Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Hello Community, so many new faces eh! I have not been AF since my vacation started and ended. I drank every day and I havent been able to get back to AF after I returned. It actually makes me lethargic and sick to be drinking. I know I will get AF starting tomorrow, or try my best to be. Being AF for so long really made good things happen in my life. And I want to get back to that feeling. I am still stuck in that special place and I believe I got there because everything before led up to it.

Hey @NormInv I'm sorry you are having the vacation blues :( , but your pictures are stunning! For some reason, I decided to have a damp weekend :# so I will start with you today. <3<3<3

And I will join both of you.....
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I'm not good at this open communication about drinking (shame), but I really am trying. Thank you all for being here.

I have mine own shame, every time I come back to the thread to say I had a damp day or days. But I know its all good we all support everyone by not judging.
  • rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    jecky74 wrote: »
    Today is 7days AF. Haven’t done that in a long time. It was nice to have my Sunday evening. I normally look at Sunday like my “last chance” before the grind of the workweek and begin earlier in the day, then by 8 I’m sleepy and haven’t done half of what I wanted to get done. No alcohol this weekend at all and I got so much more done. Yay me.

I can totally relate to the "last chance" mindset. I would often take Sunday night as an opportunity to have a bottle of wine, and Monday mornings end up being much harder than they have to be!

This weekend, we got a big snow storm. I usually work Saturday nights, but my work was closed due to weather. Usually, I would enjoy the inclement weather with wine, but my husband and I ordered pizza and watched a movie instead. It was really nice and relaxing, and for the first time in a long time, I felt well-rested for work on a Monday morning.

This week, I don't have much going on socially, but I have three events next week that I know will be a challenge not to drink at. The first is a work dinner event, the second is a Norwex party (where a friend is hosting someone who sells Norwex at her home to go over what she sells... those things are generally unbearable without alcohol), and the third is a diaper keg on Saturday. I'll take all of the good vibes for strength in saying no. I wish they didn't all fall within days of one another!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was at Nordstrom Rack browsing. Not my fav store but I still went. I saw some cute wine glasses with monograms, and next to them was a large clear glass with the word "Sober" on it (it looked like a dictionary entry). So, I bent down to read what it said.

The glass etching said:
    "Sober" adj. This person is the opposite of playful or drunk. They are possessed of iron will, but often lack a sense of humor. Helpful with doing dishes, finding CD's and lifts home. In need of several stiff drinks!

I think I stood there looking like I just saw a ghost. First, it was such a ridiculous thing to put on a glass. Second, what was the point of it? Third, who would buy it? Fourth, Huh? I just don't get the humor.

Am I missing something? Is this a movie quote or reference? I seriously don't get it.

There is so much tacky drinking stuff out there. When I was flying back from Mexico last week I noticed all these T shirts with drinking slogans “I’m drinking about you” and yesterday I went to a Padres game and my sons little league team was there. The lady in charge was pretty sloppy drunk and had a t shirt that said “three up” and then three down with three glasses of wine on it. My husband said something that made her laugh and she leaned down and wiped her mouth on his shirt! Ick. Another funny story about this woman. She is definitely a party girl (she’s totally nice by the way) but last year we went to a baseball team dinner and I had a really bad cold. I only finished about one third of my beer and she kind of made fun of my for not finishing it. She’s like if you’re not drinking it..before I can say anything she picks it up and slams it back. I was trying to tell her don’t drink it I have a cold!! Well, sure enough a few days later at the next boys baseball game - she’s got terrible cold!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Did pretty good this week. A-F Mon-Wed and then 3 swallows of a hard seltzer on Thurs. Is that considered AF or not?
    Weekend moderation: 2 glasses of wine on Friday, 2 vodka and Cranberrys on Sat, and 1 glass of wine on Sun. I feel really good about it. I didn't want to go over my goals and I didn't. I was very meticulous about weighing and measuring the amount of alcohol as to not go over. I felt good in the mornings and my heart didn't upset my sleep in the nights.
    My only slip up was Thurs, but i'm happy with my best week yet. Happy Monday Ya'all!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,190 Member
    Options
    Food for thought for a Monday or Tuesday- about why we keep going back to drinking.
    https://youtu.be/9biW9TRg8U4
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    jecky74 wrote: »
    My daughter works with me and I had a particularly terrible afternoon today. When I left she said to me go home and have a drink and relax. I told her that I have been alcohol free for eight days and I didn’t want to break my streak. So now I’m home having a little bit of stress cry and drinking my flavored water. Is that more or less sad than crying into a beer? Anyway, I did resist that first drink so I will probably be fine but in the back my mind somewhere I can hear that little whispering voice saying one or two drinks later might be nice.

Stay strong! You are on a roll. You'll make it to ten days and then it gets easier. Sending you a big hug. Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    @andysport1 I highly recommend Alcohol Explained by William Porter. Also what Julie said, the stop drinking Expert on youtube. He tells it straight with no nonsense.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Food for thought for a Monday or Tuesday- about why we keep going back to drinking.
    https://youtu.be/9biW9TRg8U4

Amazing! Thank you for sharing this! One more week and it will be 3 months AF. It is pretty much insanity to forget what is was like to be horribly drinking like I was and still think of drinking most every day.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @salleewins Bravo! That is so wonderful. It sure isn't easy!
    I also think every day about having a glass of something. Today, I thought about it at work. But thankfully this evening, the urge is gone.
    I'm so happy for you! What are the benefits that you gained in the last three months?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Erik our philosophies are pretty compatible. I, also, have an allowance meal once a week and I try to limit my alcohol consumption to every other Sunday (the next one being the 22nd).

I know what my weight was a few weeks ago and I know how much I lost but I am focusing on how many years I have regressed weight-wise. So I started mid February and I have lost around 8 years. The next 5 years, my first major weight goal, will not be as easy.

I am experiencing a problem though. My last food allowance involved more beef and fat than normal and apparently I have been too good otherwise and it made me sick until a few hours ago (hopefully). So I have lost my alcohol and some of my bad food tolerance. Talk about backfire... yesterday I went over my normal by about 600 and today I have only been able to eat 600 all day.