April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes you seem remarkably calm considering a great big inflatable finish chute is about to eat you. Nicely done. And you look fantastic and so happy too.

When I'm not running, I'm out and about bird watching and I'm intrigued by the birds in your picture.

Great Photo's, That was a good example of the winds. One of the support lines must have broken free of the weights. @sarahthes Amazing smile showing how happy you are.
    @BruinsGal_91 Those are the dreaded Canada geese you see in the corner of the pictures
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Rest day today.... I hate tapering, so I'm glad my taper is over in just under 4 days.

I actually look forward to the taper. I like letting my body recover from the rigors of training, but even more, I like being able to spend more time with my family.

I made it out for 10 tough, snowy, slushy, trail miles Saturday night with Kody, just as the sun went down. There was no moon out but with the ambient suburban light and the stars to guide me, no headlamp was needed. I could barely even walk up the steeper hills so I gave up thoughts of running that night and practiced my Zumbro Stumble instead.

Sunday I skipped my run to spend more more time working on our bathroom. I may have to skip a run this week too. I'm finally to the point of installing the underlayment. I did get some glute work in though.

April Progress:
    39 out of 150 miles

I've been pulled into the Zumbro forecast watch. The forecast has swung back and forth fairly drastically in the last few days. The last I looked this morning, Friday (when @MNLittleFinn will be running and I'll be volunteering at an aid station) will see a high of 50F, thunderstorms and 3/4" of rain while Saturday will see a high of 39F at midnight (when I start my race), steadily dropping throughout the day to 31F at the end of the race, with a cold wintery mix of rain, sleet & snow, totalling 3-5 inches. Both days winds of 20mph, with gusts to 40mph. Yay!!!!

I'm bringing everything I own and using my truck as a drop bag. Seriously.

They will posting loop by loop splits here during the race:

https://results.chronotrack.com/event/results/event/event-39133

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone. Rest day today.... I hate tapering, so I'm glad my taper is over in just under 4 days.

I actually look forward to the taper. I like letting my body recover from the rigors of training, but even more, I like being able to spend more time with my family.

I made it out for 10 tough, snowy, slushy, trail miles Saturday night with Kody, just as the sun went down. There was no moon out but with the ambient suburban light and the stars to guide me, no headlamp was needed. I could barely even walk up the steeper hills so I gave up thoughts of running that night and practiced my Zumbro Stumble instead.

Sunday I skipped my run to spend more more time working on our bathroom. I may have to skip a run this week too. I'm finally to the point of installing the underlayment. I did get some glute work in though.

April Progress:
    39 out of 150 miles

I've been pulled into the Zumbro forecast watch. The forecast has swung back and forth fairly drastically in the last few days. The last I looked this morning, Friday (when @MNLittleFinn will be running and I'll be volunteering at an aid station) will see a high of 50F, thunderstorms and 3/4" of rain while Saturday will see a high of 39F at midnight (when I start my race), steadily dropping throughout the day to 31F at the end of the race, with a cold wintery mix of rain, sleet & snow, totalling 3-5 inches. Both days winds of 20mph, with gusts to 40mph. Yay!!!!

I'm bringing everything I own and using my truck as a drop bag. Seriously.

They will posting loop by loop splits here during the race:

https://results.chronotrack.com/event/results/event/event-39133

I always run early morning, so My running only interrupts family time at the very peak of a cycle, and then only for an hour or 2 per week at most. I'm just glad that my taper was short, like 10 days in this case. My body has reacted VERY well to training, so Taper hasn't been as much of a need.

The weather looks fine to me. NWS only puts it at a 50% chance of rain, and I'll take those odds...LOL... overnight low is listed as 32, so that's not bad, as long as I keep relatively dry.... it's still 60F warmer than the temps I hit this winter! Also, I like the NWS wind forecast better too.... only gusts of 25-28... that's manageable......LOL..... Truthfully though, with the wild swings they've had in predictions, It's still a toss up I'm thinking. Thanks for posting the tracking link.
  • 7lenny7
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So many great races over the weekend! @juliet3455 @sarahthes @PastorVincent (nailed it x2!!), @kevaasen @amymoreorless @zerlinna87 @BruinsGal_91 @polskagirl01 @Teresa502 (and anyone I forgot...please forgive me!) you all did great today! @sarahthes I love your photos, particularly the one of you and @juliet3455 and the one of you with your medal. Sound like it could have been a miserable time but love the way you kept it positive. @juliet3455 racing on ice does not sound appealing. You could really hurt something when you break traction, not to mention all effort your support muscles go through.

@dreamer12151 congrats on the new Garmin!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    4/1-14.5 miles
    4/2 Rest Day
    4/3 5.7 miles (4 on dreadmill, 1.7 with Stella)
    4/4-30 minute elliptical and 30 minute strength
    4/5-8 miles
    4/6-Yoga and rest
    4/7-11.6 miles (10+1.6 with Stella)
    4/8-16 miles

55.8/180 miles

Happy Monday everyone! I am just catching up with the thread from the weekend. It looks like you all were a busy bunch of racing machines! Tis the season! I am not going to risk missing anyone by offering individual congrats, so I will offer a big collective Congratulations to all of you who raced, especially those with distance and time PRS. Way to go!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I always run early morning, so My running only interrupts family time at the very peak of a cycle, and then only for an hour or 2 per week at most. I'm just glad that my taper was short, like 10 days in this case. My body has reacted VERY well to training, so Taper hasn't been as much of a need.

The weather looks fine to me. NWS only puts it at a 50% chance of rain, and I'll take those odds...LOL... overnight low is listed as 32, so that's not bad, as long as I keep relatively dry.... it's still 60F warmer than the temps I hit this winter! Also, I like the NWS wind forecast better too.... only gusts of 25-28... that's manageable......LOL..... Truthfully though, with the wild swings they've had in predictions, It's still a toss up I'm thinking. Thanks for posting the tracking link.

It certainly helps if you're a morning person. I stay up too late for that. What I need are 26 hour days. I'm going to try harder to run before work this summer so I can run more often without it affecting other things, and so I can get Kody out before it gets to warm.

Keeping dry will be key this weekend. Being wet when it's mid 30's and blowing hard is a recipe for a DNF. Not only will this be about managing nutrition, it will be about managing layers.

For getting in and out of that campground, I'm glad I have 4-wheel drive. I wonder how soupy that will get.

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    4.34km Run/walk today was much needed after a stressful couple of weeks. Bathroom reno will be done today! We had a huge shock at work with someone being let go which has put more stress and expectations on us to cover the loss- just feeling like I'm being pulled in multiple directions.
    This run brings my total to 7.6km for the month, I had expected to be farther along but life. Hopefully I'll get more km in this week.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It certainly helps if you're a morning person. I stay up too late for that. What I need are 26 hour days. I'm going to try harder to run before work this summer so I can run more often without it affecting other things, and so I can get Kody out before it gets to warm.

Keeping dry will be key this weekend. Being wet when it's mid 30's and blowing hard is a recipe for a DNF. Not only will this be about managing nutrition, it will be about managing layers.

For getting in and out of that campground, I'm glad I have 4-wheel drive. I wonder how soupy that will get
    I've done the wet weather thing enough in the BWCA and other places, at similar temps to know that as long as I keep moving I'll be good to go. Wet/cold don't bother me nearly as much as hot/dry, so it will be good, overthinking the layering causes me more trouble than just layering decently and going with it. I've found, for me, even when it's colder/wet, I have to dress for 10-15 degrees warmer a lot of the time. Have to see this time around though. I'm getting dropped off/picked up, so at least I won't have to worry about parking, even though it means no truck for me. It's going to be fun no matter what
  • apricotqueen1
    apricotqueen1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5.8 km this evening, bringing me to 39 so far for the month! Still have nice weather to thank for the motivation, although tomorrow it will rain so I will probably be in the gym for some strength training.
    61 km left to go!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn Morning runs are my preference even though I'm a night owl. I'm just waiting until it's light out at 6:30. I don't mind starting in the dark but would like to finish in daylight (I actually love being out there just as the sun comes up!).

Also, to anyone I missed congratulating on weekend races, congrats! I loved reading all your race reports!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 - Great job! That is a tough run. Those wining times are quite impressive. I have run the Ravenal bridge and it is no joke. I will be in Charleston the weekend of the 20th and definitely plan to run the bridge.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @sarahthes you seem remarkably calm considering a great big inflatable finish chute is about to eat you. Nicely done. And you look fantastic and so happy too.

When I'm not running, I'm out and about bird watching and I'm intrigued by the birds in your picture.

Great Photo's, That was a good example of the winds. One of the support lines must have broken free of the weights. @sarahthes Amazing smile showing how happy you are.
    @BruinsGal_91 Those are the dreaded Canada geese you see in the corner of the pictures

@juliet3455 you're right. Of course they are. I was thinking they were flying from left to right and was wondering about the unusual wing shape. Now I realise they're flying right to left and it's bloomin' obvious that's what they are. D'oh!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ok.

I'm 10.57 weeks post op. It says on my PT orders that at 12 weeks I can start a return to sports/work/running.

Last visit at 6 weeks, I was doing better than expected...

So I'm thinking today is a good day to try to run a bit. Cuz it's practically 12 weeks.

Distance suggestions? 1mile? I think I can pr that mile... Like, 5 min/mile. Haha!

If I can do the 1 mile, can I try for 3?

Maybe I should wait until I'm cleared officially?

What would a runner do?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Suggestion would be an elliptical machine that would reduce stress on body. If your going to run how about the treadmill with no incline and a very modest pace. Limit to 1 mile even if it feels ok. Let how you feel tomorrow be the important data.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Suggestion would be an elliptical machine that would reduce stress on body. If your going to run how about the treadmill with no incline and a very modest pace. Limit to 1 mile even if it feels ok. Let how you feel tomorrow be the important data.

Hate elliptical. Too hard. I'll fall on the TM. Or get dizzy cuz it's in a corner. (Ya, I could move it).

*Grits teeth* I want to run free *grrrrrr*. LOL!

Noted.... *Sigh* I have 2 hours at work before I decide.. good point on the incline... Trails might not be the best idea. Yet.

I feel caged today.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ok.

I'm 10.57 weeks post op. It says on my PT orders that at 12 weeks I can start a return to sports/work/running.

Last visit at 6 weeks, I was doing better than expected...

So I'm thinking today is a good day to try to run a bit. Cuz it's practically 12 weeks.

Distance suggestions? 1mile? I think I can pr that mile... Like, 5 min/mile. Haha!

If I can do the 1 mile, can I try for 3?

Maybe I should wait until I'm cleared officially?

What would a runner do?

We are the WRONG group to ask. :) I would say most of us would already be running by now :lol:

My official advice is "Listen to your medical professional" :D Possibly call them and ask about running today?