Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    CICO thinking is like when we thought the earth was flat 500 years ago. I ate about the same calories at 400lbs that I do at 195. But now it's not processed junk.

There are so many factors that effect weight. Gender age fitness genetics stress sleep menstruation etc etc. To think that a simple math equation if energy expenditure regulates weight is ludicrous.

BTW, up until a few years ago I used to think calories caused me to be obese. I'm glad I know better now.

We've known the world was spherical for at least 2000 years.

You didn't eat the same maintenance calories that you do at 195.

There are many factors that impact weight, but CICO accounts for ~90% of this. Nutritional content does not override caloric density concerned with weight management.

And known within the margin of error of the available instruments the approximate circumference.

Columbus cooked the books/math on the size when he went looking for backers.

Follow the money... lol!

Amazing if you study history following the money is typically all it takes. Following the money/power resolves many mysteries.

I'm still amazed that anyone can think that sailors ever believed the world was flat. Sailors live or die based on their ability to observe and react. Greek sailors knew the world was "curved" simply due to line of sight limitations when out on open water.

The second you get anywhere "not near land" (I mean- even with it just barely visible- or with it at your back- you can see the earth is curved.

#Iworkonwater
    #itsfascinating

Even the Bible references the Earth being round. The Bible.
    We didn't figure it out just a few hundred years ago.

well- I mean- does it count if a made up story says it?

We definitely disagree on that one.

All you have to do is reference politics and you'll have hit the trifecta...

Something about walls being overrated...?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CICO thinking is like when we thought the earth was flat 500 years ago. I ate about the same calories at 400lbs that I do at 195. But now it's not processed junk.

There are so many factors that effect weight. Gender age fitness genetics stress sleep menstruation etc etc. To think that a simple math equation if energy expenditure regulates weight is ludicrous.

BTW, up until a few years ago I used to think calories caused me to be obese. I'm glad I know better now.

There are many factors that impact weight, but CICO accounts for ~90% of this. Nutritional content does not override caloric density concerned with weight management.

And known within the margin of error of the available instruments the approximate circumference.

Follow the money... lol!

Amazing if you study history following the money is typically all it takes. Following the money/power resolves many mysteries.

I'm still amazed that anyone can think that sailors ever believed the world was flat. Sailors live or die based on their ability to observe and react. Greek sailors knew the world was "curved" simply due to line of sight limitations when out on open water.

The second you get anywhere "not near land" (I mean- even with it just barely visible- or with it at your back- you can see the earth is curved.

#Iworkonwater
    #itsfascinating

Has CICO replaced money on the "uncomfortable things to start talking about at a dinner party" list (or whatever you want to call it)?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Follow the money... lol!

#Iworkonwater
    #itsfascinating

Has CICO replaced money on the uncomfortable things to start talking about at a dinner party or whatever it is?

Not sure if it replaced it, but I hate when the conversation go to food choices in the lunch room. I know I'm going to hear cringe-worthy stuff if that happens.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Follow the money... lol!

#Iworkonwater
    #itsfascinating

Has CICO replaced money on the "uncomfortable things to start talking about at a dinner party" list (or whatever you want to call it)?
    Religion, politics and diet. Dinner “no fly” zone...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I think it's definitely time for a "I'm A Minister, Ask Me Anything" thread to appear in the Chit Chat section.

I only said that to clarify my position since my friend asked. :)

That's alright we already knew. It was mentioned once on a rather strange thread that was moved to Chit Chat, generated tremendous response and was taken down.

ME ME ME ME- I actually didn't know!
    I learnt something today!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely time for a "I'm A Minister, Ask Me Anything" thread to appear in the Chit Chat section.

I only said that to clarify my position since my friend asked. :)

That's alright we already knew. It was mentioned once on a rather strange thread that was moved to Chit Chat, generated tremendous response and was taken down.

ME ME ME ME- I actually didn't know!
    I learnt something today!

I didn't know either! Who even is he!?