Diet Drink Recommendations

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Does anyone find that diet soda makes losing weight more difficult?

Not in the least. I've lost over 70 pounds while drinking at least one diet soda almost every day.

Weight loss comes down to calories. How can a zero (or close to it) calorie drink make losing weight more difficult? It's the same as asking if drinking water makes weight loss more difficult. Diet soda is about 99.4% water, with bubbles and a little flavoring added.

Some people find that drinking diet soda increases their hunger signals, which can make adherence harder, mentally.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No, this wasn't my experience.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If anyone is still following this, I went to a restaurant today that had one of those Coke machines with 100+ flavors and tried several. I learned that after about 4 they pretty much start to taste the same. I settled on the grape diet Fanta which reminded me of childhood. Before I left, I filled my cup with caffeine free diet coke and sipped on it on the way home. After a while, the strange aftertaste started to fade and I kind of liked it. It's no Coke Zero but since they don't make one of those to my knowledge, this might be a good alternative when I don't want the caffeine.

Also, I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of these new flavor suggestions.

I love water and drink a lot of it, but this will really open up my options when my sweet tooth starts aching.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    have you tried the flavored diet cokes? they have feisty cherry,blood orange a mango one and a lime ginger one that taste pretty good. they also have caffeine free diet coke that isnt too bad. also look into your clear diet sodas as many of them dont have caffeine either. sprite zero is a good one. diet 7up and diet 7up cherry is ok too.
    Meh. I was eagerly looking forward to those new Diet Coke flavors, especially the blood orange and mango. Having tried them all, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Not as good as I hoped they'd be.

Me too! I was so super excited but they almost leave a "perfumy" aftertaste and I've tried all of them,I'll just stick to the regular diet coke
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I pretty much drink diet Dr Pepper every day. There is a caffeine free version although I have never had it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If anyone is still following this, I went to a restaurant today that had one of those Coke machines with 100+ flavors and tried several. I learned that after about 4 they pretty much start to taste the same. I settled on the grape diet Fanta which reminded me of childhood. Before I left, I filled my cup with caffeine free diet coke and sipped on it on the way home. After a while, the strange aftertaste started to fade and I kind of liked it. It's no Coke Zero but since they don't make one of those to my knowledge, this might be a good alternative when I don't want the caffeine.

Also, I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of these new flavor suggestions.

I love water and drink a lot of it, but this will really open up my options when my sweet tooth starts aching.

I had forgotten about those. My wife really likes the Grape Sprite Zero from those, although I wonder how many (if any) Calories the grape syrup has.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I had forgotten about those. My wife really likes the Grape Sprite Zero from those, although I wonder how many (if any) Calories the grape syrup has.

My understanding: for the "zero" drinks, they use sugarfree syrup so the calorie add should be very minimal.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Bai drinks are only 5-10 cals per drink and they’re my obsession
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero
    Bai sparking
    Water
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options

No. I didn't

And I never drank diet sodas at all until I started trying to lose weight - one of the first things I did was swap regular soda for diet version. No issues for me after doing that.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries some, I think they are called "Clear American" that come in lots of flavors. HEB has their own brand of "sweetened sparkling water beverage" that are also really good. Diet cherry 7-up And diet root beer are good too.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Aside fron Diet Pepsi, I really like the diet carbonated waters. Itcs kind of hard to find the good ones though, Target brand, and LaCroix are bitter and disgusting, but Walmart, Sunny Select, and Sparkling Ice are sweeter, without the minerally nastiness, and really good.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Have you tried Zevia? It's soda but sweetened with stevia so it doesnt have the same negative impact as other sweeteners. When I am craving something other than water, their Diet root beer hits the spot.

what negative impacts do other sweeteners have?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zevia? It's soda but sweetened with stevia so it doesnt have the same negative impact as other sweeteners. When I am craving something other than water, their Diet root beer hits the spot.

Nothing wrong with other artificial sweeteners that are most commonly used today

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Aside fron Diet Pepsi, I really like the diet carbonated waters. Itcs kind of hard to find the good ones though, Target brand, and LaCroix are bitter and disgusting, but Walmart, Sunny Select, and Sparkling Ice are sweeter, without the minerally nastiness, and really good.

Also, HyVee good, Aldi, bad on the carbonated waters. I am in most things a big fan of Aldi, but their artificially sweetened flavored waters are too sweet and taste more like fruit flavored bubblegum than anything else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

Also, HyVee good, Aldi, bad on the carbonated waters. I am in most things a big fan of Aldi, but their artificially sweetened flavored waters are too sweet and taste more like fruit flavored bubblegum than anything else.

well no hyvees here in my state and aldi waters I like some of them. some are nasty tasting.you cant say one store is bad and another good. thats just your opinion and preference.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Um, okay? OP asked for opinions and preferences, didn't she? In my experience, the Aldi waters are not good. Any of them.

The good part is if OP would like to see for herself, Aldi has a great return policy!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Um, okay? OP asked for opinions and preferences, didn't she? In my experience, the Aldi waters are not good. Any of them.

The good part is if OP would like to see for herself, Aldi has a great return policy!

yes just saying that to you they arent any good.for others they may like them. its something you have to try and see.many people like the walmart brand flavored waters(clearly american I think it is). to me I think they are gross and thats my experience with those same with the la croix ones. :)