Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    She invited me over for dinner tonight. She said she made boneless/skinless chicken breast, brown rice and steamed broccoli "just for you!" Ummm.... OK. But I hope to hell you don't think I've eaten like that every day for the last 2 1/2 years. I prefer chicken thighs with extra crispy skin, white rice pilaf and broccoli with a little butter or cheese sauce.

*Gag* Please tell me she added spices/seasonings at least? I'm all for healthy food, but I hate it when people equate healthy food with bland food.

I won't be eating there until later tonight. But things aren't promising. When I went there for a cookout this summer the grilled chicken was cremated and the asparagus cooked to mush. I loathe overcooked foods. Boneless skinless chicken takes a bit of skill to cook properly and there is a general tendency in the midwest to cook things into oblivion, then cook 5 more minutes "just in case."

YES!! I hate boneless/skinless chicken. It's pretty much useless for dinner if you batch cook and don't want to bother with having to make sauces to replace the skin/fat that was removed and keeping it from becoming charred jerky when reheated. The exception being using it for chicken salad since you won't be reheating it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    This reminds me so much of my mother. She brought me up on boneless, skinless, chicken tenders charred black on both sides by our gas grill "to kill the worms". I cooked her and my father a perfect medium-rare leg of lamb for dinner last night and she promptly put her portion into the microwave and turned it into shoe leather. Old habits die hard, I guess.

This is my wife! I prefer steak that has only had a casual relationship with the grill (my wife swears that she can hear it moo as I cut it) and if she sees even the hint of pink in the meat she puts it in the microwave and cremates it (and I silently cry)!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    This drives me crazy. I have friends who complain and complain about their weight, their bodies, and all the reasons why they can't do anything about it. One friend said she has an issue with her foot. Asked for an exercise she can still do. I gave her about 10 lifting options she can do sitting down or on her back. No response. (Keep in mind SHE is the one who approached me.) Meanwhile I go to my fitness class that day and there is a guy there IN A WHEELCHAIR lifting weights. No joke. I get out of class and see I have a text from her that it's difficult for her to get the gym, excuse, excuse, excuse, etc.

There's a guys at my gym who is a powerlifter with one leg. He has very impressive numbers except for squat but I can imagine squatting with an above the knee prosthetic leg would be very difficult! He still can do 135 lbs squats!

That's more than most people with both legs in commercial gym's. Respect
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    This drives me crazy. I have friends who complain and complain about their weight, their bodies, and all the reasons why they can't do anything about it. One friend said she has an issue with her foot. Asked for an exercise she can still do. I gave her about 10 lifting options she can do sitting down or on her back. No response. (Keep in mind SHE is the one who approached me.) Meanwhile I go to my fitness class that day and there is a guy there IN A WHEELCHAIR lifting weights. No joke. I get out of class and see I have a text from her that it's difficult for her to get the gym, excuse, excuse, excuse, etc.

There's a guy at my gym who is a powerlifter with one leg. He has very impressive numbers except for squat but I can imagine squatting with an above the knee prosthetic leg would be very difficult! He still can do 135 lbs squats!

That's more than most people with both legs in commercial gym's. Respect

Oh I am in total respect. He is very impressive. His DL and bench are competitive and he likes doing one arm bench press (with the bar) with quite a bit more weight than my max BP. My gym is a commercial gym (a YMCA) but we have a large number of competitive powerlifters including national and world champions and record holders. Talk about a gym with a huge range of patrons who coexist without much judgement ;) actually the powerlifters are the nicest people in the gym and will take the time to help with form/technique, etc if you ask.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This soo reminds me of my mum and of everyone in my life !
    Whenever I am losing weight I have this conversation.
    *mum sees me eating chocolate*
    Mum : ''I thought you said you were on a diet''
    Me : '' Yeah but it fits my calories''
    And she just does not get it ! Haha apparently for 3/4 of the population , to lose weight you need to eat healthy stuff not burn more calories than you lose!
    Also my friends think i am crazy just because I look at labels and briefly check out the calories beforw buying something
    AND think its somekind of eating disorder!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think of almost 5 months of me doing this and eating a variety of foods (and shunning none), hubby is starting to see the light. We have done South Beach Diet together in the past, and the "carbs are bad" has stuck with him. He still won't commit to measuring his food himself, but he's got a decent enough understanding of what calories he needs each day to eat in a deficit and lose. Because he is so overweight, as long as what he sticks to what he plans to eat each day, he'll begin losing.

I pack our lunches (and plan and cook most of our meals) and I know that if I pack him 1x1/3 of what I weigh for myself (and he works on his own food management issues for the mental part), he will begin faring much better. Poor guy has been trying to out-exercise his diet and really struggling with the same 5lbs. I've just tried to set an example with my success and not be overly "I told you so." That's a big step for me because sometimes I come off as a know it all, which just makes him shut down.

I know my success has come from being ready, willing, and able to do what it takes and no matter how much information I give him about calorie deficit and losing weight, until he is ready to do it and hear it and use it, it's not going to matter.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    She invited me over for dinner tonight. She said she made boneless/skinless chicken breast, brown rice and steamed broccoli "just for you!" Ummm.... OK. But I hope to hell you don't think I've eaten like that every day for the last 2 1/2 years. I prefer chicken thighs with extra crispy skin, white rice pilaf and broccoli with a little butter or cheese sauce.

*Gag* Please tell me she added spices/seasonings at least? I'm all for healthy food, but I hate it when people equate healthy food with bland food.

I won't be eating there until later tonight. But things aren't promising. When I went there for a cookout this summer the grilled chicken was cremated and the asparagus cooked to mush. I loathe overcooked foods. Boneless skinless chicken takes a bit of skill to cook properly and there is a general tendency in the midwest to cook things into oblivion, then cook 5 more minutes "just in case."

YES!! I hate boneless/skinless chicken. It's pretty much useless for dinner if you batch cook and don't want to bother with having to make sauces to replace the skin/fat that was removed and keeping it from becoming charred jerky when reheated. The exception being using it for chicken salad since you won't be reheating it.

So funny that you brought up batch cooked chicken! When I got there for dinner I had to chuckle, because I totally called it: plain brown rice, plain steamed frozen broccoli, plain baked chicken breast. After a few bites I politely asked for a glass of water to wash down the ball of sawdust stuck in my throat. As she brought the water she apologized saying the chicken might me a "little dry" because she batch cooked it over the weekend. Shoot. Worst case scenario just got worse. :D

I feel bad for complaining about her cooking. It was very kind of her to invite me over (her boyfriend is away for business this week and she gets lonely). I know she can cook - she made an amazing mac & cheese for a potluck over the weekend. I made it a point to have some and tell her how good it was. But I wish I could find a way to help her understand that healthy eating and losing weight isn't about eating certain foods or cutting carbs or working out. She literally asked me at least three times that what I ate and I told her every time whatever I want as long as it fits my calories. Then she'd ask me if food X was OK. *sigh*
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    ...Mum : ''I thought you said you were on a diet''
    Me : '' Yeah but it fits my calories''...

I think this mindset is really hard to overcome. For decades we've been told to "diet" and exercise in order to lose weight. Many of us have done that, taking on this fad or that, not realizing it was the calorie deficit that made the difference. The idea you can lose weight on cheeseburgers and pizza instead of celery and lemon water is a bit mind-boggling for many people.

It takes time and patience to figure out what your intake should be compared to the charts. It also takes time to set up your frequent foods and recipes. Some people judge it to be too much time but to me, each day I don't do something about my health is a day I've lost and can't go back to change.

• active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    ...Mum : ''I thought you said you were on a diet''
    Me : '' Yeah but it fits my calories''...

I think this mindset is really hard to overcome. For decades we've been told to "diet" and exercise in order to lose weight. Many of us have done that, taking on this fad or that, not realizing it was the calorie deficit that made the difference. The idea you can lose weight on cheeseburgers and pizza instead of celery and lemon water is a bit mind-boggling for many people.

It takes time and patience to figure out what your intake should be compared to the charts. It also takes time to set up your frequent foods and recipes. Some people judge it to be too much time but to me, each day I don't do something about my health is a day I've lost and can't go back to change.

This is soo true ! In fact , if I am being honest , I was afraid to try it out because to me it seemed absurd and too easy that I could eat anything as long as I burn more calories than I lose.
    Its a shame people lack this knowledge !
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I joke that I'm just going to start telling people I soak pine cones in cat urine over night and then eat them for breakfast.

I haven't yet, because I'm sure there is someone out there that will try it, and I don't want to be held responsible.

Whenever anyone asks me what I do for the second time I make up an outlandish story and then when they ask "really?", I respond with "No, I still stay within a set calorie goal and exercise regularly."

I can't wait to use the pine cones/cat urine one :D
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    A secretary in my office is the same. She's asked me three or four different times what I'm doing. I've given her the exact same answer every single time. She's made minor changes for a short amount of time, then goes back to her old ways. Not sure why she keeps asking.

Same here. A woman at work keeps talking about my weight loss...blah...blah.... Explaining about my watching calories falls flat, but she's always toting around a new diet pill and chugging cleanses. She says she can't be disciplined enough to cut down on food, yet she can make and drink those revolting concoctions she comes up with. Whatever.....

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

Silence.

So funny.

• Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was like that for years. I used to have the motto I workout to support my habit--which was eating. It wasn't until I hit my 30s, now mid 30s and got a wakeup call in the form of injuries and having to give up HIIT. Now I'm logging and training myself to eat less and better. But its work. In the same way its work for people that don't exercise regularly to make it a habit. But 5 years later...not a conversation I would keep having.
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same conversation with the same guy on Monday in the locker room with the same indifferent response! :D:o:'(:/ We also covered the unimportance of meal timing ("you can have a late snack if you don't exceed your calorie totals:) and the inability to target belly fat ("you just have to lose weight overall and the fat in your belly will eventually be reduced") again.

The thing that gets me is that all of this info is readily available for people to research themselves. Almost everyone has a smart phone with the internet these days. I get the diet industry has put out so much bad information to keep people over weight for so long, but it astounds me how people just believe things they hear without doing their own research. Before I started using this site I kept getting all of this advice from people and hearing all of these crazy things on shows like Dr. Oz and something just didn't sit right with me about it. I saw people basically starve themselves on cabbage soup diets and spend hours on the treadmill. I kept thinking there had to be a more rational and sane way to go about this, and I ended up here.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same conversation with the same guy on Monday in the locker room with the same indifferent response! :D:o:'(:/ We also covered the unimportance of meal timing ("you can have a late snack if you don't exceed your calorie totals:) and the inability to target belly fat ("you just have to lose weight overall and the fat in your belly will eventually be reduced") again.

Lucky you!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

The thing that gets me is that all of this info is readily available for people to research themselves. Almost everyone has a smart phone with the internet these days. I get the diet industry has put out so much bad information to keep people over weight for so long, but it astounds me how people just believe things they hear without doing their own research. Before I started using this site I kept getting all of this advice from people and hearing all of these crazy things on shows like Dr. Oz and something just didn't sit right with me about it. I saw people basically starve themselves on cabbage soup diets and spend hours on the treadmill. I kept thinking there had to be a more rational and sane way to go about this, and I ended up here.

I think there are a few different things going on with people like him. Each year he realizes he needs to make a change, and possibly sees engaging a person who he perceives to be in good shape as "doing something" to take that first step. But then it dies there, the prospect of diet tracking seems way too much to him and he never goes any further. Another is that the fitness urban legends are so ingrained in our culture that they still survive the overwhelming evidence against them (meal timing, spot reduction, cleanses, etc.)

I tried to really sell it Monday, explaining how I tracked my diet for just a few weeks and made just a few minor modifications that lead to a relatively painless 15lb drop within the first few months when I first started using MFP. I told him that I see him burning a lot of calories in the gym and that he can eat back some of those calories, so the prospect of a calorie deficit isn't as painful as it sounds. Nothing seemed to resonate with him.