Deadlifts - leg day or back?

Options

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    I do them on leg day.

I feel that deads and cleans are total body workouts, but thats my opinion.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do them on leg day. But thinking of adding rack pulls on back day.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I do mine with back... Only one of the "big three" on any workout so you can really leave it all in the gym. If i go intense on deads there's no way I am going to have anything in the tank for bench or squats (same is true of each of them)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I believe deadlifts are one of the best excercises you can do but I find most people either don’t do them right or don’t do them at all. How often do you deadlift and if so do you do them on leg day or back or neither? Also feel free to share your PR.

Currently I am deadlifting on back day once and week and my PR is 500 and done at 190lbs.

Your PR at that weight is awesome. Congrats. I was chasing after 500 but finally decided fat-loss needed to take priority.

I do a push-pull split, so I don't have "leg day" or "back day". I do this because I try to keep my MPS elevated for most of the week.

Deadlifts fall on a "pull" day for me even though it's really a "push" movement.

One Pull Day A is conventional deadlift. Pull Day B is sumo. Pull Day C is RDL.

My conventional DL PR is 465. But I've been cutting since July and 405 is now a struggle. I'm happy to trade it for the weight loss though.

If you don't mind some advice, I would highly consider altering your programming.

With optimal programming that focuses on fatigue level as well as higher volume when cutting fat (at a slow but steady rate), one should actually be gaining strength. Definitely not losing strength.

Something looks drastically wrong with that amount of strength loss.

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    If you don't mind some advice, I would highly consider altering your programming.

I did. About 3 weeks ago.

The programming from July to Feb was responsible for the loss. Hence the switch.

A small loss is understandable. But I felt I dropped way too much off my deadlift and squat.

• MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Never really went to heavy on my sumo dL but this past weekend I tried and I could only pull around 405. I tried 455 and couldn’t get it off the ground which is when I switched to traditional dL and was fine. Is there a big benefit to doing sumo vs traditional?
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Never really went to heavy on my sumo dL but this past weekend I tried and I could only pull around 405. I tried 455 and couldn’t get it off the ground which is when I switched to traditional dL and was fine. Is there a big benefit to doing sumo vs traditional?

Yes a huge difference. Body shape and training matter. The other thing is sumo is harder to break off floor, but if you can you’ll lock it out. Conventional is easy to break off floor but harder to lockout. At least for me. I also can lift more conventional but could be lack of practice on sumo.

Some say sumo is less range of motion. I don’t know I just think some better at conventional and others sumo. Big lifts have been done with both.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

http://liftbigeatbig.com/think-you-dont-need-sumo-deadlifts-youre-wrong/
  • stephaniedenise28
    stephaniedenise28 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bit late to the party here, but I work slightly different as I am working through an Olympic lifting programme and I am currently lifting with a snatch grip on my overhead squat days.

Its really helped me with my T-spine mobility and pulling my hips through on my conventional deadlifting. A couple of weeks ago I lifted 220lbs at 67kg :)
  • jessicayh
    jessicayh Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    :):):D
  • fitdadclay
    fitdadclay Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to gain strength you are going to have to do them 2-3x per week.
    So at least on back and leg day switch it up and do sumo leg day and conventional for back day.
    I have an IL state record at 155lbs with a 540lb deadlift raw.
    If I only deadlift 1 x per week I usually can only maintain were im at.
    I currently am doing 3x per week and you’ll be surprised the strength you get from working the muscle more often
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    fitdadclay wrote: »
    If you are wanting to gain strength you are going to have to do them 2-3x per week.
    So at least on back and leg day switch it up and do sumo leg day and conventional for back day.
    I have an IL state record at 155lbs with a 540lb deadlift raw.
    If I only deadlift 1 x per week I usually can only maintain were im at.
    I currently am doing 3x per week and you’ll be surprised the strength you get from working the muscle more often

Did you stop lifting and gain a *kitten* ton of fat? You state in the Best 3 Lifts thread that your current weight is 185... 30 pounds heavier but your deadlift hasn't changed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

It took me a couple of months of focused training of sumo deadlift before I was able to match my conventional best. The two lifts are similar, but they're also quite a bit different. Keep training sumo, and you'll likely get there.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would think it depends on your splits. If you do 5 day focused muscle group split, I would say back. If you do upper/lower splits I would say lower.
  • fitdadclay
    fitdadclay Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    le8klv45pkg0.png

@jseams1234
    Sorry was wrong on the stats was 6 years ago.
    496lbs at 165lbs still 3x bodyweight.
    But not everyone always trains the same if you always try to go heavy year round your going to get hurt.
    And I was 165 so yea I wanted to put size on and have an extremely fast metabolism.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    fitdadclay wrote: »
    Sorry was wrong on the stats was 6 years ago.
    496lbs at 165lbs still 3x bodyweight.
    But not everyone always trains the same if you always try to go heavy year round your going to get hurt.
    And I was 165 so yea I wanted to put size on and have an extremely fast metabolism.

@fitdadclay

Thanks for the clarification. That is a very impressive pull. I apologize for the earlier tone - I'm nearing the end of my cut and it's turning me into an *kitten*. 3 more weeks and I'm going to have the biggest damned bowl of spaghetti you've ever seen. :)
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    I'm following stronglifts 5x5 so lifting every other day and deadlifts are every other workout. not really identified as back vs. leg days. I'm up to 195lbs
  • 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm running a powerlifting program so deadlifts get their own day. But for what it's worth, I consider it my back day.

I'm chasing that 500lb pull! Current best is 400lb x8.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Chino50ae wrote: »
    It's a back exercise

They're both...they develop muscles across the entire posterior chain, including your hamstrings and glutes.

And if you're pulling sumo there's a lot of quad activation in play.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do them on back day. If it was a heavy leg day before then I will just to BB rows or weighted pullups instead. Sometimes I plan ahead and do more posterior work on those leg days.