Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Replies

• soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    nettiklive wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I honestly can't figure out why you think any of those studies invalidate CICO.

You've hijacked this thread for three full pages now to prove that fat utilization works differently in pregnant women?

No, my point, that everyone seems to keep missing, is in reply to the original question:
    Why do people deny CICO?

Because for some people, their metabolic response, and hence their CO, may, for a variety of reasons, make it nearly impossible for them to create a deficit or surplus with a reasonably healthy food intake.

That, in a nutshell, is my argument, because, even though I haven't personally struggled with this to that extent quite yet, I absolutely believe people who sincerely say they do, and found it insulting to read several pages of smug responses essentially putting everyone else down as being stupid, wanting to stay fat as some sort of social club, buying into ridiculous marketing strategies, or simply lying about their food intake. It's demeaning and, frankly, short-sighted.

There ARE people who may do all of the above, definitely. But there are also people who deny CICO because it has failed them, in the sense that calorie restriction in itself did not allow them to reach their goals, due to a range of factors which may be beyond their control.

Watch this video this may change your perspective somewhat.

https://youtu.be/KA9AdlhB18o
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited April 2018
    CMNVA wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Why aren't people like you never found under controlled circumstances in studies?

Agreed. I'd love to know what my "secret" was back then.

you ate less than you think you did, you were more active than you are now. You likely walked to school and friends houses ect, now you likely drive everywhere. Its not magic.
    Honestly, I have given a lot of thought to it. Even at the time, it was perplexing to everyone around me, including my cousin who lived with me and was a gymnast. I really, truly was not active, did not walk to school or friends houses (drove everywhere), ate bacon/eggs for breakfast, bought lunch at school cafeteria or went to McDonald's, stopped at my local High's Dairy Store 2-3 times per week and bought a pint of chocolate chip ice cream and ate it in one sitting. My parents worked so we every weekend we went out to dinner both nights. I'd get a 12 ounce prime rib, baked potato, salad bar. No issues putting it all down and then having dessert. I was really a glutton and inactive. That all came to a stop around my mid 20s. Even now, though I easily gain weight, it doesn't seem to be as much as some other people my age and social circle. But I am definitely heavier than I should be. If I were to eat 2,000 calories a day, it seems way under what I used to eat in my youth. It's what makes things so hard now. I've never had to curb my eating and have a lifetime of overeating habits. Very hard to change.

I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Growing uses up a lot of energy. It's a cliche that teenagers can eat an insane amount of food to fuel all the growing and the physical changes they are going through for a reason.
    2. It is really difficult to accurately remember the details of even super important events when we were children. I've gone back to places I used to go when I was a child and been shocked by how much smaller, or bland, or whatever it was. I've discussed holidays with cousins who remember them entirely differently. Our brains construct our memories based on shards of information and build on assumptions that might not be accurate.

I don't mean to invalidate your memories or your current struggle. But most people can't accurately guess their current calorie and activity levels. Guessing calorie and activity levels from years ago is damn near impossible!

You are correct and, believe me, I am a strict CICO believer; however, I don't 100% think that there aren't an extremely small population of exceptions (and I mean extremely small). And I couldn't even hazard a guess as to why anyone would be an exception. When I was very young, despite what I was fed, I had been labeled "failure to thrive" until I was 2. Things did turn around a bit and I got more normal, but I was always very thin. My parents did have me to the doctor for this and I had my intake monitored for several years because, I guess, the doctors wanted to ensure that my parents were actually feeding me. When i was 12 years old, I was tracked routinely at about 2,800 calories per day. Granted, it was not as easy back then to be as accurate with calories because the reference material was pretty slim for finding calories and ice cream pints didn't have calorie labels on them as they do today. Once I did reach 100 lbs (at 5'7") they finally sort of left me alone. I really do wish I could have been studied with the technology that is out there today. I'm also one of those people with a very slight build and low muscle mass.

Did the doctors ever diagnose the cause of the failure to thrive? There are gastrointestinal conditions that interfere with your body's ability to use the nutrients in your food.

Edited to fix messed-up quoting formatting.