why don't you log?

Options

Replies

• justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Counting calories messes me up. I like to have a vague idea and if I’m feeling heavy, I’ll actually log to make sure I’m eating right and getting the right amount of calories and macros. But I don’t want to give people the chance to bring me down from my personal progress. People in my actual life see and know how I eat and workout.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    i understand why people don't log (and/or) make their diaries private - but at the same time, you have multiple people daily posting threads about their inability to lose weight and not logging/private diary - makes it hard for anyone to help them identify issues - so its kind of a double edged sword

Then just ask the people requesting help to open his/her diary to see what the problem is, and maybe offer solutions. The rest of us can keep it private.

Not sayin by you have to open yours...I’m saying that if ppl want help then logging and an open diary is one of the few ways to do it - so it’s something to consider
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I think you're confusing terms maybe? Logging isn't letting other people see your food diary.

@kimny72 I think you’re right, I guess it doesn’t matter if your diary is open or not. It’s weird because my diary looks pretty much the same every day/week, so I could probably not even log because it’s the same thing pretty much the same day, but I have started to really enjoy it, I just don’t know why :)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have logged everything I've eaten for over seven years, but I recently closed my food diary. I'm in maintenance and my diet it's not what it was when I was trying to lose, so is not a good pattern for success for others. A novice might draw some incorrect conclusions about weight loss looking at my diary. I continue to log for my own purposes though.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends.

That said, I am a very busy woman who meal preps for the week and will repeatedly use the same entries and measurements for my food even though I weighed out each item individually. It's faster and easier that way. I overestimate my proteins, weigh fruits with peels and cores, and if I'm out use the barcode scanner and guesstimate using ounces and cups. I refuse to carry a scale. Keeping one at my desk at work is enough.

So if you see ounces, cups, and tablespoons instead of grams, I know it's not textbook but we can't all be perfect.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I kept my diary private as I was trying to gain weight and on a restricted autoimmune diet. It would have been completely useless to most of my MFP friends.

I just reached maintenance and stopped logging. It became too mentally draining, and I am doing just fine without it so far.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Again, I thank everyone for their responses and opinions. I really only keep my diary open (and probably why I log) is that I like to be accountable for my choices although I know deep down, it’s really just for me. I also like to look back and see my notes and if I deviate from my normal diet.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Years ago, someone tried to food shame me (she was a low carber who didn't think calories counted and thought my intake was pitifully low and had too many grams of carbs) in a thread. I was appalled that my food choices were weaponized like that, because I eat a balanced diet and it was ugly of her. She lied about it, saying she ran reports on my overall nutrition (which another user can't do) and shared my diary with house guests who happened to be doctors and that they were also aghast.

All this because I ended a day filled with vegetables, lean vegetarian protein, and whole grains with an 80 calorie fun sized Snickers bar.

My intake was an apparently ghastly 1400 or so calories.

I vowed then and there that what I ate was no one else's business unless I decided it was and made my diary private.

I log my food in a sloppy way. There are bits of this and that I don't log. I top my cottage cheese with popcorn seasoning and don't log that. I don't log every spice or things like gum.

Every now and then I have a day when I don't log my food because I'm not in the mood, but I keep a mental tally and have a vague notion of what I'm eating on those days. I don't bother logging on holidays or when we're on vacation. It's a sort of relaxed attitude/balance about logging that keeps it enjoyable and easy to do for me.

My experience wasn't as extreme as that but I did have a weird experience where I posted in a thread, can't remember what it was about but for example Does herbal tea count as water? and someone didn't like my answer and they posted to say As if they would take advice from someone who only eats x grams of protein daily!!!

Umm, topic is nothing to do with protein and how much I eat is irelevant to my answer to OP's question. :*:*
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was logging my food religiously for a while but I ate almost the same thing every day and was losing weight rapidly. Eventually I stopped logging because the calorie count barely changed and I wasn't worried about weight coming off.
    Then my weight loss slowed down so i started logging again. Yup, too much snacking. Logging made me see it, but also made it harder to snack.
    So now I mostly just log my food when I think I'm starting to snack too much again. I've lost around 93 lbs last year (I'm 50) and losing around 2 lbs per month now.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mine is public--I don't care who sees it or if they comment. Most of my foods are Italian brands and useless to anyone who doesn't live here. I log after 5 yrs because I like to and I want to hit my protein goal. Logging keeps me honest with myself. I sometimes look at someones diary if they're asking for help. People are so sensitive about it, and I find it strange because I could care less.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What I eat is my business and my business only

I have had it open in the past, and I've had people criticize me for not eating "clean" or whatever. And then I started reaching a point where I wasn't logging some foods to make my diary look better. So I made it private.

been there, done that too for same reasons.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mine is public--I don't care who sees it or if they comment. Most of my foods are Italian brands and useless to anyone who doesn't live here. I log after 5 yrs because I like to and I want to hit my protein goal. Logging keeps me honest with myself. I sometimes look at someones diary if they're asking for help. People are so sensitive about it, and I find it strange because I could care less.

I was surprised I cared, tbh, because I'm not the type to care about such things normally. When I analyzed my feelings, I found them buried in the years growing up fat shamed by my mother. One of the reasons I got fat was because I started eating during adolescence due to childhood sexual abuse that I hadn't told anyone about. I wanted to hide my body. The fat shaming didn't help. I hid food and it was all a very vicious cycle.

It's hard letting go of all of that and making progress at the same time. It's taken a LOT of work to have a healthy relationship with food, and I'm still not sure I'm there.

Baby steps.

I can understand why you'd be--so sorry you had to live with that. I'd love to smack whoever did it--and they deserve worse. However, most MFPers are sensitive about their diaries, without having gone through a traumatic experience. I find it curious. That said, if a crazy picked me to diary bash, I might change my mind. Anything is possible.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I was surprised I cared, tbh, because I'm not the type to care about such things normally. When I analyzed my feelings, I found them buried in the years growing up fat shamed by my mother. One of the reasons I got fat was because I started eating during adolescence due to childhood sexual abuse that I hadn't told anyone about. I wanted to hide my body. The fat shaming didn't help. I hid food and it was all a very vicious cycle.

It's hard letting go of all of that and making progress at the same time. It's taken a LOT of work to have a healthy relationship with food, and I'm still not sure I'm there.

Baby steps.

I can understand why you'd be--so sorry you had to live with that. I'd love to smack whoever did it--and they deserve worse. However, most MFPers are sensitive about their diaries, without having gone through a traumatic experience. I find it curious. That said, if a crazy picked me to diary bash, I might change my mind. Anything is possible.
    How would you know what people on here have been through? I don’t think I should have to share reasons I feel the way I do.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob so I'm still getting the logging thing down, and I agree with the others that what I eat is nobody else's business but mine. I haven't logged for the past few days because I'm traveling for work and am in a place that is literally on the opposite side of the world from my home time zone so in addition to my times being all screwed up, I'm eating locally.

Occasionally I honestly don't know what I'm eating but when I do, the time and guesswork it takes to break down ingredients and log them individually is just too much. So I try to eat appropriately sized portions, which actually isn't too hard because in the little local places, giant meals are not a thing in this country. Plus I'm doing a lot of walking. When I get home, I'll pick up where I left off. I don't need to be shamed for periodic work-related dropouts in my food diary.