It’s all about calorie deficit, got it! But....

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It sounds like thyroid and as Lyrica7 stated above, further testing may be required.
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Update on meal service! I’ve only done two of the meals so far but they are shockingly accurate.

First one was stated as 800 calories per serving. I omitted the walnuts (just preference) and mine was 784 per serving after weighing everything. If I included the walnuts it would have been 854.

Second was stated as 570 per serving and after weighing everything mine came to 574 per serving.

I did gain 0.4 again this week and I’m realizing I ate out a bit more than usual this week. I can’t avoid eating out due to my job (lots of working lunches and business meetings) but since the reported calories could be WAY off the actual I’m thinking of logging my meals as multiple. Meaning if I eat one restaurant meal I’ll find it on MFP and log it as 1.5 or maybe even 2 servings. Thoughts?

I feel like I MUST be logging wrong and if the meal service isn’t to blame it HAS TO be the restaurant meals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    Update on meal service! I’ve only done two of the meals so far but they are shockingly accurate.

First one was stated as 800 calories per serving. I omitted the walnuts (just preference) and mine was 784 per serving after weighing everything. If I included the walnuts it would have been 854.

Second was stated as 570 per serving and after weighing everything mine came to 574 per serving.

I did gain 0.4 again this week and I’m realizing I ate out a bit more than usual this week. I can’t avoid eating out due to my job (lots of working lunches and business meetings) but since the reported calories could be WAY off the actual I’m thinking of logging my meals as multiple. Meaning if I eat one restaurant meal I’ll find it on MFP and log it as 1.5 or maybe even 2 servings. Thoughts?

I feel like I MUST be logging wrong and if the meal service isn’t to blame it HAS TO be the restaurant meals.

gaining fat or water weight though? even if the calories are right, you will probably gain weight from a couple of restaurant meals due to the amount of sodium
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    How big is your paper deficit? How long have you been dieting or cutting?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming grains and sugars? I would look into some intermittent fasting and a primal type diet. High fat/ protein and low carb. Read 21 day keto reset by Mark Sisson and Primal Blueprint.
    Also DR Jason Fung - Fasting

so much no...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Foods like grains, sugar and soy may not be bad for the majority of the population but there are many who do have problems digesting them. Please just because you are fortunate enough not to have an issue with these foods do not assume everyone else on this planet are much less fortunate.

Insulin is much easier to control if you do not over indulge in added sugar products. Not needing as much insulin results in the endocrine system needing to work less hard. experience
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    Hi, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've been doing some maths, and I really don't think you're eating as little as you think you are. I've gone back to the 22nd of April (an arbitrary amount of just over a month) and your statement of eating between 1200 -1300 a day is just not accurate. This may be your problem.

Here are the numbers for you:

Total days: 33
    - Only 13 days counted under 1300, that's less than 40% total days.
    - 3 of these were under 1000 kcal and I somewhat doubt that they're completely accurate.
    - 4 of the days when you were between 1100 and 1300 you logged meals eaten out (or takeout).*
    - 4 days (12%) of your days were over 1700 with 2 of those days were over 2100
    - 4 days were unlogged. I assume these were bad days (because they're the ones I'm bad at logging).

*Personally I find MFP tends to underestimate meals out, from what I would expect, so I don't take these numbers as accurate.

I hope that these hard numbers help you realise your problem. You are eating many more calories than you think. Having the occasional off day from your target should be fine, but you're having more than the occasional day off. Out of the 33 days you're over your MFP target 9 times, that's about twice a week (and that's not counting the non logged days). And remember that eating out probably has more calories than you're accounting for. In addition I don't see anything like condements or frying oil or anything like that. They may only seem like a little bit here and there, but a blob of mayo or ketchup adds up.

Hope this helps you out.

Thank you! I guess my biggest problem is just eating more than I remember (selective memory hahah).

Going forward I’ll try harder to stick to my goal intake, not eating any exercise calories back, and I need to objectively over-log restaurant foods since MFP underestimates.

Thanks all! I think this case is closed!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Fat adapted is more like it, the typical person who says they are doing “keto” is really trying to keep insulin levels down. If you do that then fat storage stays at a minimum. Insulin was an adaptation to humans due to agriculture. We weren’t designed to eat grains and bread and candy and coke. Insulin takes the toxic glucose from the blood and stores it as fat. Limit the insulin and you minimize fat storage.
    Eat a diet high in good fats, olive and avacado oil, lots of veggies, throw in good heavy cream in your coffee and avoid sugar. Good meats without hormones and antibiotics.
    All of this leads to a healthy body and optimum body weight and composition.

If someone is eating in a deficit, there will be no fat storage. Also in a surplus, sufficient carbs are very important and spiked insulin can actually help muscle growth under proper conditions (strength training, adequate protein etc). Not to mention how great they are for workout performance, prevention of protein breakdown and recovery.

Carbs have actually helped me achieve a healthy body and body composition. ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Fat adapted is more like it, the typical person who says they are doing “keto” is really trying to keep insulin levels down. If you do that then fat storage stays at a minimum. Insulin was an adaptation to humans due to agriculture. We weren’t designed to eat grains and bread and candy and coke. Insulin takes the toxic glucose from the blood and stores it as fat. Limit the insulin and you minimize fat storage.
    Eat a diet high in good fats, olive and avacado oil, lots of veggies, throw in good heavy cream in your coffee and avoid sugar. Good meats without hormones and antibiotics.

Is that what Fung teaches people? He needs to get his MD revoked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You do not understand insulin and the roll of insulin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

That toxic glucose is what your body runs on, even if you don't comsume it. It produces it through glucenogenesis.. its a process that converts fatty acids and amino acids into glucoe since really only your brain can run on ketones.

Also, take into consideration that the healthiest and longest living societies are all consuming 70-80% carbs; and even more so, considering fats store as fat easier and carbs rarely store as body fats as shown in multiple de novo lipogenesis studies, I'd suggest that you do more research from unbiased sources.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Op, as you become more lean, being consistent is even more important. Its possible that those work lunches and dinners are really impacting you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    maybe you have metobolic damage..where your basal metabolic rate is lower due to extreme dieting. only building muscle can fix that. i just read about it on the scoby website.