Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm starting my first diet break today. Fingers crossed that is goes well. Kinda hard to get out of the diet mindset. I got 2195 for calories which looks like a whole lot. Good news is I had 4 Oreo ice cream sandwiches with dinner. Hoping to not fill all my extra calories with sweets. Any tips from those successful?

My main tip would be to think about how you envisage eating in life after weight loss, and do that. I ate pretty much the same things on diet breaks as when I'm at a deficit, just more. For me that was mostly adding more snacks, but you could do more snacks (including 'treat' foods you find hard to fit in to your weight loss calorie allowance), bigger meals, or a combination of both.

Also, expect to see a bit of a jump in scale weight initially. This is just replenished glycogen and additional food in your system. It should level out after a few days, then stay fairly steady (allowing for normal fluctuations). It will drop off again when you go back to a deficit.

Thanks so much. I'm a little scared and in awe. Never did a break before and a bit afraid. I've lost a bit over 30 lbs since Sept.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my first diet break today. Fingers crossed that is goes well. Kinda hard to get out of the diet mindset. I got 2195 for calories which looks like a whole lot. Good news is I had 4 Oreo ice cream sandwiches with dinner. Hoping to not fill all my extra calories with sweets. Any tips from those successful?

My main tip would be to think about how you envisage eating in life after weight loss, and do that. I ate pretty much the same things on diet breaks as when I'm at a deficit, just more. For me that was mostly adding more snacks, but you could do more snacks (including 'treat' foods you find hard to fit in to your weight loss calorie allowance), bigger meals, or a combination of both.

Also, expect to see a bit of a jump in scale weight initially. This is just replenished glycogen and additional food in your system. It should level out after a few days, then stay fairly steady (allowing for normal fluctuations). It will drop off again when you go back to a deficit.

Thanks so much. I'm a little scared and in awe. Never did a break before and a bit afraid. I've lost a bit over 30 lbs since Sept.

Perfectly normal to be a bit scared. You will be fine though, and we're all here to support you or answer any questions you may have as you go along. If you haven't already, have a quick skim of earlier posts in this thread and read the anecdotes from others who have done a break. You'll see that it's pretty common to be a bit nervous about it!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Any advice on breaking through a plateau?

Took a two week diet break at Christmas time. Went back to calorie restriction on Jan. 4th - 2200 calories to start. No losses - adjusted that to 2000. Still no significant loss. Started a 5/2 plan on March 2nd - 1800 calories weekdays and 2500 on weekends. Targets 30% carbs/40% fats/30% protein.

Weight has been in the 205/209 range for the last six weeks. Libra trend line has leveled out again. My diary is open.

What would you recommend to get weight loss started again?

Hmmm, normally I'd say 'do a diet break'! :D

If you weren't losing on the flat 2000 a day, changing to the 5/2 plan isn't going to change that, because it's the same deficit over the week.

In the interests of troubleshooting, are you:

- weighing and measuring all foods (your diary suggests you are, just checking)?
    - verifying database entries?

Have you:
    - increased, decreased, changed activity level or type in any way?

Anything else stressful happening that could cause cortisol-induced water retention that may be masking fat loss? How is your sleep?

What was your deficit before your last diet break, and what was your average weekly weight loss on that?

Have you adjusted cals in line with reduced weight?

It may be that you're eating at maintenance, or very close to it, and simply need to drop cals further. What are your stats (height, weight, activity etc)? How much more weight are you looking to lose?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I just saw this now, but given the one piece may or may not be accurately showing everything, It's a really rough estimate, but I'm going to say you may be around 35-36% bf, give or take a couple points. Navy calculator puts you at 42% but with only 2/3 data points to run, it's not going to be accurate either: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

There are other calculators online that include more points of measurement to be provide a more accurate reading, as well.

Hmm. That link adds to my confusion, I'm afraid. If I put in my measurements, I get a 56% bf for my current size *cringes* Not exactly a good showing, even after losing 100 lbs! If I use those numbers, I end up with a maintenance around 2300 (when I started my diet break, I was 267; within 2 days, I had popped up to 271 lbs and have stayed there pretty well with a little up and down fluctuation). I set my calories to 2500 for diet break, so apparently I've been eating a bit on the surplus side of things. Oh well - being in surplus is probably good for me, though.

Unfortunately, that means if I want to maintain the 2 lb loss per week, I'd have to drop to 1300 calories a day. I can tell you now, that ain't happening!

Now if someone would smash old man winter's alarm clock so he'd quit hitting the snooze button and got to sleep, or someone go find that groundhog and end our misery so that spring would finally get here, I might be able to get my sorry butt out and being more active! Might help with the severe depression symptoms I've been fighting lately, too - though the best remedy for that would be me being able to find a new job........
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Options

Perfectly normal to be a bit scared. You will be fine though, and we're all here to support you or answer any questions you may have as you go along. If you haven't already, have a quick skim of earlier posts in this thread and read the anecdotes from others who have done a break. You'll see that it's pretty common to be a bit nervous about it!

Thank you for the feed back and support. I've looked some but it's a lengthy thread and gets convoluted
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Thank you for the feed back and support. I've looked some but it's a lengthy thread and gets convoluted

Haha, yes, it is rather unweildy!! There's a decent number of anecdotes in the first probably 20 pages or so (interspersed with cats and puppies, general chit-chat, and me whining about eczema and allergies), so you probably don't need to struggle beyond about there. And of course Anubis did a wonderful summary of the basics when we revamped the OP to capture all that stuff :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

Took a two week diet break at Christmas time. Went back to calorie restriction on Jan. 4th - 2200 calories to start. No losses - adjusted that to 2000. Still no significant loss. Started a 5/2 plan on March 2nd - 1800 calories weekdays and 2500 on weekends. Targets 30% carbs/40% fats/30% protein.

Weight has been in the 205/209 range for the last six weeks. Libra trend line has leveled out again. My diary is open.

If you weren't losing on the flat 2000 a day, changing to the 5/2 plan isn't going to change that, because it's the same deficit over the week.

- weighing and measuring all foods (your diary suggests you are, just checking)?

Have you:

Anything else stressful happening that could cause cortisol-induced water retention that may be masking fat loss? How is your sleep?

What was your deficit before your last diet break, and what was your average weekly weight loss on that?

It may be that you're eating at maintenance, or very close to it, and simply need to drop cals further. What are your stats (height, weight, activity etc)? How much more weight are you looking to lose?

Yes - weighing and measuring everything when I am at home. Have not verified all database entries, but I do search out the ones that seem more accurate. Don't eat much food that I have not prepared myself (besides chocolate!).

Activity level is down a bit from last year. Working on bringing that back up.

Not much stress. Feel healthy - energy levels good - rarely actually hungry. I sleep well - around 6 hours most nights. I don't think water retention is an issue.

Was at 1550 calories before the December diet break. Lost 45 pounds from March to November - that would suggest an actual deficit around 500 calories per day. Several people suggested raising my daily target to 2300 after the break.

Male. 63. 5' 10" - current weight 205/209 - original target was 175 but I think I will be satisfied to maintain at 185. As noted above, activity is down some, but I am working on adding a couple of hours of workouts each week.

Thanks for your input.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

Have you:

Yes - weighing and measuring everything when I am at home. Have not verified all database entries, but I do search out the ones that seem more accurate. Don't eat much food that I have not prepared myself (besides chocolate!).

Not much stress. Feel healthy - energy levels good - rarely actually hungry. I sleep well - around 6 hours most nights. I don't think water retention is an issue.

Was at 1550 calories before the December diet break. Lost 45 pounds from March to November - that would suggest an actual deficit around 500 calories per day. Several people suggested raising my daily target to 2300 after the break.

Male. 63. 5' 10" - current weight 205/209 - original target was 175 but I think I will be satisfied to maintain at 185. As noted above, activity is down some, but I am working on adding a couple of hours of workouts each week.

Thanks for your input.

Ah yes, I remember those conversations around your TDEE now. I think, sad to say, having tried the higher cals, your TDEE appears to be lower than anticipated. Good to have tried it, but it's probably time to reduce cals a bit more and/or increase activity. I'd also look at ways to increase NEAT in addition to the additional workouts (and in fact you may be able to push your TDEE up enough with NEAT to not need the extra workouts, it's amazing how much difference incidental movement really makes).
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »

I want the same, I had been feeling hungry 10 days ago and struggling to keep to a deficit when I stumbled on this thread so decided to have a break/refeed. I was worried how would I react to having the extra calories but I stayed on track with the same meals just a little bit more/extra snacks and I really found it hard to eat that much as I felt really full. This has given me a massive boost that I will be able to eat at maintenance once at ideal weight which I had been a little worried about. Going back to a deficit today so hopefully I will be able to do so and with the hunger relieved.

Good luck on going back and however much weight you need to lose. Thanks for the in sight!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I wish I could get a DXA scan. I’m clueless as to what my body fat actually is.

My BMI is just within normal around 24.8. My waist-hip ratio is .69 and My waist height ratio .426. (So for a 50+ year old those ratios are darn good). I’m a pear or almost hourglass. Big thunderous thighs but 27 inch waist.

Strength training for 6 months (I can hardly call it lifting ‘heavy’ tho it is heavy for me). But 3 if those months I was still at a considerable deficit and losing quite a bit of weight.

Now that I’m more or less at maintenance I’m so confused. Not happy with how I look, but I’m almost in XS tops with huge hips that look even bigger next to my nice waist. Honestly I think my body just looks weird and I can’t find pants that flatter me.

Lol, I guess I can’t cater to vanity.

You can use visual images of estimated body fat percentages to get a rough estimate. Note that if you fall under a certain image, it's probably best to select the upper end of that range. Many people don't like to admit they carry more fat than they think.

Optionally, you could ask someone to estimate it for you. I've done it for a few people in this thread, and it's purely clinical, albeit unapologetic with the estimate.

Last option would be to get something like a Skulpt body fat analyzer. It's $99 on amazon, and while it's not a DXA, it is reusable and it's fairly more accurate than BIA scales or handheld monitors.

If you're at maintenance weight, but not visually satisfied, just continue to strength train and gradually increase the load. Heavy is always a relative term, so if it's heavy for you, then it's heavy. If you can do more weight, more reps, or more sets, or any combination of all of those, you are gaining an objective measure of strength which helps with muscle development and by extension, will produce a better body shape.

Thanks so much for your response! I had some troubles (now past) and missed this at the time.

I’m 53 yo, 27 waist and 39 inch hips. 5”3.75 inches tall. I figure about 28-29% fat? Oh yeah about 144 lb. I’m at maintenance now but at the very top top of my BMI normal range. If you think by these pics that I’m drastically over or underestimating my fat percentage do let me know.
    Pictures
    FYI I’ve lost a bit over 50 lb in the past calendar year and have a good deal of saggy skin (but it could be worse so no complaints). rrzagvxudjvt.jpego5uomuwdxwem.jpeg
    My current practice is to eat at maintenance (on a 5:2 IF plan) strength training 2-3 times a week (never on my light calorie days). (I do weights 2X one week and 3X the next). Ample cardio, walking (because I don’t drive) and swimming/hula hoop/mini trampoline for the fun of it —but never too extensive on cardio. I’m no cardio queen!

My goals are really to keep increasing muscle and strength as much as is feasible (I have some physical disabilities to contend with but as a newb to weights these are still pretty irrelevant) and if I go down in size/ improve my appearance that would be highly motivating and gratifying but as an old fart hardly my goal.

I just saw this now, but given the one piece may or may not be accurately showing everything, It's a really rough estimate, but I'm going to say you may be around 35-36% bf, give or take a couple points. Navy calculator puts you at 42% but with only 2/3 data points to run, it's not going to be accurate either: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

There are other calculators online that include more points of measurement to be provide a more accurate reading, as well.

The positive side is that almost anyone is capable of changing their shape given a proper lifting and dieting program. Just be consistent with your lifting and focus on progressively increasing the load (either weights, reps, or sets, or any combination of those), and you will see results over time. Since you may still be new to lifting, you're still prime to show results pretty damn quickly, say in 4-6 months time and take progress pics along the way, you should see changes.

The concept of "stimulate not annihilate" the muscles is enough give them a reason to adapt and change; meaning you don't have to aim for feeling sore all the time. I'm a proponent of using the minimum effective dose for almost everything; e.g. minimum effective weight/sets/reps for muscle stimulus and the minimum effective deficit to lose fat.

I’m doing something wrong then, cause navy calculator you linked to came up 27% not 42% when I entered my stats (thank you for link) so I’m just confused. No biggie, tho . (Female, 5’3, 144 lb, 27 waist, 39 hips, 13 neck. ). Thanks

Several good stats to track anyway - and 3 different readings for women.

The bigger the gap, either potentially more inaccurate, or you know full well some measured body part is just fine for you, but out of proportion compared to average - like many people have.

www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    "heybales wrote: »

The bigger the gap, either potentially more inaccurate, or you know full well some measured body part is just fine for you, but out of proportion compared to average - like many people have.

Thank you very much for that link, @heybales !

When I put my numbers into the calculator at that site, I get a wide range fro 41% to 60.5%, with the lowest being the Fit or Fat calculation and the highest being the navy man & women calculation. The woman only calculation was 42%, giving me an average of 47.9%.

I had estimated my BF to be somewhere between 45% and 50% and used the adapted formula values for those two numbers way back on page 194 to get a gestimated maintenance of 2500 calories for me, which I've been eating at for the last week and a half. I've been pretty steady in the weight range at that level. The link provided a few posts ago, however, estimated that I should have been around 2300, so I thought that maybe I was actually in surplus and might have bee slowly gaining. But the average of the 3 provided in your link puts me about where I was estimating myself to be, so perhaps I'm okay where I'm at after all!

A big problem for me, though, is all the extra skin (sorry for the TMI). It does make taking measurements difficult, especially in the abdomen area because I've lost the most there. How should one account for the extra skin when taking these measurements?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is difficult if not impossible to get around, because the statistical models the formula's are based on I'm doubtful would have included that.

Just saw MIB with kiddo - the scene where wife tells hubby his skin is lose and the bug pulls his face back tight - got a 3rd hand to minimize it with assist out of the way?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I wish I could get a DXA scan. I’m clueless as to what my body fat actually is.

My BMI is just within normal around 24.8. My waist-hip ratio is .69 and My waist height ratio .426. (So for a 50+ year old those ratios are darn good). I’m a pear or almost hourglass. Big thunderous thighs but 27 inch waist.

Strength training for 6 months (I can hardly call it lifting ‘heavy’ tho it is heavy for me). But 3 if those months I was still at a considerable deficit and losing quite a bit of weight.

Now that I’m more or less at maintenance I’m so confused. Not happy with how I look, but I’m almost in XS tops with huge hips that look even bigger next to my nice waist. Honestly I think my body just looks weird and I can’t find pants that flatter me.

Lol, I guess I can’t cater to vanity.

You can use visual images of estimated body fat percentages to get a rough estimate. Note that if you fall under a certain image, it's probably best to select the upper end of that range. Many people don't like to admit they carry more fat than they think.

Optionally, you could ask someone to estimate it for you. I've done it for a few people in this thread, and it's purely clinical, albeit unapologetic with the estimate.

Last option would be to get something like a Skulpt body fat analyzer. It's $99 on amazon, and while it's not a DXA, it is reusable and it's fairly more accurate than BIA scales or handheld monitors.

If you're at maintenance weight, but not visually satisfied, just continue to strength train and gradually increase the load. Heavy is always a relative term, so if it's heavy for you, then it's heavy. If you can do more weight, more reps, or more sets, or any combination of all of those, you are gaining an objective measure of strength which helps with muscle development and by extension, will produce a better body shape.

Thanks so much for your response! I had some troubles (now past) and missed this at the time.

I’m 53 yo, 27 waist and 39 inch hips. 5”3.75 inches tall. I figure about 28-29% fat? Oh yeah about 144 lb. I’m at maintenance now but at the very top top of my BMI normal range. If you think by these pics that I’m drastically over or underestimating my fat percentage do let me know.
    Pictures
    FYI I’ve lost a bit over 50 lb in the past calendar year and have a good deal of saggy skin (but it could be worse so no complaints). rrzagvxudjvt.jpego5uomuwdxwem.jpeg
    My current practice is to eat at maintenance (on a 5:2 IF plan) strength training 2-3 times a week (never on my light calorie days). (I do weights 2X one week and 3X the next). Ample cardio, walking (because I don’t drive) and swimming/hula hoop/mini trampoline for the fun of it —but never too extensive on cardio. I’m no cardio queen!

My goals are really to keep increasing muscle and strength as much as is feasible (I have some physical disabilities to contend with but as a newb to weights these are still pretty irrelevant) and if I go down in size/ improve my appearance that would be highly motivating and gratifying but as an old fart hardly my goal.

The positive side is that almost anyone is capable of changing their shape given a proper lifting and dieting program. Just be consistent with your lifting and focus on progressively increasing the load (either weights, reps, or sets, or any combination of those), and you will see results over time. Since you may still be new to lifting, you're still prime to show results pretty damn quickly, say in 4-6 months time and take progress pics along the way, you should see changes.

The concept of "stimulate not annihilate" the muscles is enough give them a reason to adapt and change; meaning you don't have to aim for feeling sore all the time. I'm a proponent of using the minimum effective dose for almost everything; e.g. minimum effective weight/sets/reps for muscle stimulus and the minimum effective deficit to lose fat.

I’m doing something wrong then, cause navy calculator you linked to came up 27% not 42% when I entered my stats (thank you for link) so I’m just confused. No biggie, tho . (Female, 5’3, 144 lb, 27 waist, 39 hips, 13 neck. ). Thanks

Thanks you both for the calculator links. As my scale weight becomes more and more irrelevant I like having other metrics to try to keep track of. I’m not fixated on them, but I like to see progression- lol.

And, quite frankly I was very curious. A DXA scan would not be in my budget anytime soon and I often see people confidently post their body fat percentage. Now, ignoring the one outlier calculated body fat percentage (Navy, women only, calculated an obviously incorrect 17% body fat) they are all within 1% and that is also what I estimated so I’m happy, if not confident, that is in the ballpark. And it is a healthy ballpark, so all is good!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just as another data point - I got a DXA scan in February. When I enter my stats in the various calculators I come up with this -
    27.83 - Navy #1
    26.13 - Navy #2
    18.5 Covert
    Average - 24.2 (compared with the 24.8 from the DXA)

Female, age 67, 5'3", 108 lbs. at time of DXA. I carry most of my fat around my middle.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

Have you:

Thanks for your input.

Ah yes, I remember those conversations around your TDEE now. I think, sad to say, having tried the higher cals, your TDEE appears to be lower than anticipated. Good to have tried it, but it's probably time to reduce cals a bit more and/or increase activity. I'd also look at ways to increase NEAT in addition to the additional workouts (and in fact you may be able to push your TDEE up enough with NEAT to not need the extra workouts, it's amazing how much difference incidental movement really makes).

Thanks, Nony. I don't usually mind being different, but why does my TDEE have to be so low? :s

I think I will try reducing calories to average 1700 per day. And work on ways to push up NEAT.

Any thoughts on eating more on weekends as opposed to eating at the same level every day?

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Have you:

Thanks for your input.

Thanks, Nony. I don't usually mind being different, but why does my TDEE have to be so low? :s

I think I will try reducing calories to average 1700 per day. And work on ways to push up NEAT.

Any thoughts on eating more on weekends as opposed to eating at the same level every day?

As a person with a very low actual TDEE compared to the calculated averages, I feel ya!

As for not eating the same level every day, that is the only thing that keeps me from being constantly hangry. Granted, I’m a bit on the extreme end ( 5:2 intermittent fast) but there is no reason why such calorie banking or cycling would hurt, or I haven’t found any. Logically, cycling calories might even improve leptin adaptations and glycogen stores, I would think. But I don’t have Lyle’s book yet so perhaps someone more informed could enlighten us?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just as another data point - I got a DXA scan in February. When I enter my stats in the various calculators I come up with this -
    27.83 - Navy #1
    26.13 - Navy #2
    18.5 Covert
    Average - 24.2 (compared with the 24.8 from the DXA)

Female, age 67, 5'3", 108 lbs. at time of DXA. I carry most of my fat around my middle.

It gave me an average of exactly what I personally eyeball estimate.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Have you:

Thanks for your input.

If 1700/d is your goal, then that is 11,900kcal/wk. However you would like to incorporate that into weekends is completely your choice, and as long as weekends don't result in explosive binge episodes.

Example: Say you undulated every other day with MWF at 1700kcal, and TR at 1300kcal, that allows you 4200kcal to be split over the weekend, so SSu could be 2100kcal both days (or however you want to split it) which still allows for you to be at 11,900kcal for the week.

Long running averages are more accurate as trends rather than focusing on acute daily intakes, which also mitigates daily fluctuations to account for food bulk, colon waste bulk, water, sodium, TOM, etc.

While our bodies aren't a completely closed system, it's still a bit of a numbers game, given that we can directly control when and what goes in. It's just up to our bodies to decide what goes out and when.

As far as TDEE is concerned, carrying less mass reduces how much our bodies need to work to generate force production. There have been some thoughts to wearing a weight vest equivalent to the amount of weight lost to mimic the amount of force needed when we were once heavier to increase TDEE. Not everyone wants to do that so instead, finding ways to move more in general are needed.

And just for added context, Aadam Ali also provides good insight: http://physiqonomics.com/8-reasons-calorie-deficit/