Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    See @kimny72 this thread keeps taking new twists.

It's like the soap opera of MFP threads.

I bet @Carlos_421 has an evil twin - who doesn't like Oreos! Dun-dun-duuuuuuuuun.

Or maybe it's a 1/4 brother :smiley:

I will co-sign that people who don’t like Oreos are evil.

*is evil*

Heh, Carlos - I'm in Thailand next May. I should send you some Thai Oreos - they're the most messed up thing ever.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I don't know a single Biblical literalist. I'm certain they exist and make for excellent strawmen, but don't serve much purpose in furthering understanding.

There are multiple supporting secular accounts - most notable being Josephus & Tacitus. There are parables and there are accounts of history. You cannot simply disregard the base of work because the intent is misrepresented.

I have bible literalists in my family. There are just some things we don't discuss.

ETA: I have discussed CICO with one of the bible literalists. She, unfortunately found it to be too much trouble and keeps looking for magical fixes. She's very into Trim Healthy Mama.

This of course requires additional clarification on "literalists". For example was the world created in 7 Roman calendar days? Is the Earth ~8 k years old?

Similar to CICO I find it fascinating how concerned people can be over the finer points. In particular why it is so important to them.

The biblical literalists in my family believe in a young earth and 7 literal days.

I believe that Oreos (well the kind I can have since I can't have gluten) are delicious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't know a single Biblical literalist. I'm certain they exist and make for excellent strawmen, but don't serve much purpose in furthering understanding.

There are multiple supporting secular accounts - most notable being Josephus & Tacitus. There are parables and there are accounts of history. You cannot simply disregard the base of work because the intent is misrepresented.

I have bible literalists in my family. There are just some things we don't discuss.

ETA: I have discussed CICO with one of the bible literalists. She, unfortunately found it to be too much trouble and keeps looking for magical fixes. She's very into Trim Healthy Mama.

This of course requires additional clarification on "literalists". For example was the world created in 7 Roman calendar days? Is the Earth ~8 k years old?

Similar to CICO I find it fascinating how concerned people can be over the finer points. In particular why it is so important to them.

I tend to think literalism means "everything in the Bible is literally true" as in "true in a historical way." Even so, some literalists are open to some select bits being story (sometimes Jonah), and there are variations in what it means, sure. But an example would be the approach to the age of humanity or Noah's Ark/the Flood. I think the overarching concept largely relates to the development of the fundamentals and literalist approach to interpreting the Bible as a response to German Biblical scholars who focused on multiple sources for the Bible and how it was likely written and things like Q as one of the underlying sources for the synoptic Gospels.

I would differentiate that from the more mainline Protestant and Catholic approach to the Bible, although I'd think that there are areas that most Christians would of course accept as historically accurate (although I know there are some who take even those as not literal but a metaphor or some such).

I think it's an interesting topic and have had long and mutually respectfully discussions with literalists about it (I'm Catholic and religious). That said, I don't think it's something that can be productively discussed here (and is almost certainly going to be seen by TPTB as against the rules, I'd bet).

CICO may be (maybe) less controversial. ;-)

There was a point in time where I was very read up on scholarship on Q. My memory issues being what they are, I forget a lot of what I learned. I remember being fascinated by it all.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow! This thread, it rocks! Thanks OP! I sure do hope you come back and see what amazing people there are on MFP.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My family is pretty literal- I grew up being taught the earth was young- and created in 7 literal days.

Didn't really realize I grew up in a "literalist" family. Look at that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think it's an interesting topic and have had long and mutually respectfully discussions with literalists about it (I'm Catholic and religious). That said, I don't think it's something that can be productively discussed here (and is almost certainly going to be seen by TPTB as against the rules, I'd bet).

No doubt. Although we've gone almost 24 hours now.

Perhaps by taking such a long/wide road and tangent to get here we've shed the people unable to have a civil/productive discussion.

That being said, there are other fora where such a conversation could be held. Perhaps a group, if there's interest. Would need to weed out against trolls and derailers.
  • vanilla_frosting
    vanilla_frosting Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Weird experience - opens thread on CICO, reads first few pages, skips to end - somehow we are now on how literally we take the bible :o:o:o .

I did the same thing...