Ketogenic diet

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    https://mindbodygreen.com/articles/what-is-the-keto-diet-how-do-you-do-it

This MD goes deep into the science of why a Ketogenic Diet is working so well for more and more people these days.

Stopped at Kim. ugh

Surprised?

I was hoping
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2018
    karl317 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    What Taubes is saying is so ridiculous, no one should believe him.

^^^This...

You're not much for actual debate, are you :smiley:

I am, but to me that quote is off the rails...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    anubis609 wrote: »
    So, does his degree in physics count? Not really.

Then I guess you can count the rest of us out on this debate too :) I'm not a scientist either, I'm just some idiot that lost 140lb.

His physics degree is what it is - he's openly admitted he's not a very good physicist, and that's why he got into journalism. I'd say on that point alone that his physics degree "doesn't count."

My point was that he has more credentials than many who DO call themselves scientists - but there are people who are going to disqualify his opinions because "he's not a real scientist" or whatever. I personally find that view a bit......myopic.

People are going to disqualify his opinions for a ton of reasons. But to disqualify him on the premise that he's not a scientist when he's got a *physics* degree? That's absurd.

I'd disqualify the opinions of someone with a physics degree trying to tell me something about an unrelated field with a "trust me I'm a scientist".
    I'm a scientist too, a computer scientist. You won't catch me trying to be an authority on black holes with that.

Not defending Taubes becsuse IIRC he has a bachelors in Physics, but Dr. Kevin Hall's PhD is in Physics from McGrill University.

What I would say, is their field of study and work experience will drive some of their knowledge. I believe where KH prevails is mathematical computation.
  • lol @ carbs like me
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    On that note, Jason Fung and Adam Nally are both physicians. Adam Nally is the second leading shill of EKs next to Jimmy Moore. I wouldn't qualify anyone of them to be properly versed in nutritional science and metabolism, let alone body compositioin. Waving around what degrees someone holds is basically a dick measuring contest.

I'd actually put more trust in most of the experienced MFP members who took the time to understand how it works from food to poop. Just like I'd rather ask the most jacked guy in the gym what his programming was to get big and strong over a healthcare professional who doesn't look like they've stepped into a gym. But, I wouldn't ask jacked and tan to assess acute flank pain.

The field experts do not have to be credentialed or degreed to be considered credible. It's the weight of their understanding and being able to apply it practically that carries credibility.

While I get where you're going and concur for the most part, I don't necessarily agree 100% with the bolded. Oftentimes, the biggest, most jacked guy in the gym is also the guy with the best genetics and, depending on the gym you go to, might also be 'roided to the gills. Many of those kinds of guys succeed in spite of what they do rather than because of what they do.

I'd put a lot more trust in guys like Lyle McDonald or Brad Schoenfeld for good advice than I would in an IFBB pro bodybuilder. And then you have guys like Eric Helms who checks all the boxes - he's a competitive natural bodybuilder, competitive unequipped powerlifter, has a PhD in Strength & Conditioning (along with BA and MA in related fitness/nutrition disciplines) and is a research fellow at a sports performance research institute.

I get what you mean. I just used a hyperbolic example in place of the usual examples of Lyle, Brad, Eric, or Alan to represent the generic stereotype of a gymrat who represents specified applied knowledge in aesthetics and strength. But I wholeheartedly agree with exactly what you said. I’m not genetically gifted, so if I gotta get my 600mg, Mr. jacked and tan might know, but even then I’d rather ask Broderick Chavez or Chest Rockwell. Lol
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    I'm currently on a keto diet for my epilepsy which is a bit different than the standard keto. For neuro conditions it's 80-90% fat, 5-15% protein, 0-5% carbs (which is what I'm following). Fat doesn't fill be up like protein/carbs do unfortunately. The good thing though is my seizures have been decreasing. Surprisingly, I'm rapidly losing weight (Even though that wasn't my original intention) despite eating over 2,500 calories and over 200 grams of fat. I use a minimum of 12 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. Its really good in recipes! Cellulite is disappearing so I guess that's a plus lol. And my blood sugar crashes finally stopped.

were your seizures due to your blood sugar crashing? are you diabetic too or? what do you mean rapidly losing weight? and how do you measure your food intake? because rapid weight loss is usually from a very high deficit which should not be the case if you are really eating 2500 calories, unless you are on the go all day every day,or you have an underlying health issue causing it that you dont know about.

Its a possibility that my seizures are due to low blood sugar, although ive had seizures since age 7. I dont have diabetes but my father does. I have reactive hypoglycemia, epilepsy, IBS, Gastroparesis, and SIBO. Veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds, beans, wheat, and most dairy makes me look 5 months pregnant along with gas, cramps, bowel issues (my stomach will temporarily swell). My safe foods are meat, butter, oils, nut butters, cream cheese, etc. Anything low in fiber (however, i have to avoid refined foods and sugars because of my reactive hypoglycemia). Coconut oil helps me use the bathroom. The IBS-C, Gastroparesis, and methane SIBO causes chronic constipation and slow motility. TMI...but...Coconut oil gives me the runs and I'd rather have that then being backed up for 3-4 weeks. I use a measuring spoon (tablespoon) to fill ice cube trays with coconut oil, nut butter, and stevia and freeze. They taste great! I go through 1-2 trays per day.

Does the high fat bother your gastroparesis? I have severe gastroparesis (70% left at 4 hours) and Crohn's (with an ileostomy so constipation isn't an issue just slow output) and I have been told low fibre, low/moderate fat as fat apparently slows motility.

Fat does not bother me. Only fiber bothers my GP. Everyone who has GP will have their own severity of it. Your's sounds pretty bad. Do what you need to do to manage your symptoms xoxo

I have a recent, tentative diagnosis of gastroparesis. I'm not about to stop following a ketogenic diet, but I haven't found many resources that offer guidance.

Any tips?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm currently on a keto diet for my epilepsy which is a bit different than the standard keto. For neuro conditions it's 80-90% fat, 5-15% protein, 0-5% carbs (which is what I'm following). Fat doesn't fill be up like protein/carbs do unfortunately. The good thing though is my seizures have been decreasing. Surprisingly, I'm rapidly losing weight (Even though that wasn't my original intention) despite eating over 2,500 calories and over 200 grams of fat. I use a minimum of 12 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. Its really good in recipes! Cellulite is disappearing so I guess that's a plus lol. And my blood sugar crashes finally stopped.

were your seizures due to your blood sugar crashing? are you diabetic too or? what do you mean rapidly losing weight? and how do you measure your food intake? because rapid weight loss is usually from a very high deficit which should not be the case if you are really eating 2500 calories, unless you are on the go all day every day,or you have an underlying health issue causing it that you dont know about.

Its a possibility that my seizures are due to low blood sugar, although ive had seizures since age 7. I dont have diabetes but my father does. I have reactive hypoglycemia, epilepsy, IBS, Gastroparesis, and SIBO. Veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds, beans, wheat, and most dairy makes me look 5 months pregnant along with gas, cramps, bowel issues (my stomach will temporarily swell). My safe foods are meat, butter, oils, nut butters, cream cheese, etc. Anything low in fiber (however, i have to avoid refined foods and sugars because of my reactive hypoglycemia). Coconut oil helps me use the bathroom. The IBS-C, Gastroparesis, and methane SIBO causes chronic constipation and slow motility. TMI...but...Coconut oil gives me the runs and I'd rather have that then being backed up for 3-4 weeks. I use a measuring spoon (tablespoon) to fill ice cube trays with coconut oil, nut butter, and stevia and freeze. They taste great! I go through 1-2 trays per day.

Does the high fat bother your gastroparesis? I have severe gastroparesis (70% left at 4 hours) and Crohn's (with an ileostomy so constipation isn't an issue just slow output) and I have been told low fibre, low/moderate fat as fat apparently slows motility.

Fat does not bother me. Only fiber bothers my GP. Everyone who has GP will have their own severity of it. Your's sounds pretty bad. Do what you need to do to manage your symptoms xoxo

I have a recent, tentative diagnosis of gastroparesis. I'm not about to stop following a ketogenic diet, but I haven't found many resources that offer guidance.

Any tips?

Fiber is your enemy. Fiber slows down digestion a lot. Fat slows it down a bit. I stick to low fat as fats really bother me. Everyone is different but most literature about gastroparesis says stick to moderate fat. Eat small meals spread throughout the day. Liquids are much easier digested than solids and lots of people with gastroparesis have normal emptying times with fluids. Those are the general guidelines but everyone is different and those with mild- moderate gastroparesis can definitely eat a bigger variety of foods than those with severe gp. Have you jad a gastric emptying study yet?
  • kristaroberts97
    kristaroberts97 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes. It works for me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2018

Any tips?

Fiber is your enemy. Fiber slows down digestion a lot. Fat slows it down a bit. I stick to low fat as fats really bother me. Everyone is different but most literature about gastroparesis says stick to moderate fat. Eat small meals spread throughout the day. Liquids are much easier digested than solids and lots of people with gastroparesis have normal emptying times with fluids. Those are the general guidelines but everyone is different and those with mild- moderate gastroparesis can definitely eat a bigger variety of foods than those with severe gp. Have you jad a gastric emptying study yet?

Not yet.

I'm going to get the R-R interval study recommended by Dr. Bernstein first, in order to try to determine whether the vagus nerve is involved as it is with many diabetics.

(He cautions that the variability in stomach emptying can produce different results on the emptying test from one day to the next...)

https://youtu.be/MwKLwpYsJbw
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Any tips?

Not yet.

I'm going to get the R-R interval study recommended by Dr. Bernstein first, in order to try to determine whether the vagus nerve is involved as it is with many diabetics.

(He cautions that the variability in stomach emptying can produce different results on the emptying test from one day to the next...)

https://youtu.be/MwKLwpYsJbw

Yes I agree that it varied from day to day. I had 2 3 months apart and both were in the same severity category but 16% different (1st one i had 54% in my stomach at 4 hrs second i had 70% left). I don't have diabetes so I'm in the ideopathic category meaning no one has any clue why I have it. I did have major abdominal surgery for Crohn's 4 months pre symptoms but the surgeon wasn't near my vagus nerve. I was on opioids but not until after symptoms started. My GI blamed the dilaudid as I was on it (i was i hospital) the first test but I had stopped taking it more than a month before the second test which was worse so it obviously wasn't the dilaudid causing it. I'm a medical mystery.