Diet Drink Recommendations

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've mixed in the low cal Gatorade along with my Diet Pepsi. I like Glacier Cherry and the Raspberry Lemonade.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ok that sounds a little freaky. I gotta try just for the experience. Thanks!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Water.

Did you actually read my post?

I did, twice

You must not have, because the OP said:
    So I'm looking for some suggestions for tasty low calorie "diet" sodas that are artificially sweetened as I'm particularly looking for the sweetness that are also caffeine free?

Water isn’t an artificially sweetened diet soda, so it isn’t a helpful answer.

A lot of stores carry generic diet sodas in lots of flavours, lemonade (carbonated), orange, root beer, ginger ale, caffeine free cola, and more. It’s actually pretty easy to find caffeine free diet soda.

I thought I was pretty clear in my OP what I was looking for. I wasn't asking for opinions on whether peopled liked diet soda or if I should just drink water instead. People are weird...

I didn't think about a store brand. I remember when I was a kid one of my favorites was RC Cola. I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the inspiration. You've got me thinking bigger now and that's what I was looking for.

I buy the store brand because it’s cheaper, and they have some nice flavours. A lot of them don’t compare to the real brands (like diet store brand ginger ale is very strange tasting), but I find they’re good enough when I want a sweet drink. Someone else posted the Sparkling Ice drinks, which are really good, and there’s another brand called Fruit2O which is similar, but I’m in Canada so I don’t know if they’re available everywhere. But those are all fruity, so if you’re looking for something non-fruity then they wouldn’t be a good choice.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered that I really like the taste of Coke Zero Sugar. I've always shied away from diet drinks in the past, but I enjoy the low cal sweetness. I tired Diet Pepsi the other day and enjoyed it as well.

However, I am pretty sensitive to caffeine and if I drink it after noon or so, it tends to keep me up and I get the shakes if I get more than about 1 coffee and 2 sodas cans per day.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for tasty low calorie "diet" sodas that are artificially sweetened as I'm particularly looking for the sweetness that are also caffeine free? Maybe something along the lines of Coke Zero in terms of flavor though I'd give fruity flavors a try as well.

For whatever reason I don't seem to be particularly fond of Diet Coke, but it's possible it's a mindset thing as it's been around forever and the ingredient list looks an awful lot like Coke Zero. Call me weird...

What's your favorites?

have you tried the flavored diet cokes? they have feisty cherry,blood orange a mango one and a lime ginger one that taste pretty good. they also have caffeine free diet coke that isnt too bad. also look into your clear diet sodas as many of them dont have caffeine either. sprite zero is a good one. diet 7up and diet 7up cherry is ok too.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a diet cherry 7up in years, but I just added two bottles of it to my grocery order thanks to this thread! I used to drink it all the time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diet A&W is my favorite caffeine free option.

Also, be aware that some of the orange sodas aren't caffeine free. I learned that one the hard way

This^

Diet A&W.....yum!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Up here in Canada the caffeine free Diet Pepsi is in a gold can. I’ve learned the packaging and ingredient lists can be a little different across the border.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    have you tried the flavored diet cokes? they have feisty cherry,blood orange a mango one and a lime ginger one that taste pretty good. they also have caffeine free diet coke that isnt too bad. also look into your clear diet sodas as many of them dont have caffeine either. sprite zero is a good one. diet 7up and diet 7up cherry is ok too.
    Meh. I was eagerly looking forward to those new Diet Coke flavors, especially the blood orange and mango. Having tried them all, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Not as good as I hoped they'd be.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Meh. I was eagerly looking forward to those new Diet Coke flavors, especially the blood orange and mango. Having tried them all, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Not as good as I hoped they'd be.

I tried them all and Mango was my fave. Blood orange barely had any orange flavour at all! Same with ginger lime.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My favourite is cherry but I love anything and everything cherry
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

Thanks. But I actually went to school for nutrition and I'm going to go with what I learned there and actual scientific studies that I've read over some random post on a message board.

That said, I do sometimes stick with the devil I know, but it's not a daily dietary choice that I choose to make.
    Something tells me you didn't check out that post as it is very scientific ;) The guy who wrote it has a PhD in microbiology and is a research scientist. What are the urls to the scientific studies you have read (human studies not rat/ mouse studies that use way more aspartame than anyone would ever ingest in a day) that show that aspartame is dangerous?

I'm not going to take over the OP with a sidebar on the dangers of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. For every study that that gentleman and others in the post linked, I'd guarantee there is another one out there to contradict it. If you care to learn more, you are free to google or pick up a scientific journal on your own. I have formulated an opinion all on my own by researching and I don't need to justify or prove it to anyone else.

Why are you assuming that I haven't researched it? I have done tons of reading and have come to a different conclusion than you have. You don't have to justify your opinion if you don't want to but also making claims that something is dangerous without backing it up isn't that helpful.

All I said was "while it might not be the best thing for you because it contains aspartame". I never used the word "dangerous". But if you want links, here you go. Do with them as you please, I will not be commenting in this post again. I have a very different view on health and nutrition than the majority of this board, and quite frankly, just don't have it in me to argue with people.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130529190728.htm

Here's one about sucralose (Splenda): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291

I'm the OP and would like to get some of the "sciency" folks on here to respond to these links and maybe break them down for us. I'm not the least bit concerned about artificial sweeteners, but some others might read this thread and be confused.

On another note, I always find it interesting that someone will comment on a thread with a completely inappropriate and frankly rude response and then when called out on it refuse to engage in discussing the merits or accuracy of their statement.

They want to impose their views on others, but don't actually want to go out on a limb and defend their assertions when challenged to do so.

It always ends up feeling like a superiority thing to me (I'm better because I don't do this stuff like you do), which isn't helpful at all. And why hang out in a community you fundamentally disagree with? That would be like an atheist standing in the parking lot of a church and telling everyone walking out what they're doing wrong. It's just weird...

Her first post on the thread wasn't the least bit rude and was quite on point.
    Maybe not the best thing for you because they contain aspartame, but I occasionally imbibe in flavored carbonated water that my grocery store carries, I like the Cherry flavor the best. Otherwise I just drink water or unsweetened iced tea.

I don't see her subsequent posts as rude either. But if you disagree, you are supposed to bring it to the attention of a moderator, rather than trying to moderate your thread yourself.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

I tried them all and Mango was my fave. Blood orange barely had any orange flavour at all! Same with ginger lime.

yep I like the mango the best then the cherry. the blood orange one and the ginger lime one gives me horrid indigestion for some reason. I dont like normal diet coke though so go figure lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    also the new bubly waters which are carbonated are not too bad. IMO better than the lacroix waters.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

yep I like the mango the best then the cherry. the blood orange one and the ginger lime one gives me horrid indigestion for some reason. I dont like normal diet coke though so go figure lol

I hate normal diet coke. I'm a coke zero girl but I like cherry diet coke (and cherry coke zero)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I hate normal diet coke. I'm a coke zero girl but I like cherry diet coke (and cherry coke zero)

I like the coke zero too the diet cherry coke Im not too fond of. I like regular diet cherry but try to go with no calorie ones if I need a soda lol
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    bo227hje9va9.jpg

This stuff. I hate almost all sparkling water, but this stuff is so good, I got my mom and coworker hooked on it, lol
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    bo227hje9va9.jpg

This stuff. I hate almost all sparkling water, but this stuff is so good, I got my mom and coworker hooked on it, lol

Yes, those! And these:

36mk5isly9ul.jpeg

• lisaraegallant
    lisaraegallant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find that diet soda makes losing weight more difficult?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

I haven't found that to be the case at all, personally. Lost 50 lbs and about all I drank was Dt Dr Pepper.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Not in the least. I've lost over 70 pounds while drinking at least one diet soda almost every day.

Weight loss comes down to calories. How can a zero (or close to it) calorie drink make losing weight more difficult? It's the same as asking if drinking water makes weight loss more difficult. Diet soda is about 99.4% water, with bubbles and a little flavoring added.