Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Some of us like Dry January app where you can keep track on a calendar your AF days. Happy to hear from you!

Just downloaded this app. It's awesome- replaced my countdown app with this. Really cool how it shows you not only money saved but how many less calories consumed by cutting down. Thank you!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Hello, friends! I just got back from Target where the wine witch was trying to get me to buy a bottle. I shut her up with an Americano from Starbucks and then walked down the wine aisle without buying anything, just to show her who was boss ;-) Tomorrow is Day 75 <3

I love this 'the wine witch'. I think we all have a little wine(insertyourpoisonofchoice) witch in all of us.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Last 2 days really hard. Made it through my son's 3 year since going to heaven day yesterday. I can't believe it is 3 years. Let the diet go to remain AF. Now back to it. Weight must go. That is holding me back like alcohol was. I have things to do here. Signed up for a 5k to support Domestic Violence that I will do early May. It is a Run/Walk. At least I can do that. I would not be able to do it if I was drinking the way that I was.

{{HUGS }} <3<3<3 your doing amazing, I'm sure you'll do great with your 5k
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I am doing dry April (with an exception for NFL Draft Day!) This means no matter what party or wherever I go, I'll be doing it sober.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Obviously the motivation and support is the best thing of this group. But after a few months with you guys I find myself noticing other little things. Like tonight I happen to be watching the Astros World Series Penant celebration and remembered that @donimfp was going to be at the game. Hope it’s a blast!

@erikNJ, aww! Thanks! I just logged back on here after a few days. So fun to think I have a bunch of new friends and that one even remembered I was at the game. I guess you noticed they had a bit of trouble unveiling that banner. Watching the poor guy behind it jumping up, trying to get the black cover off, everyone was pretty amused. But it finally happened and my beloveds won the game. I enjoyed watching with a big bottle of water, even while my sister's friend was sipping her BOTTLE of wine. I didn't know you could do that, but they pour it into a plastic thingie. One thing that helped was thinking that Vintage Astros probably wasn't comparable to the wine I enjoyed in Italy.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Obviously the motivation and support is the best thing of this group. But after a few months with you guys I find myself noticing other little things. Like tonight I happen to be watching the Astros World Series Penant celebration and remembered that @donimfp was going to be at the game. Hope it’s a blast!

@erikNJ, aww! Thanks! I just logged back on here after a few days. So fun to think I have a bunch of new friends and that one even remembered I was at the game. I guess you noticed they had a bit of trouble unveiling that banner. Watching the poor guy behind it jumping up, trying to get the black cover off, everyone was pretty amused. But it finally happened and my beloveds won the game. I enjoyed watching with a big bottle of water, even while my sister's friend was sipping her BOTTLE of wine. I didn't know you could do that, but they pour it into a plastic thingie. One thing that helped was thinking that Vintage Astros probably wasn't comparable to the wine I enjoyed in Italy.

That was HILARIOUS to watch hahaha
    donimfp wrote: »
    @erikNJ, how about decaf coffee? I love coffee, too, and like tea ok but do not by any means swoon over it. But I have to have my coffee decaf unless it's just one cup in the morning. I'm sure you know Starbucks and any decent coffee house will offer

Maybe, have not tried. I only have my one cup of regular coffee in the morning. That does the trick
  • erikNJ
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    sdogg626 wrote: »
    SD1957 wrote: »
    I mark an X on my calendar on my AF days. I aim for at least 2 days a week - it's a visual I can look at to see where I am on any given day. Sometimes I falter and go 3-4 days the following week.

I do this too! I was AF 18 out of 31 days in March, aiming higher for April! Also, I wish I loved tea the way some of you do, I just find it boring :/

I am with you, I don’t get the tea thing at all. And for something I dont get it seems like a waste to spend money buying a bunch of it hoping I do like one. I LOVE coffee but I cant have that at night or I will never sleep. It’s basically just water for me on my days I dont drink

Haha :D your funny, i bet if i told u a fact abt coffee , what its doing to u and u see it is.. i bet youll find a way out of it.. ;):p

There r really nice teas that kind of has the same taste as coffee like rooibos and there's another ..Russian caravan or u could try chi tea thats * curl- a- mo* ;) fruit tea is yum too..

Maybe, but i’m sure we could pick apart all of our diets and find things that we shouldn’t have.
    What a terribly boring world it would be if we couldn’t have hardly anything we enjoyed ...
  • erikNJ
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    sdogg626 wrote: »
    SD1957 wrote: »
    I mark an X on my calendar on my AF days. I aim for at least 2 days a week - it's a visual I can look at to see where I am on any given day. Sometimes I falter and go 3-4 days the following week.

I do this too! I was AF 18 out of 31 days in March, aiming higher for April! Also, I wish I loved tea the way some of you do, I just find it boring :/

I am with you, I don’t get the tea thing at all. And for something I dont get it seems like a waste to spend money buying a bunch of it hoping I do like one. I LOVE coffee but I cant have that at night or I will never sleep. It’s basically just water for me on my days I dont drink

I like Alpine spiced apple cider. Pre-mixed packets, just add hot water. I also add cinnamon. They are only 90 calories. Just a thought cuz water gets boring. :)

I do enjoy a nice cider! Maybe I will try that on a night I can swing some extra calories.
    I do agree about water getting boring, but somehow I have made it 3 months with it since I’ve changed for a healthier lifestyle
  • Cir3
    Cir3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking for four months, but found I had no idea what people do on Friday and Saturday night if not drinking, and have no friends that are not out drinking.
    After a while I gave in and started again but realize it is not really what I want. Have recently cut down to 1x/ week. Was hoping for some suggestions on how to be social on the weekends w/o alcohol?
  • wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    JulieAL1969, I echo Islandbeez 100%!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Cir3 wrote: »
    I quit drinking for four months, but found I had no idea what people do on Friday and Saturday night if not drinking, and have no friends that are not out drinking.
    After a while I gave in and started again but realize it is not really what I want. Have recently cut down to 1x/ week. Was hoping for some suggestions on how to be social on the weekends w/o alcohol?

That's a tough one. I admit that going out with friends to bars and parties isn't as fun in the beginning when you're not drinking, so for the last few months, I've become a homebody. However, I do force myself to go out with friends even if they're drinking, and I choose to just not drink. I think we have to learn how to socialize without drinking, but we don't have to sit home alone either.
    And it's definitely a plus knowing that I wont be the one with a hangover the next day. That's a huge bonus for me.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/chris-appleford-/how-to-go-out-and-have-fun-without-drinking_a_21441120/

Found this article online; not the best article but a few good tips.
    @Cir3 Another thought is re-visit your hobbies, things you enjoyed doing before you drank. Maybe there are events for that hobby you could attend on the weekend.