You don't use a food scale?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BUMP by showing "The Devil Wears Prada" intro supermodel women doing it wrong!!

mfb7j6dyozj9.png

When I saw the movie in 2006 I remember thinking: "What kind of crazy person measures out their cereal??"

I rewatched it the other day and thought: "What kind of crazy person measures out their cereal in a cup?? Get a food scale lady!"

That's awesome. I didn't remember that part of that movie.
  • TroyWebber
    TroyWebber Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Just to reiterate the importance of weighing packaged products, the flat bread I eat for lunch often is packaged as 1 bread = 56g = 100 calories. Today's weighed 66g, a difference of 18 calories. No, not much but over time and multiplied throughout the day, it can add up, particularly if you've got a small deficit to begin with.

Not sure why the pics are sideways. Sorry :confused:

e6titt41v752.jpg

r5wbe6mo0n10.jpg

What brand of flat bread is that? The whole thing is 100 calories give or take that's really good.

Joseph's :smile: I get them at Wal-Mart, nothing fancy! They're in front of the service deli section.

Thanks! I need this flatbread in my life.
  • adreadrew
    adreadrew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have food scale
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    BUMP. Foodscale was a critical tool to help reach my GW, and continues to be valuable in maintenance! Without it, my 4 oz of chicken starts to creep it’s way up to 6-7 oz. amazing how my mind and eyes can deceive me - especially if I’m hungry LOL.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    BUMP. Foodscale was a critical tool to help reach my GW, and continues to be valuable in maintenance! Without it, my 4 oz of chicken starts to creep it’s way up to 6-7 oz. amazing how my mind and eyes can deceive me - especially if I’m hungry LOL.

Truth!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    bmt5jw11xs0o.gif
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale now, but my first time losing 40 lbs, I didn't have one. Maybe I'm just really good at estimating amounts? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I still use rules of thumb for portions pretty often when going out to eat/eating at a friend's house and I've been losing at the expected rate.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Bump
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    when i first lost weight i never used a scale. i did just fine
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »

When you have a lot of weight to lose, having a deficit, any deficit, will help. So cutting back in general in terms of portions might be good enough. However, as you get leaner that margin becomes smaller, so the difference between eyeballing and weighing becomes important.

If you're not weighing your food and you're still losing, great. But when you plateau, it's time to get a food scale.

Actually, i always think it's a good idea. Especially if you love food. Even for bigger people its hard to stay within the limits.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    BUMP by showing "The Devil Wears Prada" intro supermodel women doing it wrong!!

mfb7j6dyozj9.png

When I saw the movie in 2006 I remember thinking: "What kind of crazy person measures out their cereal??"

I rewatched it the other day and thought: "What kind of crazy person measures out their cereal in a cup?? Get a food scale lady!"

Lol..omg.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    SadDolt wrote: »

When you have a lot of weight to lose, having a deficit, any deficit, will help. So cutting back in general in terms of portions might be good enough. However, as you get leaner that margin becomes smaller, so the difference between eyeballing and weighing becomes important.

If you're not weighing your food and you're still losing, great. But when you plateau, it's time to get a food scale.

Actually, i always think it's a good idea. Especially if you love food. Even for bigger people its hard to stay within the limits.

I agree with you.

Weighing food has been instrumental for me in learning proper portions, and in changing eating habits. It's a good idea for everyone who struggles with their weight.

But I was responding specifically to someone saying "I lost weight without it".
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I weigh everything, even my protein powder for shakes, almost every scoop I've ever used that came with the protein, has been over by up to 15g.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    bump

Thanks for bumping. Keeping the thread alive ;)