WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Rye -I'm so sorry you had some a bad interaction with the woman. I hope you are able to get her out of your mind and get some sleep.

Michelle - My mother's Dr. told her to only use cream, to never use anything labeled as lotion. The other ladies coconut oil suggestion sounds like a good one.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Totally forgot to say thank you! I am ever grateful to have found this group of amazing women.

Becky, Lenora: A good thought for both your procedures to be painless, quick and completely successful.

Rye: You already got good advice on the lady in question, anything I have to say would be less polite, and more stroppy, so I'll hush. My full sympathy on the not sleeping, though. Your night-worry mind will work over anything that's bothering you at all and turn it into a full-blown disaster, when in reality, she probably satisfied her need to abuse someone else by lighting into you, and won't carry it further. Even if she does, any hospital president worth her salt will send a memo saying, "don't turn the lights off early," and it will be done and dusted.

Speaking of realities, Corey and I had to face some realities this weekend that were a little tough to swallow--the mountainside home we both have dreamed of for so long is not rationally a place where we should live as we age. We found it, it was beautiful, and so loved by the people who live there. And no, sorry, I didn't take pictures. They're contemplating selling because of his health issues (stroke and subsequent open-heart surgery), and I just happened to meet them at another house-the one where we put in an offer that went to someone else. Just to paint their mountain house takes a 40-foot extension ladder. And after my own husband's fall and shattered wrists, and Machka's husband's fall... that takes on nightmarish proportions.

And health issues, while not inevitable for us, are definitely something we have to keep in mind. Add that to the fact that there were stairs everywhere... and both of us with bad knees... yeah, we're going to have to compromise that dream. And we've done the isolation bit, living on a ranch 45 minutes from everything. My tolerance is limited, I need people a bit more than Corey does, and as I work from home, would be seriously people-deprived within a year or two.

Don't you hate it when reality intrudes on a really great dream?

Ah well... as that truly annoying song says, trying to "let it go... let it go."

Looking at two more this evening, a Victorian-style farmhouse, all on one level and in town, that we want to get ideas from, and a more prosaic home sitting on a few acres outside of town. The Victorian doesn't have enough land with it, the other does... and probably not going to offer for either one right now. Already told Corey, after these two, I'm done for awhile. We have ten more months 'til our lease is up, and this is more stress than I need right this minute.

Off to the races,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I hear you on needing people when you work from home! When the hub and I lived in Shanghai, he went in to the factory or office every day and I worked from the apartment. By the end of the day, I needed to get out and see people, even if it was at a restaurant. It was other humans. We had one place that was our home away from home where we knew all the employees and could sit and visit. He went on a couple of short business trips where I stayed behind and I would go to the restaurant before it was busy to have a quick bite and visit with people.

Okie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    b]michelle I’ve got excezma-mild case on my elbows and I have had success with Cera-V products-they have a variety of creams, lotions etc. I also tried coconut oil but it didn’t work for me. Hope it does for you cause it is an inexpensive choice

I joined a NYSC chain, DD came with me running 3 miles while I climbed on the treadmill. I’ll let you know what my routine will be for strength training once I meet with the trainer as part of joining up.
    Rye so sorry you were treated so badly. Give it no more power over you.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I went to sleep last night at 5 last night I was beat...and woke up for about an hour and then back to sleep until 5:30. Feel much better..pouring rain today...so glad I'm working.
    Heather -have a wonderful time on your cruise...
    Rebecca and Lenora best wishes for speedy recovery..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Michele- I too have dry (drier) elbows, if I don't stay on the moisturizing. I use whatever thick lotion or balm I have. Best stuff I have used is shea butter or bag balm. I put it on after washing/shower at night and I cover my well lotioned elbows with socks. Yes, socks. I just use a pair of my no show sports socks; cut the toe out and slide them up my arm to cover my elbows and sleep with them on. For me, my elbows are at their worst in the winter. I am sure the drier air is one issue; but because my skin is covered in the winter, I also slack off on my moisturizing during that season. Good luck! Hope you get some relief!
    Rye- I am so sorry you are dealing with a PITA patron! I am sure, your supervisors understand that this was an accident and not your fault at all. When some one calls in while I am in the locker room, I always call back. Although having a "worst customer" contest sounds fun; in the age of social media, I wouldn't advise it. There have been quite a few posts of contests like this going viral on social media and it always ends up with the employees getting fired. Chalk it up to a "it takes all kinds..." of experience.
    Heather- As a current non-pet owner, I find people who have pets fascinating! I grew up with pets in the house and as a child shared my bed, my food, my chairs, etc. with my dog. I somehow became very intolerant of pet hair in my home, though. I haven't had a pet as an adult, but I sweep up a LOT of dog and cat hair that comes in on the shoes and clothes of my daycare kids. I also get kind of pissy when dog walkers allow their dogs to poo in my yard and don't pick it up! I would love to have a dog; but if I do, he will have to abide by my rules. My daughter says that my rules will go out the window once I get a dog. (I don't think so)

Well ladies, I did nothing that required being on my feet for long periods of time over the weekend! I got my paperwork done, I shopped for groceries and got a little food prep done, I cleaned the house, but other than that, I pretty much just sat and watched movies or read. It must have been what I needed. My body aches are pretty much gone, and the congestion has lessened and I can breathe through my nose again! (insert Halleluiah chorus here) This morning at 10am the link for the grant I want goes up; I have my proposal all written, so I am hoping to submit that while the kids nap.

ooops! Kids here early?! Better scoot! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Monday -- lots of walking as usual, some flights of stairs, and a quick ride inside ...

Distance -- 3.89km
    Elevation -- 66m
    Moving Time -- 15:11
    Elapsed Time -- 15:31

Avg | Max
    Speed - 15.4km/h | 46.1km/h
    Heart Rate - 135bpm | 162bpm
    Cadence - 82 | 110
    Power - 84W | 157W

Machka in Oz
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I think what I dread the most about the procedures is the 'liquid diet', sticking needles in my arm; because there is so much scar tissue in my right main vein, and the ones on my left tend to flatten and roll. I tell the phlebotomist she has 2 tries - her first and her last and 'no digging around'. I had to take 9 weeks of chemotherapy for a Hydatidiformole pregnancy and 5 tubes drawn every Friday for it to be sent to Duke University since they had a lab that tested the blood. I usually come out of the lab with 2 bandages.

The legos are magnificent. At our library they have several that have been built and the most magnificent if the one made is the shape of the glob with each country on it.

Today my BFF is supposed to come get me for lunch and then doing whatever I need to do, such as running errands. I don't have to go to the grocery store of to GNC because I am leaving that to Louis. He forgot the list; but, it can wait

Heather - When we lived in Macon; we had a neighbor who did the same thing about pooping in our yard; and, being younger and more 'pissy' - I gathered it up in a baggie and took it and put in on their doorstep when I knew she'd be gone during the day. She started walking a different path after about a week of this. And I could see her walking the dog and letting him do his business in any job along the way. Louis could not believe it; but, with children who could play in the front yard in the grass would sometimes end up stepping in it and I'd have to take off their shoes and wash them. We had a small patch of grasss in the back, where there swing set was put. The back was ah la natural. We still had our first beagle and she would follow Will around the perimeter of the fence. It went downhill and even being up on the upper deck I couldn't see him unless he was dressed in colored overalls. Trey would not venture off except to play on the swing set or on the two decks we had in because our home was a split level. But, one thing that Trey did when he was still in a crib was taking off his diaper and covering the Jennie Lynn bed with his poop covering every spindle. My biggest mistake was not going to check on his when I knew he had woken up from his nap and thinking I will leave him there until I finished cleaning the kitchen. I never left him up after a nap. I liked the 2-story and split level homes we lived in; but, Louis hated the steps. But he wasn't the one going up and down them, other to walk the 6 down to get to his car.'

We bought the house after it was 'framed up' and then found out that we had water flowing into the carport and called the builder and he said he'd fix it. He did nothing to fix it until we took him to court. Then it took 5x of digging up the foundation to put down rocks and black tubing to carry the water away. After the court session he was ordered to do whatever was necessary to fix it so we could 'sell it'. Besides digging up around the entire foundation outside, he also had to dig up the inside where the crawl space was and the dig up and put in 4 drains up in the front yard which slopped up from the house. I got down on my hands and knees when 8 month pregnant to dig up and replant my petunias and thanfully all my daffadils were planted out under a grouping of mayhaw trees and had a rock fence around them. My petunias were very big and went down the front of the garage.

Need to call my MD's office and make sure, since I am going to be kept in the office after the LINX procedure (or two) to make sure they order a Cpap for me and to tell my GYN's nurse that I won't need for them to test my blood, xray my chest, or do an EKG so I will know that the surgeons will get the results. Since my GYN's office is a private one, nobody can get into my records like they can get into the hospital's records.

Chow!
    Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Michele pure shea butter that you get a a coop or health store might help. I use this on my feet and never have dry cracked feet.
    I have been googling how to boost your DHEA naturally. Here are some tips: "DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is one of the critical hormones that scientists are calling the `fountain of youth.` This hormone is made from cholesterol by the adrenal glands and is a precursor to 18 steroid hormones including the commonly known sex hormones estrogen and testosterone. Healthy DHEA production is critical for lean muscle development, fat burning, bone growth, skin health, and immunity...An anti-inflammatory diet is a critical part to de-stressing the body and boosting DHEA levels. This diet should be very low in sugar and carbohydrates and very rich in phytonutrients and trace minerals from fresh, raw or lightly steamed vegetables. Powerful anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, ginger, rosemary, thyme, oregano, & cinnamon should be generously consumed on a regular basis...Healthy fat consumption is an essential part of creating cholesterol which is needed to produce DHEA. Healthy fat sources include coconut products, avocados, olive oil, nuts and seeds." <3 Wendy

This is the kind of diet I am trying to stick to. I am also trying to eliminate refined grains. Whole grain are okay for me like brown rice, splet... The scale is starting to go in the right direction. I do feel better too.

Rye
    you could also recount the best customers of the day. I know when I sub I try to think of those children who were kind and helpful. It does not change those who are not but it does help me shift my focus.

:heart: Margaret
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    First rain free sun shine day in a couple of weeks! :)

Rebecca and Lenora ~ Good luck today on your procedures.

Rye ~ Big hugs! Someone suggested that the lady may have been scared when the lights were being dimmed. I would have been afraid of getting locked in. Anyway, there was no excuse for the lady to pitch a fit.

Heather ~ Safe travels.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Qqq
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Packing nearly finished! :bigsmile:

Wendy - That diet sounds very like mine. I sometimes think I should take a photo of all the veggies on my plate! I'm an avocado addict!

Tried the newly arrived kombucha today. I liked it, but it tastes just like a soft drink and not a substitute for alcohol. :laugh: I won't need to take it on the ship.

Poor DH is suffering horribly with hay fever. No fun. I can hear him sighing and sneezing as he packs. :'(

Now to sort out my jewellery. B) Then I'm going to do a bit of recumbent bike for bonus calories. We will try to get a bit of gymming in first thing tomorrow morning. I'm washing my hair tonight. The car is coming for us at 10.15 and we have to go via the coast to pick up another couple. Sailing from the White Cliffs of Dover. I'm going to prepare a couple of granary cheese bagels for us, because we won't get there until well after lunch - boarding around 2.30, when they serve afternoon tea. I will treat myself to the bubbly stuff they serve on deck as we leave port around 4 pm with the orchestra playing. Then it's AF for the rest of the evening.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Packing nearly finished! :bigsmile:

Wendy - That diet sounds very like mine. I sometimes think I should take a photo of all the veggies on my plate! I'm an avocado addict!

Tried the newly arrived kombucha today. I liked it, but it tastes just like a soft drink and not a substitute for alcohol. :laugh: I won't need to take it on the ship.

Poor DH is suffering horribly with hay fever. No fun. I can hear him sighing and sneezing as he packs. :'(

Now to sort out my jewellery. B) Then I'm going to do a bit of recumbent bike for bonus calories. We will try to get a bit of gymming in first thing tomorrow morning. I'm washing my hair tonight. The car is coming for us at 10.15 and we have to go via the coast to pick up another couple. Sailing from the White Cliffs of Dover. I'm going to prepare a couple of granary cheese bagels for us, because we won't get there until well after lunch - boarding around 2.30, when they serve afternoon tea. I will treat myself to the bubbly stuff they serve on deck as we leave port around 4 pm with the orchestra playing. Then it's AF for the rest of the evening.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Oooh! Sounds lovely, Heather! Hope you have a great time. X
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Heather: There is an old saying, "He who lies down with dogs gets up with fleas." I think it is not to be taken literally, but is a metaphor about choosing good friends. In my experience, dogs are excellent friends and mine is top notch. He sleeps in my bedroom, but NOT in or on my bed. :noway: (PS: We treat him for fleas using products purchased from our veterinarian.) Some people enjoy furry pets and others do not. On the topic of motion sickness, the motion sickness pills I used to take have been linked as a possible or probable cause of Alzheimers. That includes the scopolamine patch and dramamine. We've switched entirely to ginger lozenges &/or capsules. They seem to be working just fine. I hope a nice ocean voyage clears up your DH's hay fever. Have a wonderful time! :heart:

(((Rye)))

Penny: I hope you're feeling better already. The huge temperature change you're experiencing would likely affect most of us about the same way. Stay warm! :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I hope that you and DH are able to find just the right place to call home. :heart:

Karen: Great photo of you with two of your dogs. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: Happy move to your new home! Congratulations! :bigsmile:

Rebecca & Lenora: Good luck with your medical procedures. I hope all goes exceedingly well. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today!!!!! We also have other errands to do. DH needs to go in to DMV to update his license to drive. He says this is not urgent and he has several weeks to get it done.

We're making progress on fitting out our new to us RV. We've ordered dishes & are still discussing what sorts of canisters to buy for our staples. We also need silverware. We have a set on the boat, but don't want to rob the boat of needed assets. We shall see how that goes.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon