Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just as another data point - I got a DXA scan in February. When I enter my stats in the various calculators I come up with this -
    27.83 - Navy #1
    26.13 - Navy #2
    18.5 Covert
    Average - 24.2 (compared with the 24.8 from the DXA)

Female, age 67, 5'3", 108 lbs. at time of DXA. I carry most of my fat around my middle.

It gave me an average of exactly what I personally eyeball estimate.

Great eyeballs :wink:
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As, I have been following this, I am so glad to see all the success stories and different tactics and tips and tricks. I wanted to ask about multiple breaks due to multiple plateaus? I mentioned in my post about a break at 16 weeks in (plateau 1) and then a break at 23 weeks in (mini plateau and friends in town.) The first worked to get 8 pounds off then the second worked to get an additional 3 stubborn pounds off. Now I don't know the standard amount of time to wait to say I am in a plateau again. And I am not being impatient, nor have I declared I am in a 3rd plateau, but I do know how to listen to my body and I can tell it's about to happen again. Is it common place, when getting close to your goal/ the place where your body is comfortable, to hit yet another plateau only 3 pounds down from the second plateau? Is this where/ why the higher frequency of breaks comes in to play? Again, I am not making the declaration that I am in one, but my question is can they happen that frequently and should I go ahead and use a diet break again (the second and third break would be 4 weeks apart) to get through this one? Suggestions?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    At only four weeks apart, I think it's too soon to say that you're plateauing, and thus also too soon to say whether it's time for another diet break.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    As, I have been following this, I am so glad to see all the success stories and different tactics and tips and tricks. I wanted to ask about multiple breaks due to multiple plateaus? I mentioned in my post about a break at 16 weeks in (plateau 1) and then a break at 23 weeks in (mini plateau and friends in town.) The first worked to get 8 pounds off then the second worked to get an additional 3 stubborn pounds off. Now I don't know the standard amount of time to wait to say I am in a plateau again. And I am not being impatient, nor have I declared I am in a 3rd plateau, but I do know how to listen to my body and I can tell it's about to happen again. Is it common place, when getting close to your goal/ the place where your body is comfortable, to hit yet another plateau only 3 pounds down from the second plateau? Is this where/ why the higher frequency of breaks comes in to play? Again, I am not making the declaration that I am in one, but my question is can they happen that frequently and should I go ahead and use a diet break again (the second and third break would be 4 weeks apart) to get through this one? Suggestions?

I'm not one of the science brains around here, but I would be wary to use diet breaks as your primary way of combatting plateaus unless you're also very confident in your calorie tracking. I've been losing for 16 months now and the only times I've stopped losing weight for an extended period of time was due to tracking errors or purposeful maintenance eating. That isn't to say that there aren't very real benefits to diet breaks, but I do wonder if your breaks haven't led to a period of increased diligence that then drops away again.
  • collectingblues
    Options

I'm not one of the science brains around here, but I would be wary to use diet breaks as your primary way of combatting plateaus unless you're also very confident in your calorie tracking. I've been losing for 16 months now and the only times I've stopped losing weight for an extended period of time was due to tracking errors or purposeful maintenance eating. That isn't to say that there aren't very real benefits to diet breaks, but I do wonder if your breaks haven't led to a period of increased diligence that then drops away again.

Owning my like. I'm not a super-science brain, but a numbers person, and unless everything is 100 percent (well, 99.5%) accurate leading to the plateau, I think it's a rash leap to jump to "I must need a diet break right now to break this".

It's similar to my stance on weight loss and hypothyroid. Don't jump to blaming the hormones until you are absolutely positively *sure* that user error is not a factor.
  • jillstreett
    Options

Owning my like. I'm not a super-science brain, but a numbers person, and unless everything is 100 percent (well, 99.5%) accurate leading to the plateau, I think it's a rash leap to jump to "I must need a diet break right now to break this".

It's similar to my stance on weight loss and hypothyroid. Don't jump to blaming the hormones until you are absolutely positively *sure* that user error is not a factor.

Funny you bring up the thyriod...mines been tested 12 times....nothing wrong, but different doctors insisting on tests over 29 years. 12 times. But I never let myself blame my weight on it growing up or now because I went the other way and didn't want anything medically "wrong" with me. I agree with don't jump the break, I really do, because had I not had friends coming into town, I wouldn't have even taken the second one, I didn't really want to. I was just asking about the frequency because they work for me. Not because I really want a break, not because I feel deprived, but because I know it works. Also, since the second break, I went back to basics from the very beginning of this journey. The basics that work(ed). Same foods, same measuring, same concept with one less snack to account for the TDEE difference since losing 25 pounds. So I am 99% confident in my tracking and using the deficit appropriate for my new lower weight. I will admit that I am being impatient since I am 4 pounds from my goal, but as a general concept, for my knowledge if I choose to lose more after meeting goal 1, that's why I'm asking? :smile:
  • collectingblues
    Options

Funny you bring up the thyriod...mines been tested 12 times....nothing wrong, but different doctors insisting on tests over 29 years. 12 times. But I never let myself blame my weight on it growing up or now because I went the other way and didn't want anything medically "wrong" with me. I agree with don't jump the break, I really do, because had I not had friends coming into town, I wouldn't have even taken the second one, I didn't really want to. I was just asking about the frequency because they work for me. Not because I really want a break, not because I feel deprived, but because I know it works. Also, since the second break, I went back to basics from the very beginning of this journey. The basics that work(ed). Same foods, same measuring, same concept with one less snack to account for the TDEE difference since losing 25 pounds. So I am 99% confident in my tracking and using the deficit appropriate for my new lower weight. I will admit that I am being impatient since I am 4 pounds from my goal, but as a general concept, for my knowledge if I choose to lose more after meeting goal 1, that's why I'm asking? :smile:

Are you weighing your food, or just using cups/tablespoons/etc? As you get closer to goal, you don't have the buffer against less-than-perfect tracking that you had back when you had 25 pounds to lose.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Ah yes, I remember those conversations around your TDEE now. I think, sad to say, having tried the higher cals, your TDEE appears to be lower than anticipated. Good to have tried it, but it's probably time to reduce cals a bit more and/or increase activity. I'd also look at ways to increase NEAT in addition to the additional workouts (and in fact you may be able to push your TDEE up enough with NEAT to not need the extra workouts, it's amazing how much difference incidental movement really makes).

Thanks, Nony. I don't usually mind being different, but why does my TDEE have to be so low? :s

I think I will try reducing calories to average 1700 per day. And work on ways to push up NEAT.

Any thoughts on eating more on weekends as opposed to eating at the same level every day?

As a person with a very low actual TDEE compared to the calculated averages, I feel ya!

As for not eating the same level every day, that is the only thing that keeps me from being constantly hangry. Granted, I’m a bit on the extreme end ( 5:2 intermittent fast) but there is no reason why such calorie banking or cycling would hurt, or I haven’t found any. Logically, cycling calories might even improve leptin adaptations and glycogen stores, I would think. But I don’t have Lyle’s book yet so perhaps someone more informed could enlighten us?

Good to know I'm not the only one, @ryenday. I actually like my current plan of eating less on weekdays and more on weekends. Allows for the occasional adult beverage on the weekend. So I will think I will stay with that using a reduced calorie level for the week.

I've done intermittent fasting on a 16:8 schedule, and I helped me moderate calorie intake. I have started eating in the morning sometimes after workouts. Usually a protein hit of some sort. I don't think it matters for me as long as I log all the calories.

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Ah yes, I remember those conversations around your TDEE now. I think, sad to say, having tried the higher cals, your TDEE appears to be lower than anticipated. Good to have tried it, but it's probably time to reduce cals a bit more and/or increase activity. I'd also look at ways to increase NEAT in addition to the additional workouts (and in fact you may be able to push your TDEE up enough with NEAT to not need the extra workouts, it's amazing how much difference incidental movement really makes).

Thanks, Nony. I don't usually mind being different, but why does my TDEE have to be so low? :s

I think I will try reducing calories to average 1700 per day. And work on ways to push up NEAT.

Any thoughts on eating more on weekends as opposed to eating at the same level every day?

As a person with a very low actual TDEE compared to the calculated averages, I feel ya!

As for not eating the same level every day, that is the only thing that keeps me from being constantly hangry. Granted, I’m a bit on the extreme end ( 5:2 intermittent fast) but there is no reason why such calorie banking or cycling would hurt, or I haven’t found any. Logically, cycling calories might even improve leptin adaptations and glycogen stores, I would think. But I don’t have Lyle’s book yet so perhaps someone more informed could enlighten us?

Good to know I'm not the only one, @ryenday. I actually like my current plan of eating less on weekdays and more on weekends. Allows for the occasional adult beverage on the weekend. So I will think I will stay with that using a reduced calorie level for the week.

I've done intermittent fasting on a 16:8 schedule, and I helped me moderate calorie intake. I have started eating in the morning sometimes after workouts. Usually a protein hit of some sort. I don't think it matters for me as long as I log all the calories.

Two days a week I eat approximately 650 cal.: 500 cal as the diet actually calls for, and an extra protein shake because I can’t get much protein in that 500 cal! That gives me 1500 to 2000 ‘extra’ calories a week. Sometimes I use an extra 300 every day, sometimes I bank them all for a weekend event.

I find the 5:2 diet very sustainable, where I found calorie restriction on a daily basis intolerable. Even my maintenance level of 1350-ish calories a day left me hungry, angry and unsatisfied constantly. I’m much happier cycling my calorie intake, and 5:2 works with my life and schedule.The two “fast” days are difficult but knowing that I will not have to continue to do it day in and day out is what makes all the difference mentally and appetite-wise for me personally.

Disclaimer: I am not touting or recommending the 5:2 diet to anyone. It worked wonderfully for me, and is the foundation of my maintenance and recomp plan - But I doubt it is for just anyone.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

If 1700/d is your goal, then that is 11,900kcal/wk. However you would like to incorporate that into weekends is completely your choice, and as long as weekends don't result in explosive binge episodes.

Example: Say you undulated every other day with MWF at 1700kcal, and TR at 1300kcal, that allows you 4200kcal to be split over the weekend, so SSu could be 2100kcal both days (or however you want to split it) which still allows for you to be at 11,900kcal for the week.

Long running averages are more accurate as trends rather than focusing on acute daily intakes, which also mitigates daily fluctuations to account for food bulk, colon waste bulk, water, sodium, TOM, etc.

While our bodies aren't a completely closed system, it's still a bit of a numbers game, given that we can directly control when and what goes in. It's just up to our bodies to decide what goes out and when.

As far as TDEE is concerned, carrying less mass reduces how much our bodies need to work to generate force production. There have been some thoughts to wearing a weight vest equivalent to the amount of weight lost to mimic the amount of force needed when we were once heavier to increase TDEE. Not everyone wants to do that so instead, finding ways to move more in general are needed.

And just for added context, Aadam Ali also provides good insight: http://physiqonomics.com/8-reasons-calorie-deficit/

Thanks for your input. I'm going to stay on my current schedule and just reduce calorie totals. I don't do well with those 1300 calorie days. I may try it later if this reduction is not successful.

Interesting that you mention weight vests - I was eyeing them in the gym this morning. I think I will give that a try in the future.

Read the Aadam Ali article - some good points there.

Thank you, @Nony_Mouse and @anubis609! You guys are the aces!

• alteredsteve175
    Options

Two days a week I eat approximately 650 cal.: 500 cal as the diet actually calls for, and an extra protein shake because I can’t get much protein in that 500 cal! That gives me 1500 to 2000 ‘extra’ calories a week. Sometimes I use an extra 300 every day, sometimes I bank them all for a weekend event.

I find the 5:2 diet very sustainable, where I found calorie restriction on a daily basis intolerable. Even my maintenance level of 1350-ish calories a day left me hungry, angry and unsatisfied constantly. I’m much happier cycling my calorie intake, and 5:2 works with my life and schedule.The two “fast” days are difficult but knowing that I will not have to continue to do it day in and day out is what makes all the difference mentally and appetite-wise for me personally.

Disclaimer: I am not touting or recommending the 5:2 diet to anyone. It worked wonderfully for me, and is the foundation of my maintenance and recomp plan - But I doubt it is for just anyone.

I will keep that in mind. Tried something similar once, before I tried intermittent fasting. I didn't like it. IF did teach me to work through periods without eating. I might do better with it now. Thanks for your input.
  • jillstreett
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If taking an aggressive deficit for amount left to be lost to healthy weight, then even more frequent diet breaks may be only way to get around body's reaction.

Or take a more reasonable deficit for longer. For 4 lbs left - 250 cal deficit is reasonable. 1/2 lb weekly.

But also potentially more difficult because too easy to wipe that out and be eating at maintenance from estimating errors.

Several ways around this though.

Take what appears to be a good TDEE estimate - and take 500 cal deficit on just 4 days out of a week. TDEE on 3 days.
    That's 2000 cal weekly deficit, and while more than 1/2 lb @ 1750, should account for logging errors.

The 5:2 method provides a 22% deficit, but 5 days at TDEE, 2 days at 25% of TDEE. If you can find 2 good days with enough space, not days after lifting, ect.

Or a whole week at 500 daily deficit, whole week at TDEE. Alternate until gone.

And keep resistance training, and before the 4 lbs is gone (who is seeing your scale exactly besides you?) you may appear like you already lost it to anyone looking.
    heybales wrote: »
    If taking an aggressive deficit for amount left to be lost to healthy weight, then even more frequent diet breaks may be only way to get around body's reaction.

Or take a more reasonable deficit for longer. For 4 lbs left - 250 cal deficit is reasonable. 1/2 lb weekly.

But also potentially more difficult because too easy to wipe that out and be eating at maintenance from estimating errors.

Several ways around this though.

Take what appears to be a good TDEE estimate - and take 500 cal deficit on just 4 days out of a week. TDEE on 3 days.
    That's 2000 cal weekly deficit, and while more than 1/2 lb @ 1750, should account for logging errors.

The 5:2 method provides a 22% deficit, but 5 days at TDEE, 2 days at 25% of TDEE. If you can find 2 good days with enough space, not days after lifting, ect.

Or a whole week at 500 daily deficit, whole week at TDEE. Alternate until gone.

And keep resistance training, and before the 4 lbs is gone (who is seeing your scale exactly besides you?) you may appear like you already lost it to anyone looking.

Thank you for these options. Like I mentioned I don't need a diet break for satisfaction or for any reason other than the thought that they work. I like the idea of TDEE 3 days and deficit on the other 4. I actually did that sort of calorie cycling at the beginning and liked it. I didn't go back to it simply because I wasn't hungry enough to up intake some days. But also, when I did it at the beginning I was at a deficit of at least 250 each day so to account for error, as you mention. Then some days were -750 and others were -500. I can definitely do this option and maybe one of the others later on.... I do not use a food scale, but I try to round up for error on anything that is not veggies or lean meats.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

If 1700/d is your goal, then that is 11,900kcal/wk. However you would like to incorporate that into weekends is completely your choice, and as long as weekends don't result in explosive binge episodes.

Example: Say you undulated every other day with MWF at 1700kcal, and TR at 1300kcal, that allows you 4200kcal to be split over the weekend, so SSu could be 2100kcal both days (or however you want to split it) which still allows for you to be at 11,900kcal for the week.

Long running averages are more accurate as trends rather than focusing on acute daily intakes, which also mitigates daily fluctuations to account for food bulk, colon waste bulk, water, sodium, TOM, etc.

While our bodies aren't a completely closed system, it's still a bit of a numbers game, given that we can directly control when and what goes in. It's just up to our bodies to decide what goes out and when.

As far as TDEE is concerned, carrying less mass reduces how much our bodies need to work to generate force production. There have been some thoughts to wearing a weight vest equivalent to the amount of weight lost to mimic the amount of force needed when we were once heavier to increase TDEE. Not everyone wants to do that so instead, finding ways to move more in general are needed.

And just for added context, Aadam Ali also provides good insight: http://physiqonomics.com/8-reasons-calorie-deficit/

Thanks for your input. I'm going to stay on my current schedule and just reduce calorie totals. I don't do well with those 1300 calorie days. I may try it later if this reduction is not successful.

Interesting that you mention weight vests - I was eyeing them in the gym this morning. I think I will give that a try in the future.

Read the Aadam Ali article - some good points there.

Thank you, @Nony_Mouse and @anubis609! You guys are the aces!

You're welcome. The 1300kcal days were just an arbitrary number used to allow for more weekend calories. However you want to structure it is entirely up to you. On that vein, if 1700 calories are considered an aggressive deficit, you could use the weekend calories to free up the aggression, and still be in an overall moderate to relaxed deficit. As long as the net total is a deficit, you will lose fat over time.

@jillstreett - The typical structure for seasoned dieters (physique compeitors) who understand their weight timing will start with a moderate deficit and reduce total calories by about 5-10% a week before their predicted plateau period, and continue the weight loss trend in an almost linear fashion like clockwork. Mind you, that's years of experience in periods of bulking and cutting being taken into account, but it's possible to beat the trend of plateaus.

There is always going to be a bottom to that deficit where continually slashing calories is no longer feasible, and so a diet break is implemented once that minimally acceptable amount of calories is hit. At their leanest, this is where the concept of more frequent diet breaks and refeeds begins. The deficit exists in single digit percentages because the body will fight back to maintain itself for survival. And this is why the last few pounds to goal are that much harder to achieve in a reasonable time frame. I mean, you could white knuckle it, but it does more harm than good.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I plan on taking a 2 week diet break. Because of this, I don't really have the time to slowly increase cals over time - is there a benefit or detriment to going straight from cutting cals to maintenance cals - aside from the obvious joy of more foods lol