Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    quebot wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.
    Soda and other snack food on EBT...no.
    When all else fails one could actually join the workforce.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

You went out of business because you were bad at business.

I was in business 30 years. and you cant add..omg. are you a bush fan?

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

"years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what" cant read or add huh.
    I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

The same principle applies if the market value of a person is $8 or $10 or $3.

You seem confused by basic principles of hiring and personnel management.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

$14 or $15 an hour might be a living wage for a single person, it is not a living wage for a family of 4 (w/o some outside assistance).

Then one shouldn't make themselves into a family of four until they can afford it.

Which was my point - thanks for putting it so succinctly. :smiley:

And now we want to limit how many children people has? Welcome to Republic of China!!

Responsible people tend not to have more dependents than they can afford.

Yeah because every woman has a health insurance that pays for birth control or a spouse or SO that doesn't mind using "protection."

Or because, and like mentioned above by another poster, the birth control method failed. Or because due to religious practice birth control is not an option.

Let's be fair and realistic and stop being so judgemental.

Birth control is very cheap. Even without insurance, it is not a huge expenditure. And if your SO doesn't respect you enough to take your desire to be responsible into account, I question why you would be with such a person.

If a person isn't mature enough to be responsible about sex and the potential consequences, perhaps they shouldn't be having sex. And if they DO have sex and have children they can't afford...don't expect me to buy their soda.

Always strikes me as a bit of a catch 22 situation. Remain in a broken relationship, or get condemned for breaking out of it. It's no surprise that many feel trapped in that situation, both for economic and social reasons.

We're back into the reality that there are many routes into poverty, and it becomes very difficult to get out of that situation.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

$14 or $15 an hour might be a living wage for a single person, it is not a living wage for a family of 4 (w/o some outside assistance).

Then one shouldn't make themselves into a family of four until they can afford it.

And now we want to limit how many children people has? Welcome to Republic of China!!

Because nobody had ever ended up jobless or single after the fact...

That's what food stamps should be for IMO. Temporary situations where one is having financial difficulties. Not a lifestyle.

So how many people do you personally know who have a ‘food stamps lifestyle?’ Just curious.

My wife's cousin has 4 daughters by 3 different guys (there was a set of twins in there). None of the guys stayed around. Her daughters have gone down the same path with 2-4 kids each. They are all collecting benefits, even though my wife's uncle who is 80 and questionable health has spent his life savings and is still working to support them since he doesn't want his family on welfare.

My wife works in education so has a number of stories as well as a friend who works for Children and Family Services.

Cool. I also work in social services, for an agency that serves over a thousand people a year. I can count on one hand the number of people I or a colleague thought were trying to game the system. We've had way more people whose life circumstances changed and they called on their own volition to tell us thank you and they would no longer be using our services. Your wife and friend have stories because those people are uncommon enough to be MEMORABLE.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    http://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/florida-bill-would-prevent-buying-soft-drinks-with-food-stamps/281-466529691

getting back on point. no I don't think food stamps should be used to buy soda...junk food etc. no. and I do support having new laws the require drug testing for welfare and ebt recipients.

Did you know that drug testing welfare recipients costs more money than it saves by kicking off the few found to have drugs in their system? This is a dumb, inhumane practice that ends up costing more money than letting a few drug users have SNAP. There’s no evidence that the poor use more drugs than more affluent people, and they may actually use less because drugs are expensive.

Is it inhumane that many employees are subject to random drug tests by their employers? How about kids attending private schools.or participating in high school sports?

There is some debate on cost/benefit of testing welfare recipients, but inhumane, come on

I consider any routine drug testing anywhere at any time to be a massive invasion of medical privacy. Illegal drugs aren't the only substances routine drug testing can reveal and I find it absurd that employers can basically force potential employees to disclose mental health problems because psychoactive medications were found in their urine.

Drug testing because a specific person is suspected of drug use due to actual, quantifiable signs and behavior, or a situation like the Olympics where there is a high incentive to use drugs, is a different story. But drug testing for jobs that pay $9/hour? Your employer should not have the right to demand body fluids from you any more than they should have the right to look at your medical records or browsing history on your home computer.

Their house, their rules. If you don't like the rules you don't have to work there.

You don't need to demand body fluids. Testing of hair follicles was done at my kid's school and for HS sports.
  • Packerjohn
    edited April 2018

50 is 5 times 10.

Because nobody had ever ended up jobless or single after the fact...

That's what food stamps should be for IMO. Temporary situations where one is having financial difficulties. Not a lifestyle.

So how many people do you personally know who have a ‘food stamps lifestyle?’ Just curious.

My wife's cousin has 4 daughters by 3 different guys (there was a set of twins in there). None of the guys stayed around. Her daughters have gone down the same path with 2-4 kids each. They are all collecting benefits, even though my wife's uncle who is 80 and questionable health has spent his life savings and is still working to support them since he doesn't want his family on welfare.

My wife works in education so has a number of stories as well as a friend who works for Children and Family Services.

Cool. I also work in social services, for an agency that serves over a thousand people a year. I can count on one hand the number of people I or a colleague thought were trying to game the system. We've had way more people whose life circumstances changed and they called on their own volition to tell us thank you and they would no longer be using our services. Your wife and friend have stories because those people are uncommon enough to be MEMORABLE.

The question I was responding to was do you know people who have a "food stamp lifestyle". Gaming the system and a "foodstamp lifestyle" are not the same thing.

I think foodstamps and other social help is great, but we should not be enabling it as a long term/generational lifestyle.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    One of the problems with minimum wage laws is they can often hurt the unskilled poor more. If the wage floor is artificially set to $15/hour, workers who may not be tempted to take the job at $8/hour are now enticed to take the job at $15/hour.

That person who dropped out of high school and gets confused when they ring up your order and it's 9.79 and they see that $10 bill you pull out of your wallet, key it in, THEN you grab four pennies because you want a solid quarter, may not have $15/hour in skills. (I had this very person last week down new San Antonio, TX who was was confused when I gave him $20.10 for a $10.05 total. I really didn't want another $0.90 in change and a bunch of bills. He tried to give me $9.85 in change because he was confused by the extra 0.10 after he keyed in the $20.)
    For what it's worth, I can kind of understand their confusion. I work a cash register as part of my job, and once we key in a cash tender, it tells us what amount of change to give and we're supposed to put the amount of cash that we keyed in into the drawer. Giving any amount of change other than what the register tells us to throws our drawers off, and we won't balance at the end of the night.
  • MeanderingMammal
    I think foodstamps and other social help is great, but we should not be enabling it as a long term/generational lifestyle.

Again, conscious that in not in the US, are there any statistics that demonstrate that systemic reliance on the state through choice does constitute a significant segment of service users?

Across here the generational unemployed/ unemployable is a very small segment, and quite geographically restricted. The vast majority of those accessing support are the so-called employed poor.

An observation that I'd make is the effect of significant changes to our economy continue to ripple through. Movement from a largely heavy industry base has left some areas still struggling to replace that which was lost. We're not going to bring back large scale manufacturing, or mineral recovery, but in some of those areas little has replaced it. Those terms to be the areas where generational poverty is higher. Those areas also see higher incidence of substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual violence and extremely low educational achievement. All things that contribute to limited opportunity to break out of the cycle.

Notwithstanding that, if we biased the welfare system towards those areas it would fail for the vast majority of service users. Is it reasonable to design a system for the exception?

• Packerjohn
    One of the problems with minimum wage laws is they can often hurt the unskilled poor more. If the wage floor is artificially set to $15/hour, workers who may not be tempted to take the job at $8/hour are now enticed to take the job at $15/hour.

That person who dropped out of high school and gets confused when they ring up your order and it's 9.79 and they see that $10 bill you pull out of your wallet, key it in, THEN you grab four pennies because you want a solid quarter, may not have $15/hour in skills. (I had this very person last week down new San Antonio, TX who was was confused when I gave him $20.10 for a $10.05 total. I really didn't want another $0.90 in change and a bunch of bills. He tried to give me $9.85 in change because he was confused by the extra 0.10 after he keyed in the $20.)
    For what it's worth, I can kind of understand their confusion. I work a cash register as part of my job, and once we key in a cash tender, it tells us what amount of change to give and we're supposed to put the amount of cash that we keyed in into the drawer. Giving any amount of change other than what the register tells us to throws our drawers off, and we won't balance at the end of the night.

It doesn't throw your drawer off if someone gives you $0.10 more than what was keyed in and you return $0.10 more than the register says.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018

Again, conscious that in not in the US, are there any statistics that demonstrate that systemic reliance on the state through choice does constitute a significant segment of service users?

Depends on what you mean by choice or significant, I suppose.

This study suggested that many users of SNAP are short term, but that approximately 25% are longer term, and that the short term users include those who use it for short periods repeatedly. So you can basically use the stats to support whatever argument you want. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/ops/Dynamics2008-2012.pdf

SNAP is intended to be supplemental to income and only for food, so personally it's the last type of aid I'd have a problem with regardless.

Other US programs all vary. Our old "welfare" (AFDC) was replaced years ago with TANF, which is time limited. Often lately people seem to discuss the system as if AFDC was still the operating law, which I find puzzling.

Housing subsidies do pose a problem, at least for some subset, in that they are not time limited and you can even be grandfathered in (i.e., get preference because you lived there growing up, parent lived there). I think this leads to generations in public housing (although public housing has long been under attack -- IMO, rightly -- and sought to be replaced by different subsidized models). One of the major issues I have with this is that in the US housing subsidies are given to far fewer than qualify, so letting people lucky enough to get them to keep them indefinitely seems to exaggerate the unfairness in how the system works. (There are also numerous (often nasty) arguments as to what the right approach is.)

But the housing issues are going to vary places to place, and where I am I happen to be exposed to some of the greater abuses/problems with it, likely. I don't have quick access to the percentages who keep those subsidies for specific periods of time, and the huge variety of different types of subsidies make it harder to judge. And clearly people need shelter, I'm not questioning that, just how the systems work.

Seems way beyond the topic of this thread, but I guess the thread will go where it goes. ;-)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member

Only throws them off if you give the WRONG amount of change. Had the kid succeeded in giving me what he tried to give me, he would have been OVER, assuming he made no other mistakes.

So I understand the pressure. But the math works every time. If you ring up $9.79, key in $10 while I'm digging for the $0.04 in pennies, if you give me $0.21 as my change, you will be over by $0.04. If you give me a solid quarter, you will be right on.

If you enter the wrong currency tendered, the change value is also wrong. A skilled worker has to have the skills to deal with that situation.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member

50 is 5 times 10.

You can have as many children as you want.

If you want to force me to help you pay to raise them I expect to have a say regarding whether you have any more.

yep

• MeanderingMammal
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by choice or significant, I suppose.

This study suggested that many users of SNAP are short term, but that approximately 25% are longer term, and that the short term users include those who use it for short periods repeatedly. So you can basically use the stats to support whatever argument you want. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/ops/Dynamics2008-2012.pdf

SNAP is intended to be supplemental to income and only for food, so personally it's the last type of aid I'd have a problem with regardless.

Thank you. Given the amount of anecdata in the thread it's helpful to understand whether there is an understanding of the issue in general population. I know over here much of the public debate does tend towards the superficial and prejudice driven as well.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2018
    I absolutely think that food stamps should have foods that are rejected. WIC already does this.

People forget that the food stamp program is only suppose to be a supplement to a person current food source. It was never meant to be the only food source.

Also ... just so you know. You can purcase vegetable and fruit plants on food stamps. My sister has them and purchases several tomatoe plants in the spring and has an abundance of them all summer.