Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    My coach writes my programming and my lifts are progressively increasing
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I’m doing juggernaut right now. I’m surprised it’s not on the initial list. I really like it.

It's been added. I never heard of it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Can I derail your thread and ask a question? I've been working SL 5X5 for over a year. I love it and am still progressing on the lifts. I tack on a couple extra lifts each workout (a little like ICF), because my New Year's resolution is to complete an unassisted pull-up. Anyway...when should I move to an intermediate program?

Oh my gosh! How far I've come in two years!!!

For all the flack I give you, you really are pretty impressive. Both in your job and what you've done in the gym.

God that's two nice things I've said to you today. What the hell is wrong with my snark function.....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited May 2018
    Can I derail your thread and ask a question? I've been working SL 5X5 for over a year. I love it and am still progressing on the lifts. I tack on a couple extra lifts each workout (a little like ICF), because my New Year's resolution is to complete an unassisted pull-up. Anyway...when should I move to an intermediate program?

Oh my gosh! How far I've come in two years!!!

For all the flack I give you, you really are pretty impressive. Both in your job and what you've done in the gym.

God that's two nice things I've said to you today. What the hell is wrong with my snark function.....

Awwww, HUGS!!! @Tacklewasher
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    I know it was mentioned in here before, but should the conjugate method be included as a training style, in the section with DUP?

I joined a conjugate gym just under a year ago, a few months after suffering a low back injury (L4/L5 herniation for those curious). Under guidance I recovered enough to compete in a state meet recently and put up similar numbers to before my injury despite dieting down ~25 lbs over 6 months.

I'm not claiming conjugate is the be all end all but it's working for me. For what it's worth I'm a raw, drug free powerlifter. Since a common criticism is that conjugate only works for geared/enhanced lifters.

If anyone has questions about the method I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    My coach writes my programming and my lifts are progressively increasing

Hey, lady! How are you? Been absent for about six months. I am back (we will see for how long! LOL!) How are your lifts progressing? Have you competed lately? Have plans for that in the near future?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »
    I know it was mentioned in here before, but should the conjugate method be included as a training style, in the section with DUP?

I joined a conjugate gym just under a year ago, a few months after suffering a low back injury (L4/L5 herniation for those curious). Under guidance I recovered enough to compete in a state meet recently and put up similar numbers to before my injury despite dieting down ~25 lbs over 6 months.

I'm not claiming conjugate is the be all end all but it's working for me. For what it's worth I'm a raw, drug free powerlifter. Since a common criticism is that conjugate only works for geared/enhanced lifters.

If anyone has questions about the method I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Awesome, man! I would love to hear your experiences with that method. I am a USAPL member, have not competed yet, keep on hurting myself (don't ask....E * G * O might just be the answer) and am just back in the gym after an extended absence.

I am 51, 6'0" at 210lbs but - at this period in time - not nearly as strong as I was before my latest injury. Mostly over-training type things....but the left bicep injury (not torn or anything, just really stressed and very tender) is getting better but I am hesitant to do the over/under grip in dead lifts (which I swore that I would never ever never ever do in this forum....but did....and then did exactly what I was a bit fearful of doing! How is that for a self-fulfilling prophecy?).

I would love to hear your general observations, hear about what you liked and what you did not like so much. And, yes - totally get that this is YOUR experience and that everyone is different. I still love to listen to people talk about their experiences.

So, open-ended question.....READY? Set! GO!!!!
  • RMaxwell90
    So, open-ended question.....READY? Set! GO!!!!

Well, you asked for it!
    Coincidentally the meet I competed in was a USAPL meet haha.

Functionally it works similar to how I believe PHUL works, with 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. One day is Max effort and one day is dynamic effort instead of power/hypertrophy. There's an additional accessory day to do extra work on your weak points and/or GPP (cardio
  • RMaxwell90
    Huh, it looks like it cut off like 2/3 of my post... Not sure how that happened...

Umm the cliff notes:

Pros:
    Exercises are rotated just about every week, this reduced overuse injuries quite a bit.

Overload with accommodating resistance (bands/chains) helped me maintain better technique with heavy weight at the meet.

Working with people critical about technique has helped a lot, we call each other out on not hitting depth, or slacking on accessory work.

Cons:
    Specificity is somewhat lacking.

The method would be difficult for a newer person to run without the help of a coach. A major theme is finding where you're weak and doing accessory work to address that.

Specialty bars are hard to come by in most gyms. However with just a set of bands plenty of variations are possible.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Specificity is somewhat key, right? You want to be an athlete, then you have to train like an athlete! I do not say that....someone else does but I am going to quote him. And, technique / queues / form is super important. Most of us miss that point. Including myself = at times. Usually, I have really good form. But, not always.
  • RMaxwell90
    All of us are guilty of letting technique slide occasionally I think, having people keep you accountable helps a lot though!

When I say specificity I mean that we almost never do like a straight bar, straight weight bench press with competition grip. However we do some close grip benching just about every week. The idea being if you're getting better at a variation, you're also getting better at the competition movements.

• akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    Is a total body workout included?
  • RMaxwell90
    Stronglifts, starting strength, the Texas method are all full body splits. I'm sure there are more on the list on the first page but those are the ones I'm aware of. Meaning you'll do multiple full body workouts each week.

I've also seen DUP used as a full body split before.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Following
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    :)
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Currently running through all the Sheiko phases which are each high volume and revolve around the squat, dead lift and bench press with only a few accessory lifts.
  • sliml40
    sliml40 Posts: 8 Member
    For later
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I haven't read through 35 pages, but has this ever been mentioned:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801/two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine/p1

My routine is based off it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am not a happy camper. Just found out my monthly subscription workout program will no longer be available soon. I have been doing it for so long and I really don't want to move on to anything else. I really like the 4 days a week, 3 days full body, 1 day lower body only. Sigh. Guess I am going to have to see what else is out there. :/
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am not a happy camper. Just found out my monthly subscription workout program will no longer be available soon. I have been doing it for so long and I really don't want to move on to anything else. I really like the 4 days a week, 3 days full body, 1 day lower body only. Sigh. Guess I am going to have to see what else is out there. :/

This might not be a bad thing (referencing your other post about body image)…...it is happening for a reason. A new window is going to be opened for you....this will be a God-send for you!

Happy 4th of July, Stephanie (I know, I know....you do not celebrate that North of the Border!). :-)