What counts as clean eating?

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12
    You don't see the word "good" in there and I basically said I didn't know what it was. How could I possible endorse something I don't understand?

If you are sitting in a dark room and you need to get to the light you have to take a step. Is the step in the right direction? I don't know because it is your room. Starting to think about changing lifestyles is a step whether or not it is in the wrong direction is mostly up to the person who needs to get to the light.

Again, I am not smart enough to know what will work for other people. I am not going to promote or dismiss a path to a healthier life because I am not on it unless I think it is dangerous. If the path is WW, Slimfast, WFPB, whatever clean is, it is up to the person choosing to see if it works for them. The only thing I really know about clean is that you don't like it and to be honest I skimmed some of the posts explaining why because I couldn't figure out why you were typing at me so much.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Is there dirty eating?

Yes, but it involves eating dirt. A popular recipe is mud pie.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Is there dirty eating?

Would it be clean if the dirt was organic? There's nutrients in soil...
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Is there dirty eating?

Would it be clean if the dirt was organic? There's nutrients in soil...

No. It would only be clean dirty eating if the soil has not been processed by worms but then you are cutting off major protein and making the diet much harder than it needs to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are sitting in a dark room and you need to get to the light you have to take a step. Is the step in the right direction? I don't know because it is your room. Starting to think about changing lifestyles is a step whether or not it is in the wrong direction is mostly up to the person who needs to get to the light.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this conversation at all, but I guess it doesn't matter. I don't perceive OP (or anyone else) to be "sitting in a dark room," and if someone asks a question I will answer it to the best of my ability (although in this case I basically missed the part of the conversation where people were explaining what "clean eating" is, or in fact that it lacks any consistent or meaningful definition). I don't think answering a question is telling someone what will work for them.

If someone asks me if they need to eat clean to eat healthy, I will say no, that "eating clean" doesn't mean anything in particular and that healthy eating (IMO) is more about what you do eat (getting in lots of nutrient dense foods in
    a decent variety) than worrying about whether foods are processed or not. For me, it's a matter of basic respect to assume that everyone here is smart enough to be able to understand basic nutrition and doesn't need the crutch of a fad diet or someone else giving them overly simplistic instructions about how to eat (NO processed food). I don't perceive that negatively at all. If OP listens to all the opinions and then says "I'm going to do clean eating because all processed foods -- even smoked salmon and dried pasta -- are evil" or some such -- which of course she did not -- then of course I shrug my shoulders and she does what she does. I don't think "clean eating" is harmful, just that it's kind of pointless and teaches a misunderstanding of nutrition. But I also don't think expressing my own views of clean eating (especially in response to a question) is somehow negative, and I don't think it forces anyone to do anything, why would it? People say stuff on this board all the time I ignore.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, clean eating correlates with the amount of additives that are not naturally found in the product, cannot be found in nature in that form, and are added by humans/factory. It has nothing to do with "processing" or altering the state of the ingredient. It also has nothing to do with sugar or fat. For example, pure sugar, olive oil and milk are all "clean foods," in my book. Other foods like bread, cookies, yogurt, soup, crackers, meats, juice have the potential to go either way, depending on what has been added.

This is just my view on it, and I agree that "clean eating" doesn't have an exact definition.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this has to do with this conversation at all, but I guess it doesn't matter. I don't perceive OP (or anyone else) to be "sitting in a dark room,"

You have to take it in context and I wasn't referring to the OP in my initial statement or a bit ago. It was general in both cases because the OP seemed to have written us off by then so why keep making things about her?

I really don't know what else you wrote. It has just been entirely too much and I have lost all interest in whatever clean is and why you are devoting so much effort typing about it. If lives were in danger a mod would have closed this thread by now. That is good enough for me to believe it is not going to permanently damage anyone.

I hope this does not taint any future interactions we may have in other threads that are not about clean eating.

I will not reply further to you on this subject in this thread. Peace.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you feel that way, I'd advise against becoming worked up on a message board. I don't like being worked up on message boards myself.

Do you perceive those discussing it here to be "worked up" though?

I don't think either of us is worked up. I can't speak for Lemur who keeps typing these really long posts about my supposed transgressions.

When/if you get to know her better, you'll see that longer posts are more typical for her. She strikes me as a thoughtful person who likes to "think" things out in text form, stating things more completely in an attempt to come to a better understanding with the person she's conversing with. I wouldn't take the length of her post as a sign that she is "worked up."

Instead of thinking of this as a place where you are being accused of transgressions or that this is somehow contentious, what if you approached this as a chance for the two of you to learn more about what the other thinks? I honestly think that is what lemurcat12 is trying to do here, get a better idea of what you think and sharing her thoughts in return.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    When/if you get to know her better, you'll see that longer posts are more typical for her. She strikes me as a thoughtful person who likes to "think" things out in text form, stating things more completely in an attempt to come to a better understanding with the person she's conversing with. I wouldn't take the length of her post as a sign that she is "worked up."

Instead of thinking of this as a place where you are being accused of transgressions or that this is somehow contentious, what if you approached this as a chance for the two of you to learn more about what the other thinks? I honestly think that is what lemurcat12 is trying to do here, get a better idea of what you think and sharing her thoughts in return.

I am sure you are right. These things kind of work themselves out in the wash given time. You can't rely on first impressions on a message board which is why I am waiting for some other interaction on some other subject. I have been on various message boards for a very long time and in my experience people that tear apart your posts into sections and then type and type tend to take themselves too seriously. I find that makes it hard for me to take them seriously. That was my first impression but I am completely open to being wrong. Thanks for your input.

I don't think I've said "welcome" yet, but welcome to the forums and I hope you stick around!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I am sure you are right. These things kind of work themselves out in the wash given time. You can't rely on first impressions on a message board which is why I am waiting for some other interaction on some other subject. I have been on various message boards for a very long time and in my experience people that tear apart your posts into sections and then type and type tend to take themselves too seriously. I find that makes it hard for me to take them seriously. That was my first impression but I am completely open to being wrong. Thanks for your input.

Or she's smart and types fast. :smile:
  • NovusDies
    Options

I don't think I've said "welcome" yet, but welcome to the forums and I hope you stick around!

Thanks for the welcome. I am still getting the lay of the land but I kind of like it here.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eating food without dirt on it
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why?

Improving the nutritional content of your diet is a start. Reducing calories, especially from low nutrient foods, is a start. Eating vegetables, if you don't much, is a start. Why is it meaningful or a step for someone to start worrying about processing rather than learning about nutrition (which is really not that complicated and most likely know what a healthy diet is without all this clean nonsense)? Why is it a step for someone to make a big thing about how their diet is "clean." That's a distraction from understanding how nutrition works, IMO, and usually just a way to claim that your diet is somehow better than others (even though processed foods aren't inherently bad, many are nutritionally dense and make things easier for some).

Not everyone is going to wake up one day and just get it. I certainly didn't. I made many of the classic mistakes. Sure they delayed my progress but I did finally figure it out. This isn't Star Trek and we can't mind meld good eating habits into people. My point was a step away from nothing towards something shows at least someone might be open to change even if that change starts kind of ridiculous. Again, not saying the "Clean Diet" is ridiculous I still know next to nothing about it.

Besides, there is no reason to be mad at what someone else is doing. It has nothing to do with you and your journey, wherever you might be in it. If the "Clean" people annoy you ignore them.

For many long-term posters, I think it is less being "annoyed" than feeling empathy and concern for the people who are spending time and energy adopting habits that aren't really relevant to weight loss/sustainable weight management. To speak just for myself, I'm not annoyed with clean eaters, I just wish I could have back all the time I spent in my 20s doing things like detoxing and clean eating and eliminating certain foods when all I needed was a calorie deficit. If others can save that wasted time and effort, I'd love to play a part in that.

I am annoyed by clean eaters because they have really taken over the whole internet discussion about dieting and nutrition, usually with little to no scientific basis to back any of their claims, and are endlessly preachy and unbearably superior acting towards those of us who just eat normal food without bothering with their bizarro food rules.

I like making them really mad though by pointing out that I have achieved massive weight loss while ignoring everything they say and just counting calories long term. lol

I like you.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Why?

Improving the nutritional content of your diet is a start. Reducing calories, especially from low nutrient foods, is a start. Eating vegetables, if you don't much, is a start. Why is it meaningful or a step for someone to start worrying about processing rather than learning about nutrition (which is really not that complicated and most likely know what a healthy diet is without all this clean nonsense)? Why is it a step for someone to make a big thing about how their diet is "clean." That's a distraction from understanding how nutrition works, IMO, and usually just a way to claim that your diet is somehow better than others (even though processed foods aren't inherently bad, many are nutritionally dense and make things easier for some).

Not everyone is going to wake up one day and just get it. I certainly didn't. I made many of the classic mistakes. Sure they delayed my progress but I did finally figure it out. This isn't Star Trek and we can't mind meld good eating habits into people. My point was a step away from nothing towards something shows at least someone might be open to change even if that change starts kind of ridiculous. Again, not saying the "Clean Diet" is ridiculous I still know next to nothing about it.

Besides, there is no reason to be mad at what someone else is doing. It has nothing to do with you and your journey, wherever you might be in it. If the "Clean" people annoy you ignore them.

For many long-term posters, I think it is less being "annoyed" than feeling empathy and concern for the people who are spending time and energy adopting habits that aren't really relevant to weight loss/sustainable weight management. To speak just for myself, I'm not annoyed with clean eaters, I just wish I could have back all the time I spent in my 20s doing things like detoxing and clean eating and eliminating certain foods when all I needed was a calorie deficit. If others can save that wasted time and effort, I'd love to play a part in that.

I am annoyed by clean eaters because they have really taken over the whole internet discussion about dieting and nutrition, usually with little to no scientific basis to back any of their claims, and are endlessly preachy and unbearably superior acting towards those of us who just eat normal food without bothering with their bizarro food rules.

I like making them really mad though by pointing out that I have achieved massive weight loss while ignoring everything they say and just counting calories long term. lol

I have no problem with someone being annoyed by "clean eaters," (be annoyed by whatever genuinely annoys you!) I was just saying I didn't think anyone had seemed that annoyed *at that point in the thread*.