Master rally troll level reached.
    New epic props unlocked.

This is great!
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    bojack3 wrote: »
    It just means based on the knowledge that we have now, that is what I will base my conclusion on. Not on what may or could be, what is currently known. The great thing about science is it will evolve and conclusions can change. But based on what is known at the moment, my conclusion i believe to be based on facts and not speculation.

I tend to put more faith in the possibilities of what we don't know than the small collection of things we think we know and can currently prove based on it. It isn't dismissive of science, but exactly what keeps true science moving forward. That is, never being comfortable and confident in facts beyond what they currently show, and always working to question that and find the next level of understanding. Theory works like this, which is based on some of the things we know, we will in others with faith that certain other facts could, should, would align to something.

People tend to look for comfort in both side of it really, with neither gaining much by doing so. It is more to give meaning to their existence and this part of life, more than the unknown of what is next.

I agree. All I'm saying that I don't claim to know something that I don't. It doesn't mean I don't speculate and love to explore what could be, but I hesitate to definitely say I know something to be true on what has yet to be proven so. To me it's different conversations. Both of which are fine to me. Things that you believe to be true based on given evidence, and the separate conversation of things you would like to explore and or prove but as of yet have not.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I would never go to a place like that...I know my limits.

My sis in law and HER wife have two boys. One born from each.

Very few things can upset me greatly...they are awesome and my nephews are awesome!

That's an area that could get me angry.

Wanna call them a bad name when I'm around? You are going to have a big problem.

[/quote]

Not sure what your rant is about.

My daughter and I did not go to Westboro Baptist Church and protest. We went to a local church that THEY were protesting when a funeral for a Veteran was being held.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    bojack3 wrote: »
    It just means based on the knowledge that we have now, that is what I will base my conclusion on. Not on what may or could be, what is currently known. The great thing about science is it will evolve and conclusions can change. But based on what is known at the moment, my conclusion i believe to be based on facts and not speculation.

I tend to put more faith in the possibilities of what we don't know than the small collection of things we think we know and can currently prove based on it. It isn't dismissive of science, but exactly what keeps true science moving forward. That is, never being comfortable and confident in facts beyond what they currently show, and always working to question that and find the next level of understanding. Theory works like this, which is based on some of the things we know, we will in others with faith that certain other facts could, should, would align to something.

People tend to look for comfort in both side of it really, with neither gaining much by doing so. It is more to give meaning to their existence and this part of life, more than the unknown of what is next.

I agree, without blind faith in the unknown and unseen we wouldn't have the knowledge and technologies that we do today... light, x-rays, radio, just as examples. This blind faith breeds curiosity, and the more we learn the more we learn... Nikola Tesla for example, changed the face of life on earth as we know it in so many ways... sometimes you have to believe it to see it...

I don't think it's blind faith that leads to discovery. I think it's expanding knowledge and curiosity of what we know, or think we know. It's a progressive evolution that allows new discovery most times. Blind faith to me means you are hoping for something to be true despite and or having lack of evidence. I would believe that those with the ability to take credible proven avenues and apply them to unknown areas are the ones more likely to find new discoveries more so than someone wishing for it to be so.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Actually intrested to get an atheist view on life. Do you think when we expire that's it? What can your views on life possibly be if that's the case? I am very intrigued by this.

Didn't notice this before and it's 9 pages long as of this writing. Don't have the time to go through everyone else's comments but here goes. You ask what my views on life can possibly be if I expect the good times to end after I shuffle off this mortal coil. Sorry but sounds too much like something neurotic Woody Allen would have said. "What's the purpose of life if we're just going to die and that's it? That's exactly why I'm trying to squeeze as much as I can get out of life while I still have it. To quote Steve Goodman from, "You Better Get It While You Can",

Now one night I asked Carl where he got the fire
    And he said, 'Steve, you've got to understand
    If you want to be someone, you better have some fun
    And you better get it while you can.'

He said:
    You better get it while you can
    If you wait too long, it'll all be gone
    And you'll be sorry then
    It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor
    And it's the same for a woman or a man
    From the cradle to the crypt
    Is a mighty short trip
    So you better get it while you can

Would I like it if there was an after(life) party? Sure, but I guess I'm able not to let knowledge of my mortality get in my way. I say this as someone much closer to the end than the beginning. As Heinlein wrote in Time Enough For Love, "There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?

I also hope to live my life so the Westboro Baptist Church wants to protest at my funeral.

My daughter and I actually attended a Westboro Baptist Church Rally. It was a hoot.
    Not sure why they didn't like us.

g8kua6fo2z5e.png

Outstanding, Red Team, outstanding! Get you a case of beer for that one.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Not sure what your rant is about.

My daughter and I did not go to Westboro Baptist Church and protest. We went to a local church that THEY were protesting when a funeral for a Veteran was being held.

Try reading?

Sorry. Read it wrong. Thought you were angry at my daughter and I. Hug it out?
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

[/quote]

Sorry. Read it wrong. Thought you were angry at my daughter and I. Hug it out?[/quote]

Not in the least!

I'm admitting I don't have your self-discipline! I would be drawn into arguments which would easily just fuel their *kitten*.

The idea of protesting a funeral is beyond despicable to me. Mock the passage to and/or from life for people? What just deserves have you possibly got coming to you? They can't be good.

These guys...just smh.

Good job.

<3 [/quote]

I went to support my daughter. She was very disturbed that they would protest a Veteran's funeral. I was a Marine so, of course, I was all in. They protested in front of the Church. Walking in a circle. Clockwise. I entered the circle and walked counterclockwise, herfing on the biggest cigar I have.

I really was hoping for a confrontation, but what I saw saddened me rather than made me mad. The elders of the Westboro Baptist Church dropped the younger kids and teens off and made them march while they waited down the street in a couple of buses. Those kids are victims of their upbringing; not someone to attack. I feel very sorry for them. I hope, like all cults, it will run its course and dissolve.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Actually intrested to get an atheist view on life. Do you think when we expire that's it? What can your views on life possibly be if that's the case? I am very intrigued by this.

Didn't notice this before and it's 9 pages long as of this writing. Don't have the time to go through everyone else's comments but here goes. You ask what my views on life can possibly be if I expect the good times to end after I shuffle off this mortal coil. Sorry but sounds too much like something neurotic Woody Allen would have said. "What's the purpose of life if we're just going to die and that's it? That's exactly why I'm trying to squeeze as much as I can get out of life while I still have it. To quote Steve Goodman from, "You Better Get It While You Can",

Now one night I asked Carl where he got the fire
    And he said, 'Steve, you've got to understand
    If you want to be someone, you better have some fun
    And you better get it while you can.'

He said:
    If you wait too long, it'll all be gone
    And you'll be sorry then
    It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor
    And it's the same for a woman or a man
    From the cradle to the crypt
    Is a mighty short trip
    So you better get it while you can

Would I like it if there was an after(life) party? Sure, but I guess I'm able not to let knowledge of my mortality get in my way. I say this as someone much closer to the end than the beginning. As Heinlein wrote in Time Enough For Love, "There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?

I also hope to live my life so the Westboro Baptist Church wants to protest at my funeral.

My daughter and I actually attended a Westboro Baptist Church Rally. It was a hoot.
    Not sure why they didn't like us.

g8kua6fo2z5e.png

Outstanding, Red Team, outstanding! Get you a case of beer for that one.

BEACH+PARTY+NEW+3+X.jpg
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Question for anyone:

What movie or series would you recommend to learn about the life of Jesus (starting at birth) with as much detail/accuracy as possible? (Under 3 hours?)

(This is not a religious debate.)
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Question for anyone:

What movie or series would you recommend to learn about the life of Jesus (starting at birth) with as much detail/accuracy as possible? (Under 3 hours?)

(This is not a religious debate.)

In my opinion this is the best movie out there

Here you go ...

Jesus Of Nazareth (Full Movie)1977

https://youtu.be/50IiF1rTTGQ

Thank you!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Have you watched the Invention of Lying? If not it makes for interesting conversation along these lines.