Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I used to make nachos with tortilla chips and melted AMERICAN CHEESE slices and nothing else, dipped in mild Pace Pecante salsa.

How are you supposed to make nachos?

With real cheese.

eta: and refried beans, black beans, taco meat, onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, etc.

Ah... didn't realize there were rules. Or that American cheese wasn't real ;)

Yes, American cheese isn't real. :)
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    Gravy in our house got it's brown colour from melting sugar in the frying pan. Of course growing up I always knew sugar to be brown. Eventually discovered there was some other special stuff called granulated sugar which was white, but that was only for specific uses.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Apple juice and powdered skim milk. Too much sugar. And no wonder I never liked milk.

Count Chocula, where your milk turned chocolaty.

Cheez whiz sandwiches when we ran out of lunch meats. Shiver
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot- Nesquik- loved the stuff! Sometimes I would just eat the powder by itself with a spoon!
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Can't believe no one's mentioned raw cake mix yet... sometimes my sister and I used to eat so much of the mix there wasn't really anything left to bake with! I'd 100% do the same thing now too though.... :)

Do you mean the dry cake mix or cake batter? The first one frightens me a little ;)

Commercial dry cake mixes didn't exist when I was growing up (as far as I know). All cake was from home made batter in a bowl.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    TL;DR

Apple juice and powdered skim milk. Too much sugar. And no wonder I never liked milk.

(Hand up) Former Count Chocula kid here! Cocoa Puffs too.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    A lot of people mention cinnamon toast, but we usually had tortillas on hand instead of bread. But I would take the tortillas and make my own version of cinnamon toast with them in the oven. They would puff up and get crispy. My brothers begged me to make them for them every single day. They were delicious!

This actually sounds delicious and I might try it lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    TL;DR

(Hand up) Former Count Chocula kid here! Cocoa Puffs too.

Still guilty of buying count chocula cereal every year when it comes out. Best part is after halloween when it goes on sale for .25 a box at my store, LOL.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    We had so many... The one that still sounds good to me but would be horrible calorie-wise was a yellow cake warm out of the oven with warm vanilla pudding poured over the top for breakfast! YUM.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A lot of people mention cinnamon toast, but we usually had tortillas on hand instead of bread. But I would take the tortillas and make my own version of cinnamon toast with them in the oven. They would puff up and get crispy. My brothers begged me to make them for them every single day. They were delicious!

This actually sounds delicious and I might try it lol

It IS delicious! I haven’t made it in so long, but I’m thinking about busting it out as a treat one night soon.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Back with bread.... toast pizza. Spaghetti sauce, cheese slices, and lunch meat on toast grilled under the toaster oven.

Ramen with Ritz crackers and fifty cent juices or sodas.

Jamaican beef patties. Even with the little chunks of gristle.

I actually think pot pies are pretty good. They're my sick day food.

I like pot pies also. Growing up I remember eating the little banquet pot pies. I love the crust. When I first started losing weight, I avoided eating pot pies from the store because of the calories. Now I will have one of the Marie Callendar pies every now and then and they are so good.

I totally want a pot pie now.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    From the time I was 2 to about 5, the only thing I'd eat was Spaghetti'os and Hot Dogs. My Mom was frantic that it was causing me health damage and would stunt my growth. I'm female and 5'11.

Pretty sure that had no impact on my health. I'm almost 40 now, eat healthy because that's what tastes good, but still partake in those "unhealthy" foods every once in a while. I've never been one to cut anything from my diet. If I like it, I'll eat it without guilt.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My mom would always make cold sandwiches from leftovers. They would be things like week old cold breaded chicken on white bread with globs of mayo, or cold meatloaf on white bread with globs of mayo, or several day old cold meatballs (complete with crusty pasta sauce) on white bread with globs of mayo. There would be so much mayo it would squirt out the sides. She'd also give me a half-inch thick piece of liverwurst with a glob of mayo on it as a snack. The thought of it now makes me gag. :s

I don't eat white bread or mayo anymore.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I remember eating braunsweiger sandwiches, meat between 2 saltines...not sure if it is goose liver or pork. It's actually delicious. My dad loved pickled pigs feet. When he opened the jar, I had to leave the table....felt like vomiting. The only organ meat we ate was liver. Mom cooked it or rather overcooked it once a month. It was hard and black like the soles of one's shoes.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    af240 wrote: »
    Maybe less healthy a raw egg yolk and 3tbsp sugar beaten fluffy with an espresso (I'm 5 at this point mindyou) and then dipped yesterday's dinner bread. Also still eat it because it's delicious but the macros are brutal

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this probably tastes better than it sounds, but yeesh this sounds horrendous!! hahah

It's one of the main ingredients mixed with mascarpone of a tiramisu; it's not that bad! haha

I was thinking this sounded like the start of tiramisu. Tiramisu is amazing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Can't believe no one's mentioned raw cake mix yet... sometimes my sister and I used to eat so much of the mix there wasn't really anything left to bake with! I'd 100% do the same thing now too though.... :)

Do you mean the dry cake mix or cake batter? The first one frightens me a little ;)

Commercial dry cake mixes didn't exist when I was growing up (as far as I know). All cake was from home made batter in a bowl.

Not sure how old you are-- cake mixes have been around since at least the 1930s but their popularity didn't really start rising until after WWII.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot- Nesquik- loved the stuff! Sometimes I would just eat the powder by itself with a spoon!

I remember putting it on vanilla ice cream. (I haven't thought about that for a very long time!!!)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »

I remember putting it on vanilla ice cream. (I haven't thought about that for a very long time!!!)

chocolate malt Ovaltine is amazing on vanilla ice cream too.
  • ejoyk113
    ejoyk113 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Saltine sandwiches with a huge slab of margarine. I'd press them together and watch the margarine come out of the saltine holes :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The food I considered grossest as a kid was liver. I've been meaning to try making it with bacon to see if that will make it come out better than what Mom did, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My grandmother used to give me chicken livers, which I liked. The only time I had beef liver was when I was staying at a friend’s house overnight, I was probably 10 or so, and her mother made liver for us for dinner. We ate outside in her yard at a picnic table, and both of us threw our liver into the bushes. It was gross!

Our dog knew to lurk under the table on liver nights :lol: