Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    :huh:

What happened to this thread? I left it going in the direction of a train wreck and I come back to... well... never mind...

7vqs90gbmkb4.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    :huh:

What happened to this thread? I left it going in the direction of a train wreck and I come back to... well... never mind...

7vqs90gbmkb4.png

either get on board or move along.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I don't know a single Biblical literalist. I'm certain they exist and make for excellent strawmen, but don't serve much purpose in furthering understanding.

There are multiple supporting secular accounts - most notable being Josephus & Tacitus. There are parables and there are accounts of history. You cannot simply disregard the base of work because the intent is misrepresented.

I have bible literalists in my family. There are just some things we don't discuss.

ETA: I have discussed CICO with one of the bible literalists. She, unfortunately found it to be too much trouble and keeps looking for magical fixes. She's very into Trim Healthy Mama.

This of course requires additional clarification on "literalists". For example was the world created in 7 Roman calendar days? Is the Earth ~8 k years old?

Similar to CICO I find it fascinating how concerned people can be over the finer points. In particular why it is so important to them.

The biblical literalists in my family believe in a young earth and 7 literal days.

I believe that Oreos (well the kind I can have since I can't have gluten) are delicious.

My mother in law believes that dinosaurs walked with Noah and perished in the flood. Her husband, my husband's stepfather, believes that the King James Bible and no other version is literally perfect and divinely transmitted.

The thing I find weirdest about them is that they are not at all literalists when it comes to verses such as "turn the other cheek" or "give all you have to the poor and follow Me."

Anyway, pretty sure religious debate is against the rules here.

Not getting into the nuts and bolts of this, but touching on some of what you've said and something lemurcat said, I just wanted to note that I studied the bible extensively both as an evangelical Christian and from a Catholic perspective and that they are very different takes.

As it is, I don't really have a dog in this "fight", so to speak. I find the religious scriptures of all faiths to be an interesting area, one I'd like to delve into more, but I'm pretty much a hopeful agnostic.

Religious Studies is absolutely fascinating. I used to be good friends with a guy that was getting his Masters in religious Studies. I met one of his professors, and we became buddies. We would drink heavily Long into the night and discuss the Bible and religion. Funny note: many deeply religious people drop out of Religious Studies courses because it is more about historical facts. They get upset at the facts. At least, the facts as we understand them. This is according to the professor. I have no actual knowledge or data to back this up. But, it is bothersome for the teachers because the religious people are often vocal and refute everything until they finally leave.

Yeah, I went into an informal study (not in school, but did it on my own using scholarly sources) as a die hard believer and came out an agnostic.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This would be me also.

Me three.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't think this thread is turning out quite the way OP hoped :D
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Not sure what to make of all the wooing. I mean I get that this is a relatively controversial subject, but nobody in the "believer" camp has done any more than present opinion and perspective as opinion and perspective.

I'm still trying to figure out what "woo" means. Like I get the point its' supposed to mean like "bro science" or "woo- gwenth paltrow diets"- But its honestly gets applied in the strangest way- I just sort of ignore it honestly.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I have an almost an hour and a half to go- sooooooo let's move it along- we gotta keep talking about something.
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    I have an almost an hour and a half to go- sooooooo let's move it along- we gotta keep talking about something.

I can talk to you about protein biosynthesis if you want... Then again, not sure I understood most of what I've just read. Was too busy shaking my head at the oddest train wrecks going on. It's kinda hard to read (and take useful notes) when you're shaking your head.

Oh and, I didn't woo your answer to my Obi-Wan... I thought it was funny :tongue:
  • ladyreva78
    Options

Come join us in the Food section. Very sensible discussion about the "best" diet happening over there..........You might need to read really really fast though.

Oh and don't shake your head while you're trying to speed read... it'll slow you down :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options

Come join us in the Food section. Very sensible discussion about the "best" diet happening over there..........You might need to read really really fast though.

Oh and don't shake your head while you're trying to speed read... it'll slow you down :wink:

damnit- but I'll jump over- I'm definitely sort of dragging booty here and not in the good way- I just had my last snack- and there is giant bag of doritos that I'm avoiding.

I'll pop over- I saw it and passed by it like ten times- I missed the fact it was gaining speed.

I move that we create a debate/discussion group that's aggressively moderated against disrespectful folks, but no holds barred regarding ethical/theological belief/opinion.

I'm down. Although I freely admit- it's hard to be respectful sometimes. The whole imaginary friend thing comes out and people get offended. But I can try. It would be more fun than doing nothing.
  • ladyreva78
    Options

Quick notes...

OP wants a diet to prevent all possible disease and lose weight....

Sort of goes to plan (well.it is friday) then ADDED SUGARZ = LOW FAT CONSPIRACY = ALL FRUIT IS POISON

Then bizarrely special k being 33% sugar and eating 128lbs of added sugar each a year ....being thrown about every other post....

Most excellent cliff notes there!