The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    @_F9_ Happy Anniversarry! <3
  • StepUpToTheChallenge
    StepUpToTheChallenge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    my5ive wrote: »
    Hmm, well I guess this is my group LOL!! Hello everyone!!! I'm married, a mom of 5, and a full-time student at Penn State online. Busy doesn't even come close to describing my life right now. Feel free to add me I could use all the health-driven vibes I can get. :)

Hello and welcome. Thank you for continuing to work on your degree. I can relate a little. I am a full time worker and I am also a full time student at The University of Kentucky.

• StepUpToTheChallenge
    StepUpToTheChallenge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    _F9_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm 36, married for 14 years today :smiley: and some significant weight to lose. feel free to add me

YAY!!! Congrats

• SorrowfulRaven81
    SorrowfulRaven81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody 36 and from Scotland, need to shift the weight now want to look sexy before I hit 40 feel free to add me xxx
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hey everybody 36 and from Scotland, need to shift the weight now want to look sexy before I hit 40 feel free to add me xxx

Welcome aboard to flight to crazy town. We are a fun bunch of people. We'll give you motivation, encouragement and if needed an occasional kick in the *kitten*
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    dblbbl88 wrote: »
    Good Morning!!

@RandJ6280 I'm sure you also have a nice butt!!

lol, I wish, actually I have a flat butt... guess it's time to squat

Dude, squats are - for most - more of a quad-dominant exercise. Even squeezing like a madman at the top....there are better "glute-focused" exercises that you can do.

Deadlifts, for one. But, likely the most glute-focused is the hip thrusts. Yeppers! I do them. I am the only dude in the gym that does them.....but who cares! I am 51 and have a fantastic backside. And, for good reason! The chicks always comment on my *kitten*. Just saying....

Damn, here I've been doing squats hoping for a better *kitten* myself.......Hip thrusts it is from now on :)

Don't get me wrong.....squats are a great great great exercise. Second only to dead lifts (well, in my book...everyone is different). So, continue to do the squats. Maybe try the hip thrusters and see how you like them.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Dude, squats are - for most - more of a quad-dominant exercise. Even squeezing like a madman at the top....there are better "glute-focused" exercises that you can do.

Deadlifts, for one. But, likely the most glute-focused is the hip thrusts. Yeppers! I do them. I am the only dude in the gym that does them.....but who cares! I am 51 and have a fantastic backside. And, for good reason! The chicks always comment on my *kitten*. Just saying....

haha, dude, you're killing me. That is funny. But on a serious note - I have heard that for glute development you need to squat and deadlift. I'm 55 and have no *kitten*.... but if you say it works for me....let the hip thrusters begin.

giphy.gif

Continue with the squats and dead lifts. They are AMAZING compound movements. I would suggest, the best two - period.

But, for specifically glute-focused work I think that you would be very hard pressed to find a movement that targets the glutes better than hip-thrusts. Granted, there are a lot of "right answers" here. I mean, you can do the Bulgarian Split Squat with your front foot a bit further from the bench (which would target your hammies | glutes....whereas if your front foot was closer to the bench then that would stress the quads). Try that movement as well.

It is all about finding what works best for you. We are all different. It is all a mystery until you experiment. ENJOY!
  • my5ive
    my5ive Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    _F9_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm 36, married for 14 years today :smiley: and some significant weight to lose. feel free to add me

Happy Anniversary!!!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Hey hey hey! Hello to everyone! Winston-Salem, NC greets you all!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Welcome aboard! I would suggest to you that things start at 40. My best year ever was 45.....was running 13 miles in 75 minutes, could bench 340lbs (at 192lbs) and and and. Energy all day long. Now I am 51 and take out the stupid injuries (don't ask.....) never been better. Shoot, just ask me! I will tell y'all! LOL!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Damn, here I've been doing squats hoping for a better *kitten* myself.......Hip thrusts it is from now on :)

I used to do them. I will have to go back to do them on the days I don't have my trainer. I think that would make him uncomfortable. I shall stick to deadlifts and kickbacks with him. :D

How do you pull? Sumo or Conventional? And, it is a really good idea to stick with what your trainer programs for you. Maybe just nudge him a little bit into adding hip thrusts into your program?
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Don't get me wrong.....squats are a great great great exercise. Second only to dead lifts (well, in my book...everyone is different). So, continue to do the squats. Maybe try the hip thrusters and see how you like them.

Thanks brother.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Thanks brother.

Always glad to help, man! Always glad to help.
  • jyarring
    jyarring Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi all - new to the group...I will be 50 later this year -- married with two elementary aged boys -- in good shape but still want to lose that hard to lose 15 lbs...try to stay on track with MFP but it gets tough and I fall off sometimes...I do well with keeping active and exercise almost daily.
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    Ok all, time to leave the full time job, rush home jump into my Super-Power (sans the cape) Scrubs .. .and off to the ER for fun and excitement.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Thanks for the tips!!!! :):)
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good evening peeps! Hope you all had a great day!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jyarring wrote: »
    Hi all - new to the group...I will be 50 later this year -- married with two elementary aged boys -- in good shape but still want to lose that hard to lose 15 lbs...try to stay on track with MFP but it gets tough and I fall off sometimes...I do well with keeping active and exercise almost daily.

Welcome. I'm 52 with two grown up daughters and a teen aged son, plus one grandson. Keep up the exercise. I do a lot better with my food than my activity.
  • briancandler1276
    briancandler1276 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some adds. I am 41 y/o guy down 65# since 7/31/2017 and I am a new runner also, I run 4-5 days a week for around 3 miles. I started running last July also, would love some adds!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    jyarring wrote: »

Feel free to add me. I am 55 and agree that I gets tough at times. Let's fight the good fight together.