What was your first “I’m getting fat” realization?

Options

Replies

• kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At about 3mo postpartum I had stopped losing the baby weight naturally. I noticed that a fav cozy t shirt of mine (men’s large) was getting snugger and snugger. It took another month before I got up off my rear and started logging and exercising again. Down I think about 17-18lbs since Jan 9 and back to pre-preg weight. Aiming to lose another 15 or so.
  • fluffigkattunge
    fluffigkattunge Posts: 8 Member
    Options

ETA : Oh and when my comfy ,loose jeans became too tight .

This. When my "fat" clothes are tight and I can only wear 15% of the stuff in the closet.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was always bullied for my weight when I was a kid, so some people always reminded me that I'm fat as hell. In 6th grade I was sitting in school and someone asked my name. My surname means 'big' in my language, and when I introduced myself the girl told me 'Well, you are really big, haha'. That hurt me so much but at that time I couldn't do much about it. In high school I was managed to drop 10 kgs in 3 months, and I was at a pretty healthy weight but always on the rather overweight side. Then when I started uni, PE classes stopped, I just fell in love with my BF and we ate a lot of junk food in the beginning. Then in the summer when we went on a trip we took photos and I was so sad looking at them, that I gained back that 10 kgs in a few years, so I decided to make changes. I'm 60 kgs now, almost at my goal weight and I know that I will never be that 'big girl' again. However I still see myself fat, and hate so many things on my body, I think those childhood memories won't fade away ever...
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My jeans getting tight, being unable to conceal the muffin top, and having to buy a dress for a wedding in a UK size 20. The photos from that wedding really shook me into action.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes, "pictures don't lie". I could suck in my gut when looking in the mirror and think I wasn't too bad but seeing pictures from multiple angles you see how you really look.

Starting to have heartburn problems was another strong hint.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Pictures of myself. Rude awakening!
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    jrochest wrote: »
    Wow, so many amazing stories: utahjulia, that's heart breaking. I think grief has a physical effect on your body as well...

I've always bounced around, but when I was in my 20s and 30s the bounces were 10 pounds. I wasn't over a 25 BMI until my early 40s, when the bounces became 30 pounds, then 40 pounds, then 50...

No major lightbulb moment for me this time, but I had to get a new Driver's License photo back in January. I wasn't expecting it, so I was 206 pounds, needing a haircut and badly dressed. I look like a large slab of lard with tiny pebbles for eyes, and seem so unlike myself that it's actually laughable. I'm seriously considering using it as a 'before' shot.

Thank you. And I can relate to horrible driver's license photos.
  • mudknuckles
    mudknuckles Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    When my jeans burst like the over cooked sausage I was eating.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hanatastic wrote: »
    3.) When I saw a picture of myself and realized I resemble a manatee

I kind of think I looked like a walrus. The female kind, without the tusks. :smile:

• alwaysshae
    alwaysshae Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ALL of my clothes are tight and uncomfortable. I refuse to buy bigger sizes so I have to lose weight
  • helena99716
    helena99716 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Looking at my wedding photo. The shirt (I was never into dresses) I wore looked like a bed sheet on me, not flowy and gorgeous as I imagined it would. :neutral:
    And the fact that my husband was a pretty big guy back then and all of his clothes fit me almost perfectly. I didn't realise just how big I was until then.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Being very thin most of my life, and even after having two kids I got back down to 125 (I'm 5'4") it took a while to realize. I did kind of keep tabs on my weight and would try on and off to lose weight when it would creep up- which I did, and I would always gain it back plus more. I would spend 5 or so years in a weight range and then it would creep up another 5-10 pounds. When you only gain 10 pounds a year it doesn't seem like much, but over 5-7 years suddenly you are 180 pounds. Again, when I looked in the mirror I didn't see a fat person. It was only when I looked at photos that I saw someone fat (weird how that works). I didn't hate my body even at 180. I just knew that with my family history of heart disease, diabetes and bad knees that I would be headed for that if my weight keep creeping up and up. So I joined on here and haven't looked back. Took me a year and a half to lose 55 pounds and have gained back a bit so I'm now trying to count again. It is much much harder to maintain, but the key is to be aware that you are gaining and nip it in the bud when you see that your clothes are getting a little tight. Oh and I also donated all of my bigger clothes so I have no choice but to maintain.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    When everyone in high school was shopping at American Eagle/Abercrombie and I realized I could only shop at Lane Bryant. I was always bigger but that was when I really noticed.
    Same!!