June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My goal is 100 miles and consistent strength training workouts.

Upcoming Races:
    6/10/18 Manitowoc Half Marathon
    6/23/18 Five Fifty Fifty Run for Mental Health
    7/4/18 Antioch Run for Freedom 5K
    7/29/18 Cudahy Classic 10 miles
    8/18/18 Madison Mini Half Marathon
    9/16/18 North Face Endurance 10k
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My June running goal: 75 Miles

All treadmill as running outside is brutal in the desert. Today hit 108°.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@katharmonic - I think @BruinsGal_91 is also running the JP Morgan Challenge!

Unfortunately not the same one I am. I think she's Boston and I'm Syracuse. It's a series in 13 different cities.

@Scott6255 thanks so much. Not really planning to race it this time I don't think, more of enjoyable long run with friends. We'll see what happens that day though! And I hope your shin feels better.

Welcome to all the new people! Glad to have you join in and good luck meeting your goals this month.

@ariceroni welcome back! Exciting goal to run Chicago and qualify for Boston! I will be rooting for you and I look forward to hearing how your training goes. Of course I won't be directly comparing my training with the goal of merely surviving 26.2 miles to your speedy goal, but will be interested to see how you and everyone else here progresses through marathon training this summer.

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    June goal 80km again. Easing into marathon training, probably will look for a race mid or late November. Other goals, get on a trail at least twice. Cycle 200km. Strength training twice a week. Let's see how this goes.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Put me down for 300 miles. It's gonna be a long sweaty month.

In this Texas summer heat you are a madman @garygse. But I give you all the props in the world for going for it!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic @shanaber Yup, I'm running Boston on the 21st. Got a few friends running Syracuse though. It's always way too crowded for a PB, so I'm just aiming to beat last year's time.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

In this Texas summer heat you are a madman @garygse. But I give you all the props in the world for going for it!

There's a reason why all my runs happen before the sun comes up!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni - Good luck with Chicago. It's kind of halfway on my bucket list, but not this year and not 2019. If I have a good race at Wineglass, the bucket list will include both New York and Chicago, so I can say I ran the 3 World Marathon Majors that I don't need a passport to get to.

Lately I haven't been very good at guessing how many miles I'll run in a month. Achieving the goal of staying healthy in May meant missing my nominal mileage goal. So, this month's guess . . .

Nominal June mileage goal: 160 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Survive 4 races scheduled in June, 2 of them outside my comfort zone. Start training toward Wineglass.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    200 miles for the month of June (Yes, my goal every month) Hope to go over, just taking one day at a time...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Day one of winter down and the first run of the month done: yesterday's 10k - a day late and a smidge short!

1 June: 9.77

Total, 9.77 of an ambitious 150km for the month

Upcoming events
    17 June, Xterra Trail Run, 11km +/- 200m
    8 July, Xterra Trail Run, 12.1km
    29 July, Xterra Trail Run, 12.5km
    19 August, Xterra Trail Run, 11km
    25 August Mt Maunganui Half
    9 September, Xterra Trail Run, 13.2km
    29 October, either Auckland Half or Queenstown Half, can't decide!!!
    17 November, Kerikeri Half or Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km (undecided here too)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

There's a reason why all my runs happen before the sun comes up!

Speaking of running before the sun comes up - This is my first summer as a runner and I'm starting to realize why Memphis is one of the most obese cities in America. Both of the running trails I go to - the Greenline and the Greenway near Johnson Park - are illegal to run on except during daylight hours. In fact most parks here are illegal to be in except in daylight.

As for running on roads, the sidewalks are not kept up (plus frequent stretches with no sidewalks at all) and drivers are not pedestrian friendly - I read an article a while back about the odds of being hit as a pedestrian in different cities across the US, and we are statistically one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians and cyclists.

Near the Greenline bike trail, on a main road entering the most heavily trafficked thoroughfare through the city, the city has made a token effort to be bike friendly by adding a bike lane, but as per usual they kittened it all up - it wasn't possible to widen the road, and one section is too narrow for two lanes plus bikes, so there's a stretch about 200 yards long where the bike lane merges into the right hand traffic lane. So it's a marked bike lane, the law says drivers have to stay three feet away from it, but drivers are also supposed to drive in it. This was understandably confusing, so further up the road drivers kept driving over the cyclists, to the point that the city, in order to avoid being sued by flattened cyclists for tempting them into thinking Poplar avenue was a sane or safe place to be, added narrow, waist high metal poles blocking the bikes from the traffic. The poles are almost invisible in certain lighting conditions, but will really mess up your car if you drive into them, which apparently people do on a regular basis since they are heavily bent and dented.

It's not surprising that a town which makes it nearly impossible to exercise is full of fat people.

I hate running indoors so I'm going to be stuck with the heat of very early morning at the parks, or the broken sidewalks near our home.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Back to running after a long, lazy in hot weather, one month gap. My goal for June is 50 km. And keeping up with the 10k training program.

June Running Challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 3/50 km

1/6/18 Run 3 km