How do I talk my Mom off the "Sugar is Toxic" ledge?

Options

Replies

• davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There's a terminology issue here. Substances like water and oxygen are toxic at certain concentrations/doses. Sugar sure can be toxic - pretty sure you'll die if you consume a few thousand grams in an hour.

I'm reasonably sure context and dosage has been dealt with ad infinitum in this thread, so not sure how this is relevant?

Sometimes you click reply on a thread thinking that it's another thread that is a lot shorter and has fewer replies. It happens.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    nutrofight wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi all - sorry I wasn't clear. I don't want Mom to make ANY changes - I want her to stop worrying about sugar. She eats very healthily, but has been worrying about her (almost non-existent) sugar consumption.

Well then it sounds like it would just be easier for her to eliminate her sugar consumption. What matters is her relationship with food. If she thinks sugar is and and she eats it, it will be bad. So if convincing her it isn't bad is harder than eliminating it, why take the harder goal?

It's been discussed repeatedly that her mother is borderline underweight and the sugar obsession will potentially cause her to under eat and lose weight that she can't afford to lose.

edited for grammar
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There's a terminology issue here. Substances like water and oxygen are toxic at certain concentrations/doses. Sugar sure can be toxic - pretty sure you'll die if you consume a few thousand grams in an hour.

I'm reasonably sure context and dosage has been dealt with ad infinitum in this thread, so not sure how this is relevant?

Sometimes you click reply on a thread thinking that it's another thread that is a lot shorter and has fewer replies. It happens.

:lol: Fair enough. It can get confusing if you are wandering around in here!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    avgsmj10huk3.jpg

Clicking the "awesome" button...

I ummm... smell something a little fishy going on here anyway now, if you catch my drift :wink:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    avgsmj10huk3.jpg

Clicking the "awesome" button...

I ummm... smell something a little fishy going on here anyway now, if you catch my drift :wink:

God, I hope not!

eta: It's started showing up in another couple of threads.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Brain health is a concern for a lot of older people. As a 61 year old, both of whose parents suffered from very late life dementia, I understand.

I also think sweets are quite possibly one of the best arguments for wishing to stay on the planet longer.

Watching this thread with interest :wink:

Oh and 80? I saw my mom changing her opinions, striving, becoming a more open and even more loving person, until alzheimer's stole her in her mid 90's. Hope I can do the same.

Her brother just replied to our email chain with a similar sentiment as the bolded so hopefully that will help :lol:

My grandfather had Alzheimer's so I understand her concern about brain health. I keep reminding her that he was a drinker and smoker, and she is not, (and has never been.)

The problem is, its what keeps HER on the planet longer, which may be different from what would do that for you or your brother. Part of that can be "tradition" or what she feels is "normal" and "good". Also, it seems her diet has kept her in good shape till her 80's, so it doesn't exactly seem like its a problem, even though there may be room for improvement.

Maybe time is better spent on encouraging her to maintain muscle mass somehow, or do more brain stimulative and balance activities and/or take up a hobby, which may help her live longer as more able and healthier. She seems to want to actively take care of herself, and directing her on to another thing which is more likely to help is easier than trying to break her beliefs into something matching yours. Who knows, her appetite may follow as well...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh MFP....

OP: My mom eats very little added sugar, but I am concerned she's getting stressed and losing weight due to reading all sorts of alarmist stuff about sugar. She's starting to worry about fruit.

Poster: Sugar is bad stuff; avoid it and watch the alarmist Netflix docs about sugar.

My note: Netflix docs actually make all sorts of conflicting diet claims that could make anyone neurotic -- various Netflix docs go after sugar, fat, meat and other animal products, "processed foods," GMOs, so on. One of the more recent ones (obnoxious for other reasons) is anti animal products/fat and says sugar isn't so bad.

To be fair, based on my Netflix viewing I now call the sheriff every time my lights blink because I assume something from The Upside Down is trying to get me.

What does he tell you?

jimhopper-feat.jpg