April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber, @PastorVincent eh, the moment has past. I'm reminded by my niggling hamstring concerns and hip tightness, that running wouldn't be the wisest thing to try without the official go ahead.

What's on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? And what can I binge eat?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Eureka came out on Amazon or so I'm told. Good show from what I remember.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber, @PastorVincent eh, the moment has past. I'm reminded by my niggling hamstring concerns and hip tightness, that running wouldn't be the wisest thing to try without the official go ahead.

What's on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? And what can I binge eat?

Good choice, Elise!
    When I was in London the hotel had this really good popcorn at the bar. So I made some yesterday! It was popcorn with white cheddar and Old Bay Seasoning sprinkled on top. I found the White Cheddar sprinkles right by the popcorn in Target. I don't like to make microwave popcorn so I popped it on the stove top and then sprinkled it on while it was hot. Really good!

No idea on what's on Amazon, etc. But I did watch Molly's Game and The Darkest Hour on the plane ride home and I liked those.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270- Hubby and I have been watching Black Mirror on Netflix. It's like a modern day Twilight Zone that focuses on modern technology and its social impact. I am hooked!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I went out Saturday just past 8 am and by 9 I had to call it quits. I was starting to overheat. Last late-ish run for me. Everything will be early or after sunset. I was annoyed by all these people complaining of cold when I had to turn the AC on. I tried but it was 85 in the house on Saturday and we slept awful because of it.

With sunscreen, I learned a long time ago to apply it before getting dressed. It takes a few more minutes to let it dry but it makes sure you get everything. Although I don't put it on for short runs because I need the natural vitamin D, only apply when I will be out for an hour or more. This is doc approved, both gastro and dermatologist.

@elise4270 My netflix and amazon is filled with true crime docs. I started the American Office but I got two episodes in and gave up. Original so much better so I suggest that.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Today is a scheduled rest day for me, tomorrow the plan is a 3 mile run. Not sure if it'll be outside or on the treadmill..and whether it'll be first thing in the morning or after work. we'll just play it by ear. I know for sure, though,that i definitely enjoy running outside more than the treadmill now. I get so bored on the treadmill.

I'm doing Higdon's 10k novice training plan by the way, I'm starting week 4 this week :)

Races:

Kellys Fun Run 5k-3/11/18

SIU 5k Run- 4/14/18
    Bridge the Gap to Health 10k-5/19/18
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - I have thought about putting it on before I get dressed but never think about it until after I am dressed :blush:
    The dermatologist told me I need to wear.sunscreen.always. Oh and a hat whenever I go outside even for a few minutes. He also gave me a catalog of UV blocking clothes that he wanted me to wear when I run - ummm nope! I have UV blocking shirts from REI and while they are great for hiking, etc. they are way too hot for running! In the summer on longer runs I do take a small tube of sunscreen with me and reapply especially to sweaty areas (face, neck, etc.).

@lporter229 - I am going to tell my husband about Black Mirror. It sounds like something he would really enjoy!

@ddmom0811 - did you like the popcorn with the old bay seasoning too or just the cheddar? It sounds really good!

@Elise4270 - good choice! go make some popcorn and binge watch something! I am still watching Orange is the New Black. I think I am in season 2 but I am getting kind of bored with it now. There is always Mad Men too - love that show :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 good decision - you'll get out there soon! I have no recommendations on TV shows, the last I binge watched was Game of Thrones, but other than that I'm woefully out of touch with anything. Binge eating though - ice cream! Tonight I probably be polishing off a tub of Edy's Slow Churned Chocolate Mint Chip.

@shanaber so sorry about the sunburn. OUCH. Great reminder for us all going into warm weather and exposing all that skin. I'm headed to Austin this week so I'm glad you reminded me to pack sunscreen. And yes, we should be able to split the difference between hot and cold and everybody be nice and mild for a while, right? I'll try to drag some of the cooler weather with me when I head that direction.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/18 :::: 5.3 :::: 5.3
    04/02/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 8.9
    04/03/18 :::: 4.8 :::: 13.7
    04/04/18 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.2
    04/05/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 18.3
    04/06/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 18.3
    04/07/18 :::: 10.2 :::: 28.5
    04/08/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 32.0
    04/09/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 35.2

Another treadmill run before my circuit training workout today. This one felt pretty good as far as treadmill runs go. My playlist was working for me and I felt lighter on my feet than I have for a while. I was getting a little dance-y with it in some places even. I thought during it that this is how I want to feel when I run my races, light and having fun, so I will try to remember that.

Circuit training was tough, as usual, more arm work this time though (including these sandbag lifts where I managed to leave a nice mark on my bicep). Glad to have a break from that for a week too while I travel. I think my trainer forgot to give me homework and I didn't remind her. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber I'm sure most docs would tell me I need sunscreen with my paleness and don't tan skin. I'm either pale or red, no in between. Plus my fam history of melanoma. But my D numbers are super low even while on 5000 mg a day. Yay celiac disease. It's a balance. Some sun but not too much sun. Like hiking? Always sunscreen and a hat.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oooo... So many new things to watch. @shanaber I started Mad Men then DH found this dumb show, Psych and I've bee watching it. It's funny dumb so I don't have to think much following along!

I'm gonna check out Eureka, although I'm almost positive DS and I watched it. It was great! I saw Orange is the New Black some time ago... might pick it back up. Dh will question the woman on woman sex... And I'll have to endure his teenage boy like jibs. So...

I'm taking notes on all the other suggestions. Thanks!

ETA DD brought me a pizza. OMG. I just might break my "diet"... Although I have a business trip, and new clothes that I need to be able to wear...
    And @katharmonic chocolate mint chip is my favorite.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @Elise4270 Love Psych! They just had a movie that was just as good as the show.
  • zerlinna87
    zerlinna87 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I along with 27,413 other people ran the Cooper River Bridge Run (10k) in Charleston, SC this weekend. Thankfully, the weather there was not a problem. We even made it to the beach on Friday afternoon. Too cold to swim but the temp was a nice 74F and it felt great sitting on the beach soaking up some sun. We went to the expo on Friday morning. It was decent-size. We ran a little over 3 miles on Friday morning just to shake things out.

At start time on race day, it was 64F, mostly cloudy with a 10MPH wind blowing and 84% humidity. The wind was slightly stronger at the top of the bridge. We left the hotel a bit too early and was on the first shuttle bus to the start line resulting in a lot of standing around time. I would rather be late than early though. The race has a costume contest so there were some interesting people to observe while waiting and a DJ was playing music. (I passed a nun running in full habit but she was legit – 67 years old and running to raise money for an orphanage.) We moved back a starting corral to be hang out with a friend. There were about 5,000 less people running this year so the corrals moved pretty fast once the race started. I didn’t carry my water bottle with me and didn’t stop at the first water station which was around mile 1.5. Unfortunately, the next water station wasn’t until the other side of the Ravenal Bridge around mile 5 and I was so thirsty by then. Other than a brief walk up one side of the bridge when I got trapped behind a bunch of walkers, this was the only time I walked.

The end of the race was my least favorite part. It was so crowded because they funnel everyone into a park that really isn’t big enough to accommodate this amount of people. There were only 4 or 5 people giving out medals so that caused a big human traffic jam with everyone trying to get one. I don’t know if some of the volunteers didn’t show up or if it was just poor planning. At one point I felt like a cow at the market being herded. They had watermelon, muffins, bananas, apples and oranges at the end but the lines were so long, it really wasn’t worth it.

A former Olympian and US Army vet from Colorado was the overall winner with a time of 28:25. The female winner was from Ethiopia with a time of 32:19. Me, I was just happy with my time of 1:04.

Congrats to everyone who raced this past weekend!
    p7vzcpfuguac.jpg

I also ran the CRBR on Saturday! I live in the Charleston area, and this was not my first time running it. It sounds like you came in from out of town to run? It is a very large race and very crowded. I actually thought it was better planned than previous years, but I definitely agree that it's a lot of people, especially at the end. My sister told me it's the third largest 10k in the US. I'm glad you had a good time!