Narcissistic or not?

Replies

• ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Just do you pard.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I suspect a lot people don't actually want to see most people they know (or don't know) in various states of undress just for the sake of showing other people their body. It's one thing if you were going swimming with someone but that clearly isn't the case here. Also I agree with what Cherimoose said:
    If someone's main fitness goal is to improve their appearance, that tends to come across differently in photos than someone who's more concerned with functional improvements (strength, health, sports, etc).

I'm someone whose goals who has very functional goals. I want to bike faster, go up steeper hills, and bike for longer. There are people who I will talk to about cycling stuff and there are people who I won't. There are also people who I will talk to about classical music and people I won't talk to about that. If I were to tell my friends who don't care about cycling about some really awesome thing that I accomplished on my bike on a regular basis I can't imagine it would go over super well.

I think too that a lot of people don't actually care what other people look like. I only follow people on instagram as opposed to posting things, but I know I would quickly unfollow someone if they posted pictures of their physique on a regular basis.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    It would depend: if you were an arrogant twit in the rest of your life, I would think, "There's x being an arrogant twit again." Otherwise, I would be likely to think "Oh, x is doing well. "
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    You are posting a shirtless pic so people can see what you look like. I mean. To me that screams “look at me look at me!” But then again I guess Instagram is like that in general. It’s promoting a very narcissistic culture. Ps I have Instagram so I’m not trying to make it seem like I’m better than anyone.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    Ok so to help clarify. I am ok with people seeing the pictures, hence why I post them. I don’t post them for validation necessarily. I post them because working out is my hobby and I’m just proud of my hard work!

I know you don't@validation. Caring about their nonsensical thoughts in relation to your progress puts far too much emphasis on their negativity. My 2 cents.

I completely agree, I just never had the intent of displaying arrogance and it kinda makes me disappointed that my picture could display. I was just curious as to what someone generally thinks of a physique picture

I have noticed if you post a before fat picture then you can post any physique picture you want and people will only praise your success. It's when you just post physique pictures that people start criticizing. Isn't that weird/interesting. So my answer is post a before picture with every physique pic and you will only hear good things lol.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    You are posting a shirtless pic so people can see what you look like. I mean. To me that screams “look at me look at me!” But then again I guess Instagram is like that in general. It’s promoting a very narcissistic culture. Ps I have Instagram so I’m not trying to make it seem like I’m better than anyone.

Social media is narcissistic in general. It's about seeking/getting attention, be it through drama, controversy, shirtless pics, whatever. It's the crux of the Look At Me mentality.

Very true. Makes me want to delete all social media because I don’t want to be a part of it and so I can focus all my attention on more important things in life. but it does have its benefits like sharing pictures of my kids with family who don’t get to see them often.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I personally think it depends on the site on which you post it. On this site I think it's good. It can be motivational for others and everyone wants to celebrate each other's progress. I think posting it on other social media sites may come across as arrogant and "braggy" but do what you do and forget those that don't think you look great :)
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Do you think it would be obnoxious to show off your new Ferrari? and post pictures every time you wash it on a sunny afternoon?

Doing the same with a sporty body will get the same reactions from the same people.

ENVY.
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    There's little point in posting photos of the same Ferrari over and over. It's not as though the car is going to get more beautiful with time. Not to mention that it's basically a vapid status symbol.

Human beings can and do make progress with their bodies, though. Not to mention that improving one's body is beneficial both socially and for functional performance.

Exactly this, a well built physique isn’t the same as a material possession. It reflects hard work and dedication and even mental determination. It could be worse, I could be posting duck face selfies... lol. Completely a joke, if you like duck face selfies, I apologize haha
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I have never understood why it's okay to brag about just about anything except the progress you make with your body (after a certain point. You can get away with posting "I lost 20 pounds!" as long as you are still visibly overweight.) People post pictures of their kids, their houses, their cars, graduation photos, new baby, etc., but if you are proud of what you did in the gym, you are a narcissist. Drives me crazy. And it doesn't just apply to flexing in front of the mirror poses. I've had friends get all bent out of shape when I posted a picture of a new pole or silks move I was proud to have finally achieved.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    There's little point in posting photos of the same Ferrari over and over. It's not as though the car is going to get more beautiful with time. Not to mention that it's basically a vapid status symbol.

Human beings can and do make progress with their bodies, though. Not to mention that improving one's body is beneficial both socially and for functional performance.
    Is it actually a benefit socially? I would argue that that while it might be for one segment of people, it isn't for a very large section. His weight and physique are presumably not effecting his ability to be a social human.

Functionally? maybe but that's very dependent on what one's functional wants and needs are. I mean he's presumably not actually showing pictures of himself doing things other than standing. No pictures running, biking, climbing, not doing something functional that clearly takes a fair amount of strength and/or flexibility. Standing.

As an aside, if someone were posting pictures of their Ferrari over and over again I would assume that it was essentially a "look how much money I have!" sort of thing.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    FYI - involvement in most social media platforms implies a certain amount of narcissism and ego. It requires an inherent assumption/belief that people are interested in you.

Posting any picture of yourself is ego-driven and narcissistic behavior unless it's a group picture that you're trying to share with others or something or unless it's posted for any other specific purpose than "look at me".
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Not saying I endorse, but I thought the timing of this showing up in my twitter feed was amusing.
  • Gngr09
    Gngr09 Posts: 743 Member
    Why do some individuals perceive one to be a tool for posting a physique picture? I am proud of my own progress and most people are supportive. However, some people always think I’m egotistical or arrogant for doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

keep posting them, I'm totally ok with it LOL :)
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2018
    most narcissists won't question whether or not they are a narcissist. i'd tend to think a narcissist would love the reaction they would get from anyone whether it's negative or positive and would just love the fact that they are the topic and the main focus of conversation. everyone has a small bit of narcissism. it's the full blown narcissistic people you have to look out for.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

How much noticeable progress do you think a lifter makes in a day or even a week? The reason we take progress pics and compare them months apart is that it becomes impossible to see a day to day difference. So, just like that Ferrari - posting dozens of updates every week has the same effect as that guy posting pics of his car over and over... it's not like there has been significant change. ;)