Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Excerpt from a very good article:
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

https://www.self.com/story/alcoholic-or-just-really-like-to-drink

I think I own the farm on stupid reasons to drink. I am a creature of habit. I like doing the same things at the same time. I used to be a once a week drinker and something happened (details not important) and I started drinking more daily. Once the ritual formed even though I didn't love it my OCD kicked in and I just kept doing it. So drinking became no different than my need to wash dishes at a specific time each day. The sad thing is I am generally considered a very smart person but as I always say smart people are completely capable of doing really stupid things too. So do I have an alcohol problem or a ritual problem... probably a little of both.

Last Sunday night I really did not want to drink but it was my scheduled drinking day. See? Stupid. Just saying no more though frightens me. I think I might be heading in that direction but for now I will stick to the plan even if it results in some stupid behavior

I think self reflection is part of the journey. I think there is something we both gain from drinking and so we do it. But I think once we figure out why we are drinking (which we probably know deep down) , we can work on the habit. And create a new habit. Lately, meditation is really working for me. I go on insight timer app and pick a guided one and lie down and listen. It is changing my brain, I think. I dont know how or why but meditation is becoming my new passion.
    I think you're making some real progress on your own journey. It's all about learning and growing. Xo
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. Never mind. Not today, not the right thread.

Ha me too! I’ve been off the wagon and need go get back on but motivation has not been there
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Never mind. Not today, not the right thread.

I see what you wanted to do there.

sarahbums wrote: »
    for those of you familiar with AA/ the 12-step approach who like the idea behind the Just for Today book but maybe aren't so into the 'higher power' stuff, i highly recommend the book "Beyond Belief: Agnostic Musings for a 12-Step Life." I found it at a bookstore while i was in treatment. It's a nice collection of daily reflections/meditations/quotes for living sober.

Thanks! Much appreciated.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Excerpt from a very good article:
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

https://www.self.com/story/alcoholic-or-just-really-like-to-drink

I think I own the farm on stupid reasons to drink. I am a creature of habit. I like doing the same things at the same time. I used to be a once a week drinker and something happened (details not important) and I started drinking more daily. Once the ritual formed even though I didn't love it my OCD kicked in and I just kept doing it. So drinking became no different than my need to wash dishes at a specific time each day. The sad thing is I am generally considered a very smart person but as I always say smart people are completely capable of doing really stupid things too. So do I have an alcohol problem or a ritual problem... probably a little of both.

Last Sunday night I really did not want to drink but it was my scheduled drinking day. See? Stupid. Just saying no more though frightens me. I think I might be heading in that direction but for now I will stick to the plan even if it results in some stupid behavior

Very insightful. Need to think this through as it sounds a bit like me.

Also related is the post on how much is a problem for you/me.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On my second week back at work, for which I am so grateful. It's out of the question for me to drink during the week, I just couldn't balance it along with work...even though years ago I used to do it almost daily. But I have changed, gotten older, and just can't tolerate it anymore.

So I will plan sometime throughout the weekend to indulge, if I wish. If I don't, then all the better. It's like the food part of weight loss...if I plan and know I'm not depriving myself, I can have anything.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    With all the mark zuckerberg and facebook stuff, have you guys noticed what the top ad on this page is? hmm makes you think. I'm on my computer not my phone. It may be different on my phone.

Add: It is different on my phone. No ad.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    I need to get back to dry land after my vacation.

Hope it was great.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    With all the mark zuckerberg and facebook stuff, have you guys noticed what the top ad on this page is? hmm makes you think. I'm on my computer not my phone. It may be different on my phone.

Ads are very personalized and targeted to individuals based on your search history, key words you may have used in forum discussions, and algorithms that predict what they think you’ll be interested in. Right now I’m seeing campground ads because I was looking for a campsite for Memorial Day weekend.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! Back on track with logging, exercise, and no alcohol since last Friday. Hasn’t been a temptation, but we are finally supposed to have some spring weather here and I know when the grill is going and kids are playing in the back yard the Rose will be calling my name...
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My goal is moderation after an almost daily habit of a glass of wine or two. After maybe 5 weeks I'm having nights where I don't even think about wine so I feel like the gate is open and I'm running free.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    also, speaking of your earlier posts do you ever get the dark chocolate peanut butter cups at TJs? Soooo good

Oh yes, exactly those. Dark chocolate PB cups from TJ's. They are perfection and a great, reasonably low cal blast of something sweet after dinner. Here's an "amusing" story (if you're not me, that is). One of the clerks there told me about a year ago that I could slow the consumption rate down if I froze them, which I did. Things went along fine for a couple of weeks until one, day, after lunch, I bit into a frozen one and cracked my front tooth. It fell out within a week and I have been in the process of a $5000+ implant ever since. I still don't have a real tooth, but on course to have one by mid May. It's been a yearlong process. So, the moral of the story is don't abuse your teeth by biting down on hard things, LOL.
  • SpanishFusion
    Options
    For the past year or so I have drank upwards of 6 ciders about 5 times a week, every week. I have not taken a vow to not drink, just became more aware of the amount of empty calories I was taking in. Today, if I don't drink tonight, will be my 7th day without alcohol. That saved me at the very minimum 5700 calories over the last week!!! When I saw this post, I was like OMG this post was totally meant for me, today. Last night I cried, fighting with myself, after cracking one open...I won, I did not drink it, and after awhile I was okay with that decision. Okay, enough rambling...thanks for this post!!!

Think about the money you saved too! I estimated that I'm saving about $50-$60 a week by being AF Mon-Thurs. Great job! There's alot of gains by being AF and Moderation! What will you do with your extra cash?
  • SpanishFusion
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

Ads are very personalized and targeted to individuals based on your search history, key words you may have used in forum discussions, and algorithms that predict what they think you’ll be interested in. Right now I’m seeing campground ads because I was looking for a campsite for Memorial Day weekend.

That's true. It just freaked me out for a minute. lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @Orphia

I don't know how many reasons are out there for drinking but I doubt seriously it all boils down to a single formula. By the same token I doubt I am completely unique in my particular situation.

@kittybenn

I have to live a rule before it takes hold. Luckily I am the kind of person who uses rubbing alcohol as aftershave and I don't mind going outside in the freezing cold without a jacket. To simplify I can endure just about anything if I know relief is right around the corner. I think that is the reason I can't just say no more yet. The part I really need to figure out next is how to drink less on allowance day. Last Sunday I promised myself I would drink less and before I realized it I had drank the same amount because that is how much I always drink when I drink and as I mentioned I really didn't want to drink at all but it was friggun allowance day.

The good news is that even though the plan is not yet perfect it is still working more than it doesn't and going two weeks in between is not that much of a struggle. In two months I have shed quite a few pounds too. I am already back to 2010-2011 weight with my eye on 2005ish in another few months.

Good for you on the donuts. My no-more list started about 4 years ago and it has been that long since I have had a donut. I visited sausage and half a biscuit about 18 months ago but I immediately regretted it and have not been back. I have to remind myself from time to time that it is irresponsible at my age to eat like I was still 20 and we all know I shouldn't have been eating that way then either.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    also, speaking of your earlier posts do you ever get the dark chocolate peanut butter cups at TJs? Soooo good

Oh yes, exactly those. Dark chocolate PB cups from TJ's. They are perfection and a great, reasonably low cal blast of something sweet after dinner. Here's an "amusing" story (if you're not me, that is). One of the clerks there told me about a year ago that I could slow the consumption rate down if I froze them, which I did. Things went along fine for a couple of weeks until one, day, after lunch, I bit into a frozen one and cracked my front tooth. It fell out within a week and I have been in the process of a $5000+ implant ever since. I still don't have a real tooth, but on course to have one by mid May. It's been a yearlong process. So, the moral of the story is don't abuse your teeth by biting down on hard things, LOL.

Oh my gosh the worst! I just had a new 1400 crown done. The expense of teeth is insane!! I usually put them in the fridge :) good compromise - cold eat longer but not too hard