Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    LSmith0018 wrote: »
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Do you judge people who keep a handcuff key on their keychain?
    I don’t judge people. I simply profile.

As in racial profile? :o

Criminal profile.

I was actually kidding but it does happen. I was once pulled over and my son was in the passenger side next to me and the officer immediately asked for his ID as well as mine. Not sure why as I was the one driving and not him but I just got a racist vibe from the dude. Maybe he thought we were illegal or something. That's always an assumption where I live. I hate it.

I ID everyone in the car, every time. A traffic stop is considered an investigation and I have the right to ID everyone in the car. I find a lot of warrants that way.

Arent you only allowed to ask for ID if a person has committed or is suspected of committing a crime?

You can ask anyone anything. Depending on the scenario the individual can just refuse to provide that information. If however as you put it “is part of that investigative stop” they refuse to provide the information then they are subject to being arrested for “resist, delay and obstruction” charges.

I don't see one good reason to ID every passenger in a vehicle for a routine traffic stop as our OP stated is his MO. He blatantly admitted to finding many warrants that way, but unless the person in question has committed or is suspected of committing a crime and not just a passenger in a vehicle or walking down the street freely... you can ask, but they are not required by law to provide you that information. If you arrested them at this point, would that not be an unlawful arrest?

Exactly. You’re correct.

To require that information be provided it has to part of constitutional detention “stop”. But you can ask all you want. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Make sense

I think it's so important to know your rights because there are plenty of "bully" cops out there and intimidate people into doing things or answering questions they don't really have to. I'm a law abiding American citizen and so is my son so we had no problem with him showing his ID even though he was a passenger only. But deep down, I think it was a racial thing. *shrugs*
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

Criminal profile.

I was actually kidding but it does happen. I was once pulled over and my son was in the passenger side next to me and the officer immediately asked for his ID as well as mine. Not sure why as I was the one driving and not him but I just got a racist vibe from the dude. Maybe he thought we were illegal or something. That's always an assumption where I live. I hate it.

I ID everyone in the car, every time. A traffic stop is considered an investigation and I have the right to ID everyone in the car. I find a lot of warrants that way.

Arent you only allowed to ask for ID if a person has committed or is suspected of committing a crime?

You can ask anyone anything. Depending on the scenario the individual can just refuse to provide that information. If however as you put it “is part of that investigative stop” they refuse to provide the information then they are subject to being arrested for “resist, delay and obstruction” charges.

I don't see one good reason to ID every passenger in a vehicle for a routine traffic stop as our OP stated is his MO. He blatantly admitted to finding many warrants that way, but unless the person in question has committed or is suspected of committing a crime and not just a passenger in a vehicle or walking down the street freely... you can ask, but they are not required by law to provide you that information. If you arrested them at this point, would that not be an unlawful arrest?

I do see your point but if there is a warrant out for their arrest, haven't they already committed the crime and therefore arrest is warranted? I would have no problem providing my ID if asked in that situation because I know I haven't done anything wrong and I would feel safer knowing they are doing their best to get those off the streets that should be.

So guilty before proven innocent
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Tbh I've been waiting my whole life for an opportunity to make a citizen's arrest but it's never happened

Might be time to take matters into your own hands ;)
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Are badge bunnies a thing?

This is a good question though. If a guy, even a cute fit guy, started a thread called Ask An Assistant Manager Of An Auto Parts Store - would he have gotten this kind of response, especially from so many ladies?

Well, no, because this thread clearly is ask THE cop. Not some random cop.

I will say that this thread has caused me to talk about more cop stuff than I have my previous two years here.

That's because I used to think you weren't a real cop. I thought you were a stripper cop. :confounded:

No Mel it’s because I’ve done this job a long time and I don’t like to talk about some of the stuff I’ve seen. I try to be a normal guy with y’all. I like that I can do that here. In my real life I can’t relax the same way as I do here.

Something's can't be unseen. That must be one of the toughest part of the jobs. Ever dated anyone you've stopped/arrested? Ever had a woman flirt her way out of trouble?

I have dated people that I’ve encountered while working yes. I have not dated anyone I’ve arrested. I’ve had anything you can think of offered to me to get out of being arrested.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

This is a good question though. If a guy, even a cute fit guy, started a thread called Ask An Assistant Manager Of An Auto Parts Store - would he have gotten this kind of response, especially from so many ladies?

I will say that this thread has caused me to talk about more cop stuff than I have my previous two years here.

That's because I used to think you weren't a real cop. I thought you were a stripper cop. :confounded:

No Mel it’s because I’ve done this job a long time and I don’t like to talk about some of the stuff I’ve seen. I try to be a normal guy with y’all. I like that I can do that here. In my real life I can’t relax the same way as I do here.

Something's can't be unseen. That must be one of the toughest part of the jobs. Ever dated anyone you've stopped/arrested? Ever had a woman flirt her way out of trouble?

ever use your cuffs while "off duty"?

Yes!
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

Criminal profile.

Exactly. You’re correct.

To require that information be provided it has to part of constitutional detention “stop”. But you can ask all you want. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Make sense

I didn't think I could respect you more C... I tip my hat to you good sir.
    xo
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I have dated people that I’ve encountered while working yes. I have not dated anyone I’ve arrested. I’ve had anything you can think of offered to me to get out of being arrested.

Who was it offered you the Novel Prize for Literature? I bet it was Alice Munro!
  • PAFC84
    Options
    Tbh I've been waiting my whole life for an opportunity to make a citizen's arrest but it's never happened

Might be time to take matters into your own hands ;)

I'll set up my own sting operation

Start wearing a superhero costume and hanging out in seedy areas
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Have you been called to any alien abduction scenes?
    Have you seen any ufos?

Yes

Yes, you've been called to an alien abduction or yes, you've seen a UFO or both

I’ve seen what was an UFO to me. And I’ve been called to investigate ufo/aliens but those seemed to be all mental subjects having an episode.

• PAFC84
    Options
    Have you ever encountered someone fighting crime in a superhero costume?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    So are you secretive in your real life about being a cop?

A lot of cops i’ve met don’t really tell people they’re cops. Do you do that as well? Not a judgement question just wondering

There is a lot of distaste for blue these days is all

I don’t hide it but I don’t advertise it either.

I was on SWAT for 10 years and 4 years assigned to our gang unit. I’m very well known by the ones that would want to hurt me.
  • strwbry74
    strwbry74 Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    strwbry74 wrote: »
    is it hard to remember what all the police codes mean?

They can differ from department to department.

It becomes second language.

Very very true. are you in Leo?

Yes... Supervisor over multi-agency 911/dispatch center. Law, EMS and Fire.... busy girl here :wink:
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Have you been called to any alien abduction scenes?
    Have you seen any ufos?

Yes

Yes, you've been called to an alien abduction or yes, you've seen a UFO or both

And was anyone wearing a tin foil hat when you got there?

Lmao. No thank goodness.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Criminal profile.

Exactly. You’re correct.

I think it's so important to know your rights because there are plenty of "bully" cops out there and intimidate people into doing things or answering questions they don't really have to. I'm a law abiding American citizen and so is my son so we had no problem with him showing his ID even though he was a passenger only. But deep down, I think it was a racial thing. *shrugs*

I hope not. Hugs
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    So are you secretive in your real life about being a cop?

A lot of cops i’ve met don’t really tell people they’re cops. Do you do that as well? Not a judgement question just wondering

There is a lot of distaste for blue these days is all

I don’t hide it but I don’t advertise it either.

I was on SWAT for 10 years and 4 years assigned to our gang unit. I’m very well known by the ones that would want to hurt me.

I dated an undercover for a bit of time and I was never allowed to know what he was up to, unless he was sick and on desk duty. Gosh, the scruff he could get during those times. I was not a fan but that was his choice of career and I supported him. I def give props to not just law enforcement but those whom date them.