Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm only up to page 15, but my take on the bible topic is:

I believe in God, but i don't believe in Religion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Orthodox Jewish here. I do believe that the Bible is factual, but I also agree that it was meant to be an instruction book, not a history book. It is not always chronological. Sometimes it requires additional commentaries to understand.

Interesting thoughts. I think large parts of the Hebrew Scriptures (what we Christians call the Old Testament) are historical. I don't think they are 100% accurate (or expect them to be) -- they seem to me more in line with other ancient histories (like Herodotus and Thucydides, among others) in some ways, and to be retellings from later periods based on tradition and so on (and thus we see differences in Chronicles and Samuel/Kings, etc.). None of that ever posed a challenge of faith for me, as I was not brought up thinking that Biblical inspiration meant that books would be written in a different manner than other books and = perfectly factual in a way that matters now vs. like other historical accounts of the time.

What did pose more of a struggle for me is that I think that Biblical inspiration means that they are there for a reason and teach lessons that we should learn (although it may not be straightforward and there may be many different interpretations that are meaningful -- kind of like all the midrash, I suppose). But in some cases it's really hard to understand what a positive moral message would be, and you can see that it's been misused often throughout history to justify things that are not good.

This does not challenge my faith or my belief that the Bible is inspired, but I do think it makes interpretation something that is not as simple as some portray it (not saying that applies to anyone in this thread).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I was raised Christian, United Methodist specifically, and my mother was a believer to her bedrock, the kindest and warmest sort, not a rigid or overbearing type. While I think my dad was at heart a deist, he was a bit more of a free thinker.

I was a strong believer into my teens, but began to struggle with doubt. I'm fundamentally rationalist at my core, and that makes faith a viscerally hard sell.

Sometime in my late teens or early twenties, I came to a realization: Whether I believed in a deity or not, my behavior would be exactly the same. I have a very strong sense of ethics and morality (maybe an idiosyncratic one, but strong, and fairly Golden Rule oriented ;) ). To me, my actual actions seemed at least as ethically based as those of the believers around me.

At that moment - and it really was kind of just a moment - I decided I didn't care whether there was a god, and I literally stopped worrying about it.

These days, I remain a committed agnostic. I deeply respect others' faiths, and don't argue with them about metaphysics. It's faith, not logic. I expect others to respect my beliefs, too. I grow big scary metaphorical teeth if they try to convert me. And to the extent I form judgements about people - which I try to keep to a practical minimum - I judge based on actions.

^That's me to a T, though the timing is different.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have an almost an hour and a half to go- sooooooo let's move it along- we gotta keep talking about something.

I move that we create a debate/discussion group that's aggressively moderated against disrespectful folks, but no holds barred regarding ethical/theological belief/opinion.

I've looked into some and they're a bit sunny and Evangelically flavored. Nothing wrong with that of course but the conversation at those groups seems to come to a standstill in about 30 days with the group leader ending up talking pretty much to herself after that.

If there were an eclectic mix of Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics, Protestants of various traditional denominations, non-denominationals, atheists, agnostics, New Agers, Evangelicals, Charismatics, Literalists, Mormons, 7th Day, Self taught Christians with no formal affiliation, Secular Humanists, former tarot card readers that came back to walk with Christ again, etc. - with an emphasis on respect with moderation - that could be interesting if we could keep the discussions ongoing and interesting.

I haven't yet seen such a group get off the ground but for sure it's a good idea.

I'm a member of a FB group that is sort of that way.

But here goes. Hope I did this right.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/125560-meaning-of-life

oooh, shiny. i'd like to join if it's alright.

also, i spent way too long looking for this gif only to realize when i found it that it's not from the meaning of life, but from life of brian, but i'm posting it anyway.

giphy.gif

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy

SPLITTER!!!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I was raised Christian, United Methodist specifically, and my mother was a believer to her bedrock, the kindest and warmest sort, not a rigid or overbearing type. While I think my dad was at heart a deist, he was a bit more of a free thinker.

I was a strong believer into my teens, but began to struggle with doubt. I'm fundamentally rationalist at my core, and that makes faith a viscerally hard sell.

Sometime in my late teens or early twenties, I came to a realization: Whether I believed in a deity or not, my behavior would be exactly the same. I have a very strong sense of ethics and morality (maybe an idiosyncratic one, but strong, and fairly Golden Rule oriented ;) ). To me, my actual actions seemed at least as ethically based as those of the believers around me.

At that moment - and it really was kind of just a moment - I decided I didn't care whether there was a god, and I literally stopped worrying about it.

These days, I remain a committed agnostic. I deeply respect others' faiths, and don't argue with them about metaphysics. It's faith, not logic. I expect others to respect my beliefs, too. I grow big scary metaphorical teeth if they try to convert me. And to the extent I form judgements about people - which I try to keep to a practical minimum - I judge based on actions.

^That's me to a T, though the timing is different.

Pretty much me too, with the exception of substituting Lutheran for Methodist.