April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Next race: Lublin Marathon, May 13

Crazy question: I am feeling ready to back off on the mileage after the marathon, and want to maintain for a while around half-marathon fitness. SO there's this half marathon 3 weeks after the marathon... Could I just do a regular post-marathon recovery (one week of zero running, then basically a reverse taper) and run the half by feel? I wouldn't be aiming for a PR, mainly just a finish in a fun race, and the cool shirt they designed for it. Is this a bad idea???

Last year, I ran a 10K 13 days after Boston. I was thinking, maybe I can run the distance but I'll have to run easy. Then, maybe I can run it at MP. Then, maybe I can run it at half marathon pace. Then, maybe I can run it at threshold. The day came, I felt great, and I ran a PR 10K. Then the next day it was like I was in marathon recovery all over again. In hindsight, 13 days was too soon to run a 10K hard; but I got away with it.

I think you'll be okay with three weeks instead of my 13 days. You won't be totally recovered from the marathon, but you should be far enough along to run a half if you aren't pushing for personal best time.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

April 2018
    04.01.18 - 10 m. / 60 minutes on bike trainer.
    04.02.18 - 3.5 m EZ. / Swim
    04.05.18 - 10 m.
    04.07.18 - 26.2 m. W/ one of my MFP best friends.
    04.08.18 - 1 m. EZ
    04.09.18 - 1 m. EZ travel day
    04.10.18 - 6 m. And 1 hour bike trainer

Upcoming Events:
    05.06.18 - Flying Pig Marathon.
    05.20.18 - IronMan 70.3 Chattanooga
    07.14.18 - IronMan 70.3 Muncie
    07.29.18 - IronMan 70.3 Ohio

• Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Once again, thank you to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I'm feeling much more positive than I have in weeks.

I met with the oncologist today to discuss details of my chemo plan. I've got the "easy" chemo - just a shot in the arm, no IV needed. We'll do one week on, one week off and blood work once every two weeks. We'll repeat as necessary to get the results we want. This has an 85-90% success rate. I have to get a brain MRI on Friday as well, just to be sure nothing nasty is rattling around there, but again, I'm feeling positive.

I had the first shot today, felt no side effects thus far, but it sorta feels like everything is a "be on the look out for this" symptom. Headache? Call the doctor. Cough? Call the doctor. Big toe itches? Call the doctor. (That last one might be hyperbole).

I'm not only cleared to run, but encouraged to do so. I didn't get to the gym today - too much sitting in offices and waiting. Tomorrow, in-laws and teething toddler willing, my husband and I will head over. I feel directionless as far as running though. I finished c25k and c210k at the end of last year and was just starting a half marathon training plan, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump back in to that. I don't want to start from the very beginning because I do still have some conditioning left, but it has been a few months since I've run routinely. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you have fantastic support from friends and family and a medical team that know what they are doing! Really hoping you get the all clear soon! <3
    They have some speed programs on podrunner.com that might work to push your times? Rather than push for distance? Not sure but may be worth a look!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    April goal = 50km.
    As of April 10, I'm 16.46km in. I'm on track!

I'm training for a 5k using couch to 5k. I just did week 7, run 1 and I definitely employed my willpower. My run on Sunday was easy, fun...this one was just *pout*

I did a full-body scan:

Does anything hurt - like seriously hurt? No. My hip flexor is pinching a bit - I gave it a few minutes and it loosened up. My legs did not feel overly fatigued or painful.
    Am I struggling for breath, dizzy, etc.? No. I am cardiovascularly just fine.
    Will there be any negative repercussions to continuing? To stopping? No. Tomorrow is a rest day and I will take the opportunity to stretch out. If I stop, I will have to repeat this run.

So i just kept putting one foot in front of the other and I finished it.

NSV note: On Sunday, my husband (who is perpetually fit and can run 5km any old time even after not working out for months on end) came for a run with me. I have never in our eleven years together been able to run but we are on equal footing now! He was so proud of me, and I of myself.

@kdbulger That is seriously excellent self-talk.

I'm impressed!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    [...]Next race: Lublin Marathon, May 13

Crazy question: I am feeling ready to back off on the mileage after the marathon, and want to maintain for a while around half-marathon fitness. SO there's this half marathon 3 weeks after the marathon... Could I just do a regular post-marathon recovery (one week of zero running, then basically a reverse taper) and run the half by feel? I wouldn't be aiming for a PR, mainly just a finish in a fun race, and the cool shirt they designed for it. Is this a bad idea???

@polskagirl01 How many marathons have you done?

3 weeks after mine (my first, in August), I ran 24 km on my 24 month running anniversary, and it was a struggle.

I still did it without stopping, but it felt like a battle.

But if your race has got a cool shirt, go for it. :smiley:
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    [...]Next race: Lublin Marathon, May 13

@polskagirl01 How many marathons have you done?

3 weeks after mine (my first, in August), I ran 24 km on my 24 month running anniversary, and it was a struggle.

I still did it without stopping, but it felt like a battle.

But if your race has got a cool shirt, go for it. :smiley:

This will be my third. The others were May 2017 and January 2018.
    I recovered very well from January, was back at HM training run distance a month later and then jumped right back into training for this one. I was going to wait and see what 26.2 throws at me in May before deciding (gotta respect the distance), but races around here tend to sell out. So for now I'm stalking the sign-up page.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

I'm not only cleared to run, but encouraged to do so. I didn't get to the gym today - too much sitting in offices and waiting. Tomorrow, in-laws and teething toddler willing, my husband and I will head over. I feel directionless as far as running though. I finished c25k and c210k at the end of last year and was just starting a half marathon training plan, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump back in to that. I don't want to start from the very beginning because I do still have some conditioning left, but it has been a few months since I've run routinely. Any suggestions?

I suggest you restart the half marathon plan. You might not run a 1/2 any time soon but having a plan to follow while you go through the rest of your issues I think will be a help. It will be easy to just look at the plan and say "okay today is 4 miles," instead of guess work and figuring things out when you are already stressed.

I agree, and would also say that you can feel free to repeat weeks depending on how you feel, since you aren't on a time schedule to get to a certain distance. Your main goal is to get healthy, so even if you settle in at a certain point and want to just "maintain" there for a while, that's okay too.