Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Is this a good barbell to start off with? I want to move on to stronglifts but I've seen a bunch of different barbells I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something in particular.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/US-Weight-55-lbs-Aerobic-Weight-Set/2171148

Look for a 45lb olympic barbell. You need a squat rack.

This barbell and weights is good for "exercising" but not for a strength program.

can I go without the squat rack or use something else that wont take up so much space?

You're going to be up to 100 lbs + before you know it. You gonna press that over your head?

This, for me, would be the downside to a squat rack at home. I don't have the ceiling space to do an overhead press. I figure I'd need 10' ceilings.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Is this a good barbell to start off with? I want to move on to stronglifts but I've seen a bunch of different barbells I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something in particular.

This barbell and weights is good for "exercising" but not for a strength program.

can I go without the squat rack or use something else that wont take up so much space?

Google "squat rack stands."
    I know what a squat rack stand is, I just wanted to know if it was really that important particularly for a beginner like myself, I thought it was for lifting very heavy.

I guess I will either not do barbell squats or opted out of buying a barbell all together

A squat rack stand (and full rack) is mainly a SAFETY device.

A squat rack stand would be suitable for lower weights (I'd guess around 250) but should labeled with specific weight rating.

They make it easier to place the bar on (and get it off) your shoulders but the safety arms on the rack (if positioned properly) prevent the bar from pinning you to the ground and injuring you, if you fail doing a squat.

If you are going to do bad squats w/a barbell, you should get a pair or join a gym and use the rack there for your own safety.

You're going to be up to 100 lbs + before you know it. You gonna press that over your head?

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm going to have to stick with dumbbells for now.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I know what a squat rack stand is, I just wanted to know if it was really that important particularly for a beginner like myself, I thought it was for lifting very heavy.

I guess I will either not do barbell squats or opted out of buying a barbell all together

A squat rack stand would be suitable for lower weights (I'd guess around 250) but should labeled with specific weight rating.

They make it easier to place the bar on (and get it off) your shoulders but the safety arms on the rack (if positioned properly) prevent the bar from pinning you to the ground and injuring you, if you fail doing a squat.

If you are going to do bad squats w/a barbell, you should get a pair or join a gym and use the rack there for your own safety.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm going to have to stick with dumbbells for now.

I have barbells and plates, no squat rack or stands. I would love one but I don't have the space for it right now. I don't do heavy back squats as a result. However.. I do deadlifts, hip thrusts, overhead press, rows, I also do Zercher squats (I deadlift the weight up then scoop it under my arms and squat). This may not work for everyone and their goals obviously, but it has worked very well for me.

Do you follow a program or are you just doing your own thing?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I have barbells and plates, no squat rack or stands. I would love one but I don't have the space for it right now. I don't do heavy back squats as a result. However.. I do deadlifts, hip thrusts, overhead press, rows, I also do Zercher squats (I deadlift the weight up then scoop it under my arms and squat). This may not work for everyone and their goals obviously, but it has worked very well for me.

Do you follow a program or are you just doing your own thing?

I follow a program similar to Strong Curves. Very easy to modify for people who don't have access to all the equipment.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is correct place to ask this ...Does anyone know if there is a proven program that works legs with glutes focus 3x a week and upper body 2x a week ? I've been lifting for a year now on my own and writing my own program. (Based on a free training session with PT when I joined gym ((which I realize now is a bro split))and IG and YouTube and a couple books I read.) From browsing the list here it looks like program I currently do is a mixture from Brett Conteas (3xa week) and and "bro" split days for back, bicep day, and a shoulder, chest, triceps day. Squat 160lb, DL 205lb, bench 95lb (on a good day) four unassisted pull ups, three chin ups, hip thrust 360. 5'8" 143lbs. Thanks. Goal: keep building strength and curves, but not hurt myself, and not get huge arms.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    @flowerhorsey this is exactly what I do. I'll post my workout on your wall.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options

Thank you :)
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    I don't know if this is correct place to ask this ...Does anyone know if there is a proven program that works legs with glutes focus 3x a week and upper body 2x a week ? I've been lifting for a year now on my own and writing my own program. (Based on a free training session with PT when I joined gym ((which I realize now is a bro split))and IG and YouTube and a couple books I read.) From browsing the list here it looks like program I currently do is a mixture from Brett Conteas (3xa week) and and "bro" split days for back, bicep day, and a shoulder, chest, triceps day. Squat 160lb, DL 205lb, bench 95lb (on a good day) four unassisted pull ups, three chin ups, hip thrust 360. 5'8" 143lbs. Thanks. Goal: keep building strength and curves, but not hurt myself, and not get huge arms.

Bret Contreras has this posted in this link (https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-design-an-optimal-glute-training-program/ ) if you go to the bodypart split he separates it as follows:

Day 1: Glutes
    Day 2: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    Day 3: Quads/Glutes
    Day 4: Back/Rear delts/Bis
    Day 5: Hams/Glutes

I've used it as a template before and swapped out the exercises

Thank you :) I will check this out!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I would love to know the routine as well please.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Feel free to post it. Maybe ill post mine too.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Okay, here goes. I do Wendler's 531 for the primary lifts and then have higher, more hypertrophy-targeted ranges for the supplementary lifts.

Mon: Conventional deads, front squats, pull ups, leg extensions, seated rows

Tue: Bench, DB OHP, flys, upright rows, DB curls, triceps push downs

Wed: Cleans, abduction, adduction, hip thrusts, sumo deads, leg press, curtsey squats

Thur: OHP, DB incline bench, reverse flys, DB single arm floor press, BB curls

Fri: Back squats, BB rows, lunges, lat pulldowns, RDL
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Attached is my workout program if anyone is interested. It's a 4 day PHUL style workout. I "deload" after every 6 week session. My deloads are actually just Bro weeks. A bro week is just going to the gym and doing whatever you want to do. I still maintain some structure to my bro weeks where I will hit each body part evenly (i.e., hams, quads, glutes).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X-0SwJt5Vh7QGvLlkp3wdbxfiHIeCCfWJk1gd2vFs7s/edit?usp=sharing

There is some basic analysis on my file. It adds total volume and compares volume over 6 week periods. Each mesocycle is 18 weeks (3 mini cycles = 1 meso cycle).
  • psuLemon
    Options

Okay, here goes. I do Wendler's 531 for the primary lifts and then have higher, more hypertrophy-targeted ranges for the supplementary lifts.

Wed: Cleans, abduction, adduction, hip thrusts, sumo deads, leg press, curtsey squats

Nice.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited April 2018
    Options

Nice.

We're doing a lot of the same lifts, it looks like.
  • livelifelift
    livelifelift Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all .. looking forward to reading the thread!