me it was helpful to acknowledge yes, I was overeating, and figuring out how and why.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    So, instead of trying to "drown out noise" because it seems "offensive," perhaps a better stance would be to take the other side's perspective into consideration and delve further into "why" their stance opposes yours.

That's kind of why i'm here :) If I outright dismissed what everyone was saying, I probably wouldn't keep reading. I'd just close my browser forever and write it all off as nonsense. That's not what i'm trying to do at all. I enjoy the debate... It's definitely a topic that hits really close to home. All perceived "noise" aside, the people in this thread all make some really good points. I just hope that the tug-of-war that we all make it doesn't unduly sway people away from something that could potentially work for them. The obesity epidemic is alive and well, and I'm simply trying in whatever way I can to be part of the solution - not part of the problem.

I think we all have a responsibility to take it all in, digest (har!) it, and find out the truth for ourselves.

Then you're doing well in your position. Science shouldn't involve personal beliefs or bias, which leaves emotion at the front door. I don't pick a side in a dietary strategy because fundamentally, it stems from one unifying concept, which is energy balance. How someone manipulates energy balance to their favor, depending on their individual goal, that is where it branches off into their respective camps. I wouldn't dissuade someone from a plant-based diet in favor of keto, nor would I dissuade someone from a carnivore diet in favor of a mixed diet. All of those diets could potentially work. There's evidence that argue both for and against each one. To your credit, a successful strategy would be individually tailored to each person's preference, so that's the responsibility successful dieters like yourself undertake when disseminating advice.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about people's path. We are all different, but the same. Age, genes, and enviroment effect your physical being. Its an easy equation usually, if you eat more that your body burns you'll gain fat and the body seems to be really good at storing fat. If you can out exercise your intake, great but as we age, it does change.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Taubes first couple of books just brought to light why carbs were promoted and the fact that it can lead to over eating and weight gain.

His last book on sugar showed quite the bias and did not do much for drawing strong conclusions about nutrition, IMO. He does have the belief that sugar is not good for us, but I have seen him saying he still allows his children to eat some - just not lots. I think small amounts of sugar may not hurt people, but I have not seen any science that shows that sugar is good for you yet. He's said something along that line in his books too - sugar is at best benign, at worst it is a problem for some.

Lustig has some good science but he generalizes and sensationalizes a when he speaks. He got attention that way, but he also turned off a lot of people too.

As for Fung, I think if you keep in mind that his book and ideas are aimed at people with insulin resistance, and often kidney issues, then it makes sense. If you try to apply it to a healthy, active, but overweight 25 year-old, it has much less relevance.

IMO.

@karl317 Would the term "moderation" or "calorie counting" fit what you are thinking when you say CICO?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Taubes first couple of books just brought to light why carbs were promoted and the fact that it can lead to over eating and weight gain.

His last book on sugar showed quite the bias and did not do much for drawing strong conclusions about nutrition, IMO. He does have the belief that sugar is not good for us, but I have seen him saying he still allows his children to eat some - just not lots. I think small amounts of sugar may not hurt people, but I have not seen any science that shows that sugar is good for you yet. He's said something along that line in his books too - sugar is at best benign, at worst it is a problem for some.

Lustig has some good science but he generalizes and sensationalizes a when he speaks. He got attention that way, but he also turned off a lot of people too.

As for Fung, I think if you keep in mind that his book and ideas are aimed at people with insulin resistance, and often kidney issues, then it makes sense. If you try to apply it to a healthy, active, but overweight 25 year-old, it has much less relevance.

IMO.

@karl317 Would the term "moderation" or "calorie counting" fit what you are thinking when you say CICO?

I agree with your assessments above. With Fung, the problem is he doesn't seem to acknowledge this and puts forward his solution as a universal solution for all and anyone who doesn't agree is wrong. In all honestly, while I think a lot of his rationales are cockeyed, the actual practice of reducing sugar intake, increasing fiber and reasonable protein are not poor recommendations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Taubes quote...
    "You don't get fat because you eat too much. You eat too much because you're fat..."
    I'll just leave it at that...

If you simply leave it at that, there's something missing: Context.

I don't think you mischaracterized anything - I think a lot of this is open to some degree of interpretation. It's not like we're dealing with exact science :)
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think Taubes tells people they didn't overeat to gain weight or that overeating was not in their control, and that makes them feel good and vindicated -- someone else to blame. But I don't think that's an honest understanding of what happened -- for me it was helpful to acknowledge yes, I was overeating, and figuring out how and why.

Well, to me, Taubes seems to try to make the point that overeating is partially the result of WHAT people are eating, and that it tends to lead *to* overeating. I base this on the chapter outlining what was going on with the Pima reservation, which I found pretty fascinating. Taubes doesn't seem too far off in opinion from people like Michael Pollan in that regard ("In Defense of Food"), at least in how I interpret it.

I actually don't think most people overeat because of what they choose. I think they overeat because food is tasty, super available, and all cultural restrictions on eating have been removed. For example, I did a service trip to Nicaragua and ate basically carbs, and was EXTREMELY active -- spent days hiking, planting trees, and running around after kids -- and was never hungry or even thought about eating outside of meal times. I think this is because there was no real opportunity to and food wasn't easily available to me during the day so I didn't think about it.

For people not in such a situation but one more like the one we are in now, I think many of us have to either be thoughtful about what we eat (very consciously) or else impose conscious restrictions. For me the easiest restrictions are timing -- I eat only at meal times and do not snack, which, after a bit, means I don't think about eating outside of mealtime much, no matter what I am eating. It makes no difference if I'm eating keto (which I tried when at maintenance) or high carb. However, I also -- and this seemed natural to me as common sense -- focus on eating nutrient dense food and prioritizing nutrition above treats, so if I do eat treats I do it after dinner and after a nutrient dense day and -- back when I was counting calories -- eat it only if it fits in my calories. I find if I do this it makes no difference what the macronutrient breakdown of my food is.

Would I have had the same experience if I didn't focus on nutrient dense foods but ate only junk? I doubt it, but I don't think anyone can seriously do that and then say they don't understand why they are hungry, if they are.

I also don't think many people seriously try restrictions like this and then fail because they can't figure out how to control hunger. What I see more at MFP (from people struggling) is people not really bothering to understand WHY and HOW they are overeating, but either claiming they didn't eat much (I got fat from undereating) or not trying any kind of plan or schedule but just saying "I try and try to eat less but run out of calories by lunch" -- well, sure, if you just grab what seems tasty at the time and expect yourself just not to overeat.

That said, I do think that ONE restriction that you can impose (and that helped me) is eating mostly whole foods, home prepared (the Pollan thing). I don't think this helps because you are less hungry (although perhaps you are), but because you can't just grab and eat all day, since you will be limited to the food you made/make.

Similarly, eating plant-based or low fat or keto or paleo or whatever is a limit, and so you can't just grab, and some people find it easier to think "I don't eat that because I'm on keto but I can eat steak later" vs. "I can't eat that because it's too many calories" -- the latter feels more restrictive or diet-y or something.

Bigger point is that I don't think saying it's about the food chosen is true because if you were really eating because of hunger, NOTHING said that you needed to choose junk food or whatever high cal items were being chosen. You could have grabbed a piece of jerky (if that's filling) or a hard boiled egg or vegetables. Long, long ago I recall my mom saying "hungry, have a carrot or an apple" when I wanted to eat between meals, and even now I might think "do I want to have a carrot"? If so, and if I'm trying to eat less, I'll eat carrots and celery or a pickle if I'm really so hungry I can't wait for the next meal (which is almost never anyway). If that's not what I want, I want a cookie (or the like), then I don't pretend to myself I'm eating because I'm so so hungry.

I do think keto can be helpful for people, but I think the lie "carbs made you overeat" is still a lie.