Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Agree with the emphasis on nutrition rather than calories. Bit cico makes things simple.

I think there are also differing audiences—the I just wanna lose weight and still enjoy ice cream crowd vs the my body is a temple/Porsche and I’m going to fuel it accordingly crowd. The cicos would fall into the first category while the more nutrition oriented would fall into the second. Different goals and priorities, so different approaches.

Nice analogy, but incorrect. You are confusing CICO with calorie counting. CICO is an energy formula and applies to both of the groups that you described.

Actually it is spot on. Cico is a diet plan, or the application of a formula. It doesn’t consider nutrition, only calories. This is different from a nutritional focus, which doesn’t apply a formula nor does it assume nutritional equivalencies between caloric sources. A quick google of cico supports this definition. Have a good day.

But CICO doesn't require ignoring nutrition either.

Calorie counting is not eat crap at the right calorie level.

Calorie counting is eat whatever foods you want, AND eat at the right calorie level so you lose weight. Calorie counting and eating healthy are not mutually exclusive. If your other goals are to lower your blood pressure, or build muscle, or improve digestion, or become a fitness model, then you want to eat foods that support those other goals.

I could turn around your statement and say - a nutritional focus doesn't consider calories. Without adding calories to the mix, weight loss isn't guaranteed.

And generally, "a quick google" isn't the best way to back up a debate, A quick google will tell you that the earth is flat.

It is more substantive than an unsupported serious of comments on a discussion forum. :/

And I googled, “is the earth flat?” The answers overwhelmingly came back as, “no.”

The point is, if you were a flat earther, you could pick out the answers that fit into your world view, say just google, and then argue that because some sites advocate for flat earth there must be some truth in it. The number of answers that come up with a particular slant is determined by the user's past history and the popularity of the various sites found.

If you would post your google results we would be able to discuss the content of the results that you find compelling. Without knowing where you're getting your information it's just a google popularity contest.

edited for clarity

Better idea: just post the resources that support *your* position.

But the bottom line is that I agree with the original op that nutrition rather than cico should be the emphasis. That position really is not open to debate or influence, especially from nameless, faceless voices on a message board.

The real question here is: Why the investment? Just hit the woo button and move on.

I think the real question is, instead, why the false dichotomy? Why pretend like you can't emphasize nutrition AND calories?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Agree with the emphasis on nutrition rather than calories. Bit cico makes things simple.

I think there are also differing audiences—the I just wanna lose weight and still enjoy ice cream crowd vs the my body is a temple/Porsche and I’m going to fuel it accordingly crowd. The cicos would fall into the first category while the more nutrition oriented would fall into the second. Different goals and priorities, so different approaches.

Nice analogy, but incorrect. You are confusing CICO with calorie counting. CICO is an energy formula and applies to both of the groups that you described.

Actually it is spot on. Cico is a diet plan, or the application of a formula. It doesn’t consider nutrition, only calories. This is different from a nutritional focus, which doesn’t apply a formula nor does it assume nutritional equivalencies between caloric sources. A quick google of cico supports this definition. Have a good day.

But CICO doesn't require ignoring nutrition either.

Calorie counting is not eat crap at the right calorie level.

Calorie counting is eat whatever foods you want, AND eat at the right calorie level so you lose weight. Calorie counting and eating healthy are not mutually exclusive. If your other goals are to lower your blood pressure, or build muscle, or improve digestion, or become a fitness model, then you want to eat foods that support those other goals.

I could turn around your statement and say - a nutritional focus doesn't consider calories. Without adding calories to the mix, weight loss isn't guaranteed.

And generally, "a quick google" isn't the best way to back up a debate, A quick google will tell you that the earth is flat.

It is more substantive than an unsupported serious of comments on a discussion forum. :/

And I googled, “is the earth flat?” The answers overwhelmingly came back as, “no.”

The point is, if you were a flat earther, you could pick out the answers that fit into your world view, say just google, and then argue that because some sites advocate for flat earth there must be some truth in it. The number of answers that come up with a particular slant is determined by the user's past history and the popularity of the various sites found.

If you would post your google results we would be able to discuss the content of the results that you find compelling. Without knowing where you're getting your information it's just a google popularity contest.

edited for clarity

Better idea: just post the resources that support *your* position.

But the bottom line is that I agree with the original op that nutrition rather than cico should be the emphasis. That position really is not open to debate or influence, especially from nameless, faceless voices on a message board.

The real question here is: Why the investment? Just hit the woo button and move on.

I think the real question is, instead, why the false dichotomy? Why pretend like you can't emphasize nutrition AND calories?

*You* can emphasize both. I don’t find it necessary to do so, however. And further agree that with proper food choices and emphasis it isn’t necessary.

I was very focused on nutrition before deciding to lose weight. I was also overweight. Increasing activity and finding a way to limit calories helped me avoid that (I don't think the only way to limit calories is counting them, although some find that enjoyable and it's often educational, including about nutrition).

Some people never have to really think about calories (although many may still think about portion sizes or make changes if their clothes get a bit tight) -- my sister is one of those, and has never been overweight.

Often I see people who were overweight and who were also eating nutritionally poorly change their diet and find they automatically dropped calories and so think they can lose and maintain without counting calories. Maybe that's true, but I suspect that for many once they get used to their new way of eating and realize there are many things they like enough to overeat and so on, that they will find it easy to start overeating again.