Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I don't know a single Biblical literalist. I'm certain they exist and make for excellent strawmen, but don't serve much purpose in furthering understanding.

There are multiple supporting secular accounts - most notable being Josephus & Tacitus. There are parables and there are accounts of history. You cannot simply disregard the base of work because the intent is misrepresented.

I have a 1/4 brother who believes the bible is literally true. Very intelligent guy and very well read. We have interesting conversations and I learn a lot from him. I don't believe the same things he does, but that's okay, I don't have to.

This has actually turned into an interesting thread, but to stay on topic - CICO is the only thing that matters for weight loss. :)

What is a 1/4 brother? I'm trying to do the math on the possible genetic/family circumstances in my head and failing utterly.

Ha! I was really hoping someone else thought along parallel lines.

What are the other 3/4?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I don't know a single Biblical literalist. I'm certain they exist and make for excellent strawmen, but don't serve much purpose in furthering understanding.

There are multiple supporting secular accounts - most notable being Josephus & Tacitus. There are parables and there are accounts of history. You cannot simply disregard the base of work because the intent is misrepresented.

I have a 1/4 brother who believes the bible is literally true. Very intelligent guy and very well read. We have interesting conversations and I learn a lot from him. I don't believe the same things he does, but that's okay, I don't have to.

This has actually turned into an interesting thread, but to stay on topic - CICO is the only thing that matters for weight loss. :)

What is a 1/4 brother? I'm trying to do the math on the possible genetic/family circumstances in my head and failing utterly.

Sorry! My dad married my aunt after my mom died and her children, my cousins, became - well, what? They weren't step-siblings because we're blood related but not enough to be half-siblings. Best we came up with was 1/4 siblings.

Yeah, it's a little weird. My husband says most people have a family tree, but he needs a GPS for mine.

Okay! That actually makes sense. Thanks for indulging my curious nature.

You bet! I actually meant to edit the 1/4 out because it's kind of a "you had to be there" joke but got sidetracked.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So... Did OP every come back?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Now you know one!

Yup! Lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So... Did OP every come back?

Not since page 4.

Must be taking longer to read than one would think ;)