Options
    bump
  • dezcalouette
    dezcalouette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    GREAT, concise information. Thanks!
  • happymom1197
    Options
    Ty for the info! I will be reading thru all of the links that u posted! I feel like I'm doing what I need to do to lose weight, so I could really use this info to get losing again:)
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Good thread, thanks.
  • lenny1976
    lenny1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Glad it's helped :)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    always a great read and RE-READ! thanks again so much!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Amazing info! thanks :D
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Needed today, apparently... :wink:
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lose my muscle and wreck my metabolism...I don't think so!! I'll stick with eating right and muscle building exercises!! After all who can maintain eating under 1000 cal a day for the rest of their lives? As soon as you start eating anything extra again...back comes the weight!!! I will pass!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump~
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    more bumping
  • medwards89
    medwards89 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I could "bump" this post all day long!!!

My best friend just started MFP and came across another post from a blog about starvation mode being a big old myth and even suggested that a person can get by just fine on 500 cals a day!! I almost went through the roof!! I'm a nursing student wrapping up my sciences and am taught by doctors.
    This post follows to the T, what those doctors have taught me. I congratulate someone who has lost a lot of weight, but look....not everyone starting MFP has the education to know any better and might take everything they read and put it into practice. 500 CALORIES?!?! That's irresponsible and I really wish there was better, if any? moderation of these threads.

:smile: Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out for everyone THE CORRECT way!!!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much LadyHawk - that info was presented in a wonderfully informative, nonconfrontational way. I thought this site was about support and information but after reading a lot of the threads, there are a lot of angry, confrontational, know-it-alls on here.

My fav part was (put-in-my-own-words), if you're fat (and I am), you have enough fat to power your body in most cases.

Small request - Can you do a similar post on the supposed dangers of water hypertension? I freely admit that I am not a doctor or an expert but it seems to me that most regular people, especially those of us increasing our exercise amounts in an effort to loose weight are in low danger of drinking too much water.

PS- Love that movie! Could Michelle be any more beautiful than as a hawk?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode stinks,
    I did a talk and mini-consult with about 20 ladies and most of them claimed to eat well under their base metabolic rate, exercised, and yet couldn't lose weight. That is the definition of starvation mode! I know some may lie, and some may exaggerate, but I know it happens because it's happened to me so many times in the past.

This is a great post, keep it bumped.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So dumb question...

I am currently having problems eating with some pills I'm trying to get adjusted. I've been worried about this starvation mode.

I have a BMI of 48 (yes super high) and I'm currently eating around 1400-1500 calories a day. I know from the charts and calculators it says I have to eat 3600 calories to stay the same. I've been worried that such a low calorie count eaten a day would kick me into starvation mode. What I'm reading here is since I'm eating, my body isn't saying it's hungry, I'm working out, and taking multi-vitamins, that my body will eat the fat before muscle since I have so much?

I've been low calorie count like this for about 3 weeks now. I have a ton of energy though and I have lost weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    So dumb question...

I am currently having problems eating with some pills I'm trying to get adjusted. I've been worried about this starvation mode.

I have a BMI of 48 (yes super high) and I'm currently eating around 1400-1500 calories a day. I know from the charts and calculators it says I have to eat 3600 calories to stay the same. I've been worried that such a low calorie count eaten a day would kick me into starvation mode. What I'm reading here is since I'm eating, my body isn't saying it's hungry, I'm working out, and taking multi-vitamins, that my body will eat the fat before muscle since I have so much?

I've been low calorie count like this for about 3 weeks now. I have a ton of energy though and I have lost weight.

With a BMI of 48, you're not likely at risk of starvation mode (for now.) The main concern would be more about nutrition. For the average man (around 5'9"), it's difficult to get sufficient macros and micros with less than 1500-1600 cals, particularly without a pretty clean diet that is carefully planned.

So unless you're fairly short, I'd try to at least keep it closer to 2000 - which is about a 1500 deficit, for 3 lbs per week, the maximum loss per week recommended by health experts. Even though you aren't risking starvation mode, there are other risks associated with rapid weight loss, so it's best to keep it at a reasonable pace.

Obviously, if you're having issues with medication, you kind of have to do the best you can. When possible, increase cals. But if you aren't able to sometimes, you really need to try to make sure that what you DO eat is very nutritionally dense - good protein, healthy fats and complex carbs, without empty calories. Try to ensure you're meeting micro goals, as well (take a multi vitamin if necessary, but it's best if they come from food.)

Does that help?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So dumb question...

With a BMI of 48, you're not likely at risk of starvation mode (for now.) The main concern would be more about nutrition. For the average man (around 5'9"), it's difficult to get sufficient macros and micros with less than 1500-1600 cals, particularly without a pretty clean diet that is carefully planned.

So unless you're fairly short, I'd try to at least keep it closer to 2000 - which is about a 1500 deficit, for 3 lbs per week, the maximum loss per week recommended by health experts. Even though you aren't risking starvation mode, there are other risks associated with rapid weight loss, so it's best to keep it at a reasonable pace.

Obviously, if you're having issues with medication, you kind of have to do the best you can. When possible, increase cals. But if you aren't able to sometimes, you really need to try to make sure that what you DO eat is very nutritionally dense - good protein, healthy fats and complex carbs, without empty calories. Try to ensure you're meeting micro goals, as well (take a multi vitamin if necessary, but it's best if they come from food.)

Does that help?

Greatly! I've been very worried about hitting starvation mode. I am taking a multivitamin, been doing that for awhile now. I just didn't want to be cancelling out everything I'm working hard to do. Thank you again!