Do we go nowhere ?

Options

Replies

• andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When we die, we stop existing. Thats it. Religion for me is an accepted form of insanity that lets people cope with the fact that we arent special or "gods chosen creatures". And the fact that there is no point to anything beside the one you create for yourself. Me im still looking for a purpose and hope one day i will find it, untill then im just doing the best i can^^ Tbh though, i wish i could believe in a religion so i wouldnt have to feel the angst i do when i think about non-existance.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/d_Uahu9XNzU

In this video Sam Harris explains it better than I ever could.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Even if there’s a small chance of a afterlife (I strongly doubt it) I’m going to be pissed! I’m only in my early 30’s and I am already EXHAUSTED. I’ve been through a lot. I don’t want to go through this sh*** again lmao. I just want to eventually die, be cremated and be one with the universe. I have never found the concept of an “afterlife” comforting. It gives me anxiety actually.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Actually intrested to get an atheist view on life. Do you think when we expire that's it? What can your views on life possibly be if that's the case? I am very intrigued by this.

When we die we are 'done'...we 'compost' into the world and become part of whatever?? Fertilizer? Random debris?recycled? Garbage or a pollutant?

I understand why people want to think there is more to themselves and their 'consciousness', but realistically I think that is just some human ego thing...none of us are significant in a big picture...but in a small picture, amongst the people we touch and know, we are the very essence of "life"...and should be treasured

I agree with this.
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't say with certainty what happens after we die but many people make very bold assertions and reach conclusions as if they are privy to information others are not.

The issue is whether we can survive our own deaths. Other than anecdotal personal accounts, evidence doesn't substantiate the claim. It's answered by respective faith for those willing to accept but it isn't evidence. To each his or her own but the OP earlier said something along the lines of somehow what's the entire point of our existence if we don't survive our own deaths. Living is the point. What we know and have is today and anything beyond that is subject of hope, interpretation, and faith.

This is always a controversial but thought provoking discussion.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What I struggle with is, isn’t it better to believe in something rather than taking the risk in not believing in nothing at all? Possibly nothing is real but isn’t it more reassuring to have something to hold onto, even if it’s merely a crutch?

My own feeling is that I am not reassured by trying to hold onto a belief in something that does not make sense to me with no evidence. I believe in things I have experienced or things that have been proven to be fact.
    I guess I don't understand why I should need something like religious faith to hold onto. I don't feel so lost or scared or directionless that I can't cope.

I know religion/spirituality is a coping mechanism for some people. If believing in an afterlife, reincarnation, ghosts, aliens, crystals gets you through your tough times then okay. I'm not going to tell you it is crap unless you use that belief to hurt others.

Where do you feel there is a risk in not beleving in something spiritual/supernatural- whatever that is? Do you think bad things happen if you don't believe in something? Like there will be an earthquake or something? Or are you scared that you will suffer after death?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    No Afterlife ?

So Stalin goes unpunished?

Dang.... that ain't right.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    As for the existence of God, God exists......... and I have proof.

The Cleveland Browns.

God Hates the Cleveland Browns.

How could he hate them if he doesn't exist?

• WhisperingNighthawk
    WhisperingNighthawk Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's a great question with many opinions, but unfortunately none of us will ever know, until we actually die. I think most of what we each feel/believe is based on what we want to hold on to, what gives us solace and helps us along the way, whether it's a belief system (religion) or not. Either way, we all strive to live the best life we can by being honest, caring, compassionate and always being there for each other.

I've read that when the heart stops (beating) that it takes several minutes for the blood to stop pumping through our body, during which time our brain is still functioning. I imagine it's during this time that people have had near death experiences. But there are many different things that people have experienced, ranging from seeing a bright light at the end of a long tunnel, to just being peacefully asleep, to actually going to heaven and many experiences in between.

When I was little, I remember thinking about dying and the nothingness and it would scare me, but it no longer does. I think death is calm and peaceful and not scary at all. Perhaps the most peaceful we will ever feel in our lives here on earth - those minutes just before our brain ceases functioning.

I won't go in to what I believe simply because this isn't the place for it. We all believe differently. Even the Bible is interpreted many different ways. Perhaps it's not for us to know. The ponderings are good for us, it shows that we care about the reasons for being alive.

I wish that we could all love each other regardless of beliefs and do away with the hatred that's so prevalent today. There's no reason for it or any of the insults. We owe each other more than that. All of humanity deserves respect regardless of beliefs. Nothing, absolutely nothing should make us hate each other. I know that's a pipe dream, but that's okay.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Religion is not code for Christianity, and I don’t think there is an afterlife discussion without the mention of religion.

It’s Kinda hand in hand.

That's fair.

That also opens a whole can of worms too ( i.e. - ethics, morality & other ultimate issues of life.).

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Aren't evidence and faith necessarily at odds with each other? Both in definition and in practice? So how can that conversation be anything but circular?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get my knickers in a twist when the faithful try and find “scientific” evidence. Like coming up with “proofs” of a bible aged earth, or the location of Eden. All it does is make a mockery of their beliefs.