Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the Netflix docuflix, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead?

It was well done, Entertaining and extremely inspiring.
    Made with a sense of humor but seriously valuable information to consider.
  • crashIN79
    crashIN79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just joining in. Two weeks into this new journey/lifestyle change always looking for ideas, etc. and will be more fun to be on the journey with others. :)
  • TripleSnake
    TripleSnake Posts: 77 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »
    My best guess is, that if you are doing sports consistantly, you are building muscle which weighs more than fat. If that’s happening, you will notice toning up and more definition in affected muscles. Trading fat for muscle is preferable by me even if the weight plateaus while it’s developing, since muscle uses more energy and will help continue weight loss in the future given your calories don’t exceed your energy output. Well-toned Muscles make you look slimmer at comparable weights too.

I would think so as well, but in 2 months since I started sports, at most I lost 1 inch in measurements (I measure every week), mostly way less... Though I lost almost 9lbs in last 8 weeks, before starting sports I lost 8-10 lbs a month. Anyway, even from these 9 lbs, 2+ lbs lost came when I traveled and walked a lot, and ate not much (I came with lots of waterweight - swollen ankles, but when it fell off, the weight was considerably smaller). Oh well, will try to continue... now only need to work a bit on cardio, anyone wants to ping me in the evening a bit so I would not skip it due to lack of motivation? :wink:
  • TripleSnake
    TripleSnake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    crashIN79 wrote: »
    Hi! Just joining in. Two weeks into this new journey/lifestyle change always looking for ideas, etc. and will be more fun to be on the journey with others. :)
    Good luck finding what works for you!

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Birder165 wrote: »
    MissSass2 wrote: »
    Making mini goals for myself to get back on track.
    Goals this week: Logging all foods (good and bad), bring lunch to work so I don't have to get take out. Drink more water, exercise 3 days this week.
    Goals this month: Weigh in every Monday morning and log it.

I never used to log my bad days of eating or foods that I thought were bad for dieting. This time I promised myself, no matter what, that I'd log everything and I've stuck to it. It really gives you valuable feedback. I was surprised many times that I didn't really do that bad ... was pretty much eating at maintenance or slightly over. Sure, there were also days that I was 3000 cals & over but I realized that it would stall my weight loss for a few days and it would show on the scale but if I got back on track, I'd keep losing eventually. I feel more empowered over my eating this way and a lot less guilty. When I ignored those days, I'd get to thinking, "Well, I blew it yesterday might as well start over on Monday." I don't have start-over Mondays anymore. I get back on the horse the next day. (my overeating is always done at night)

I was the same way at first and now I log everything even my bad days. It helps me realize that my bad days really aren’t that bad when I stay on track most of the time. At some point if your logging your bad days too you’ll end up not having as many bad days which will be a win for you… You got this!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Wow, I've haven't checked in in weeks, and now am behind by over 200 posts!! February ended with a lot of stress between my aunt passing, a car accident, and my dog injuring himself. March was really just a struggle to keep my head above water--work has been impossibly hectic; I spent every day of my spring break last week grading essays and other assignments, and I'm still not caught up. However, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to get caught up over the next week.

One plus is that I switched my gym membership as planned to a Well On Target plan through my health insurance (BCBS). I pay $25/month and get access to a bunch of different gyms. I can still go to SNAP where I used to have a membership, but I can also go to the Workout Anytime or the new Planet Fitness that's opening right around the corner from my house. It will be nice to have some variety.

My weight has remained stable at about 197-200 over the past month that I haven't been working out or logging food, so I'm happy I didn't gain anything, but summer is just around the corner, so it's time to get back on track.

I will be at a conference the next couple of days, so not ideal for logging or exercise, but I will do my best.

Glad things are looking better fir you.I use Planet Fitness it is nice.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    Ok, Logging question for everyone. Our gym has Cybex Arc trainers. MFP doesn't have a preset calculator for it. The machine said I burned 124 cal in 15 minutes. Cybex's official calculator said I burned 447. That's a big difference. The closest thing MFP has is an ellipical, and that said i would have burned 306. Right now, I have Cybex's number logged, but I don't know if I picked the right one. Which would you have logged?

I’ve learned that the calories burned in the exercise section of the application are higher than normal. I always just use the exercise that’s closest to what I did and then change the calories burned to what the machine actually says. I would’ve chose the elliptical too
  • sueco28
    sueco28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be in on this challenge if I can? I read a lot but don't post much. :)
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Birder165 That has been a big stumbling block over the years for me was to not record the food I ate on the bad days. I think it goes with some of the black and white thinking I learned growing up, that if things are not perfect, they are not right. But I have realize over the years, that is not true. I too am trying to log everything that I eat. Thanks again for sharing.

@mnwalkingqueen @moodybear2003 I generally as a rule take whatever the machine say and cut it in half. So if the treadmill says I burned 820 calories, I will cut that in half to 410 calories. I think some articles have been written on it. I have also been inclined to cut it by 75%. That would give me 205 calories. It gives me a buffer if I go over my daily intake. I try not to go over my daily intake as well. But as I track my calorie consumption and fitness burn more and more, I will see what work for best for me.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Think Spring! Challenge

Name: BarneyRubbleMD
    Height: 5' 3"
    Highest Weight: 317 lbs (1/3/2017)
    Start Weight (Mar 01, 2018): 211.8
    Goal Weight (Apr 27, 2018): 203.8 (i.e. lose 1 lb/week)

Weigh-ins, week of
    Mar 07: 211.2 lbs (on vacation March 1-6, stayed on diet & walked & didn't binge).
    Mar 14: 209.0 lbs
    Mar 21: 207.2 lbs
    Mar 28: 206.4 lbs
    Apr 04: 205.2 lbs (increased carbs & walking, eliminated wheat & rye, added in oats, potatoes & rice).
    Apr 11: 202.8 lbs (& 1 lb below my goal for this challenge--not binging this time helped with that).
    Apr 18:
    Apr 25:

Weight -/+ this week: - 2.4 lbs.
    Weight -/+ this challenge: - 9.0 lbs.
    Total weight lost (since 1/3/2017): 114.2 lbs.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one! I hope to get to the point of having less bad days. I think I'm not eating AS badly when I do though so I guess that's a step in the right direction.

@Lakota1961 I used to totally be caught up in perfectionism. I never wanted to face my bad days. Since I started logging it all, funnily enough, I haven't quit trying to lose and I'm sticking with it. I finally turned a corner with this & I really believe that this time I'll reach my goal weight, no matter how long it takes me.
  • Birder165
    Options
    Think Spring! Challenge

Name: BarneyRubbleMD
    Height: 5' 3"
    Highest Weight: 317 lbs (1/3/2017)
    Start Weight (Mar 01, 2018): 211.8
    Goal Weight (Apr 27, 2018): 203.8 (i.e. lose 1 lb/week)

Weigh-ins, week of
    Mar 07: 211.2 lbs (on vacation March 1-6, stayed on diet & walked & didn't binge).
    Mar 14: 209.0 lbs
    Mar 21: 207.2 lbs
    Mar 28: 206.4 lbs
    Apr 04: 205.2 lbs (increased carbs & walking, eliminated wheat & rye, added in oats, potatoes & rice).
    Apr 11: 202.8 lbs (& 1 lb below my goal for this challenge--not binging this time helped with that).
    Apr 18:
    Apr 25:

Weight -/+ this week: - 2.4 lbs.
    Weight -/+ this challenge: - 9.0 lbs.
    Total weight lost (since 1/3/2017): 114.2 lbs.

You're doing so well this month!!! Good for you!
  • rebeccajessup1973
    rebeccajessup1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used fitness pal off and on for a few years but have never looked at any of the message boards just interested to see what they are and if maybe it will help to motivate seeing others plans/ideas also.
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @canyonGeek Awww, hope you feel better soon! Take care of you!

Welcome to all the new posters. :smile:
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @canyonGeek Sorry to hear your not feeling well. I just came off a 3 1/2 week cold with all the side effects. I to dis not lose my appetite. Take good care of yourself.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’m dragging this week. Super sick. No exercise. Just trying not to eat too much. Of course, I’m one of the few that actually wants to eat more when I’m sick. It’s a comfort thing, I think : (

Me too! I am sick I want food comfort, always! Get better!
  • Birder165
    edited April 2018
    Options
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’m dragging this week. Super sick. No exercise. Just trying not to eat too much. Of course, I’m one of the few that actually wants to eat more when I’m sick. It’s a comfort thing, I think : (

Oh, that sucks that you're sick. I hope you feel better soon!
    I also can eat my share when I'm down with a cold. I can pretty much eat any time. lol
  • wibblywobblylotty
    wibblywobblylotty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’m Charlie, female, 36, Northamptonshire, UK & my journey starts today!
    First weigh in today 246
    GW 147 (so 99lbs to go!)
    First PT session at 6.15am (shoulders/arms/core)....our puppy, Stanley who is 5 1/2 months old almost peed on my head whilst I was planking.....I can see the funny side!
    Off to join the local fitness club tonight so I can start some classes, I used to love Kettlebells, Pilates, Bokwa & boxercise.....but let it all go over the last 4 years so need to get back to being fit, healthy and happy in my own skin :-)
    Here goes......
    X c